Author Topic: Massively -> MassivelyOverpowered! {TITLE EDITED}  (Read 6337 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Massively -> MassivelyOverpowered! {TITLE EDITED}
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
Not 100% official but AOL is reported that they will be shutting down Joystiq, which also means Massively, the MMO news side site.

Now some weren't happy about Massively for some reason but they always treated CoH well and had extensive coverage of our protests and attempts of saving our game.

I for one would be sad if they are shut down.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:40:10 AM by Aggelakis »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: Joystiq shutting down rumor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »
Not surprising, AOL is in talks to be bought by Verizon which means shaving off dead weight. And frankly, trying to moderate and operate a community of angry video game nerds is not very profitable compared to their IM biz, the couple million people still using AOL dialup, and their internet advertising and branding arms.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:26 PM »
It's official.  Massively's last day is February 3rd.  If anyone wants to reminiscence.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/01/30/massively-that-was/

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
Tremendously saddened and upset about this, but I guess it makes a twisted kind of sense. Those guys and gals rose above the industry's worst problems, and it showed. They covered stories that other sites were too terrified to cover because of advertisers. AOL, the corporation that provides their budget, surely was not going to let them get away with that forever.

And yes, they were very good to us. They gave us more attention than any other news site, period, before and after the shutdown. The overwhelming majority of that attention was positive. There were some people who didn't bother to read the positive, and then tore into them for the occasional negative opinion or inconvenient fact. If those people truly want to live in a world where the profession cannot be honest, where it bows to its almighty advertisers and corporate overlords, well today they are one step closer.

I hope Massively's team stays together and strikes out on their own. I know, don't we always hope for that scenario, but it looks like they are seriously kicking the idea around.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »
And yes, they were very good to us. They gave us more attention than any other news site, period, before and after the shutdown. The overwhelming majority of that attention was positive.
That.  I'm going to miss having those guys around to cover gaming news.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
Aw, I enjoyed visiting Massively from time to time and reading their articles (heck, it's been my go-to site when it comes to MMOs for awhile). The Game Archaeologist was my favorite regular column, always an interesting read about very old MMOs. The soundtrack column was another favorite, gotta' appreciate games' great music.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:33:24 AM by FlyingCarcass »

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 02:24:29 AM »
wow insider is shutting down also. enjoyed all of the sites very much.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 06:02:02 PM »
wow insider is shutting down also. enjoyed all of the sites very much.

Well Joystiq, WoWInsider and Massively are a package deal.  WoWInsider to isolate WoW articles from Joystiq and Massively to cover all other MMOs.

But honest opinions, less hype, and a lack of click bate eyecandy doesn't drive page views.  PA said it the best.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:11:47 AM »
Yeah, pretty much that right now... why host honest journalism when it's cheaper and more profitable to pander?
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:11 PM »
Before massively I did most of my reading on mmorpg.com and even after finding massively I most just read CoX articles on it.

Surelle

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »
Their new name is Massively Overpowered (hehe!) and their new home page should be up soon.   http://www.massivelyop.com/

Their new twitter is:  https://twitter.com/massivelyop

Massively is dead.  Long live Massively!   8)

Surelle

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »
...Annnnnnd the MassivelyOP Kickstarter is up!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nbrianna/massively-overpowered

Surelle

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
The kickstarter was fully funded in under two days!  Woo hoo!  Massively Overpowered begins tomorrow if I saw that right!  It will be incomplete at first, and will likely improve over time, but the full team plans on reporting on the news, with streams, columns and all starting tomorrow.

http://massivelyop.net/

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 05:04:32 PM »
Well Joystiq, WoWInsider and Massively are a package deal.  WoWInsider to isolate WoW articles from Joystiq and Massively to cover all other MMOs.

Some of Joystick has moved over to Engadget, with the breakout of Joystiq X Engadget, at least on a temporary basis.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Some of Joystick has moved over to Engadget, with the breakout of Joystiq X Engadget, at least on a temporary basis.

Good to hear.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:26:22 AM by FatherXmas »

Surelle

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »

Rumor has it they only retained two people, and the readers aren't crazy about it, but I really only read Massively.

I'm so glad that Massively OP is back at any rate!  Even their so-called "interim site" looks better than their old AOL one.   ;)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:31 PM »
Rumor has it they only retained two people, and the readers aren't crazy about it, but I really only read Massively.

I'm so glad that Massively OP is back at any rate!  Even their so-called "interim site" looks better than their old AOL one.   ;)
that's what it looked like to me in the blog post, that basically two guys who had once upon a time worked for Joystiq had basically seized the name.
-Lex Luthor

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Massively -> MassivelyOverpowered! {TITLE EDITED}
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 04:54:19 AM »
I think supporting their Kickstarter was a great use of $5.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Massively -> MassivelyOverpowered! {TITLE EDITED}
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
CoX takes the second and third places in today's article on pet classes:

http://massivelyop.net/2015/02/13/perfect-ten-my-favorite-mmo-pet-classes/#more-280