Author Topic: So... Where to from here?  (Read 14781 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
So... Where to from here?
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:09:01 AM »
Hey all, so I've personally been a bit neglectful of the forums lately, tuned out of the CoH community a bit more than usual. There have been several reasons, but the long and short of it is that if you've been coming here regularly for updates on what's going on, you've probably been a bit stranded, possibly even moving on to other sources of information such as Facebook. Right now, we're kind of in a bit of a lull. The successor projects are all working to get something out, with Valiance Online having an alpha testing client out and the other two projects churning out regular updates but still both pretty far away from having something concrete out. There's periodic talk of discussions happening with NCsoft, but to be honest, I personally don't expect anything to come of them in the next few months (prove me wrong!).

I've been pondering where exactly I want the Titan Network to go in the future, and I have to admit, it's a real brain-scratcher to me.  I hate to just leave everything like it is, lest it basically become a museum.  So I thought I'd post a message to get some discussion going, both within the community and within the Titan Network administration, where do you want to go from here?

I've tossed around a bunch of ideas in my head, including things like:
  • Expanding the TN to include some other MMORPGs
  • Converting the site into a sort of social networky site a la Facebook, but geared at general gaming, or possibly MMORPGs in particular
  • Setting up a text/voice chat server for the use of former players, or even providing services such as a Don't Starve dedicated server for players (note: that's just an example!)
  • Shifting the focus of the site to a Slashdot-type site where we post gaming news and information
  • Refocusing on a different specific game, such as Champions Online
  • Streaming some game-playing with friends and members of the community
  • Coming up with a specific project, such as, I dunno, a superhero-themed card game, or a simple casual game, or something along those lines
  • Work on community mods for existing games, such as the CoH-themed Civilization V mod
That's not an exhaustive list of ideas, and there's no way in hell we could tackle all of them, and I've probably not even thought of the itch I most want scratched.

So the reason I'm posting here is because it's painfully obvious that it's just not going to be possible to post a constant stream of interesting CoH-related news and information; there's just too much time elapsing in between significant changes for us to call that the be-all and end-all of our purpose.  Now that doesn't mean that we won't continue to keep our ear to the rail and inform everyone of what's happening in that space, but just to jostle the ol' noodle and see if I can get a sense of what folks want from the Titan Network going forward, I'd really like to get your thoughts and opinions on the question presented in the subject of this thread.  Where do we want to go from here?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:26:20 AM by TonyV »

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Re: So... Where to from here?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »
Those are some interesting options, sure.

Myself, I think I've downloaded....maybe 8 other MMOs, Champions Online included, and although Champions "Looks" the most like CoH, the underlying mechanics were different enough that this old dog didn't want to learn that new trick. So, for me, "focus"-ing on another game - well, that wouldn't be for me. I was one of those players of CoH who felt that if I stopped playing CoH to play a different game, I would be missing out on CoH playtime. So, I never did. I mean, you can't serve two masters, can you? But - that's just me.

"Setting up a text/voice chat server for the use of former players, or even providing services such as a Don't Starve dedicated server for players (note: that's just an example!)"   -- This is interesting to me.

"Streaming some game-playing with friends and members of the community"   So is this.

Just my two cents.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Draeth Darkstar

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »
In my opinion, a refocusing of the Titan Network that would keep it true to its roots would be to broaden the scope a bit, from 'All Things City of Heroes' to 'All Things Superhero (Online?) Gaming,' which could incorporate some of the concepts from your bulleted list.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
I don't think anyone would object if titan broadened its focus.

Heck, doing so may even bring new folks into the fold, folks who may not have had the opportunity to play CoH, read something about it on titan and think to themselves,  "CoH looks like the sort of game I'd like to play. I'll keep an eye on these CoH spiritual successors or watch for news of a CoH revival."

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
I have been a die-hard CoHV fan/player since I2 Beta through closure.  I have played CO (no thanks), SWtOR (still play some), DC and Marvel Universes have played both (no thanks), Valiance Online (looks too much like CO for my taste)(no thanks).  For me the Titan Network was all about things related to City of Heroes/Villains.  I also follow progress on Atlas Park Revival (APR), Heroes & Villains, and The Phoenix Project.

Hopefully, we will get an update from Nate Downs about acquiring the CoHV IP and such from NCSoft.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

MaxEternal

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
Expanding the TN to include some other MMORPGs - As long as the focus still remains on CoH.  Maybe expanded "What other games are you playing now?"

Converting the site into a sort of social network site a la Facebook, but geared at general gaming, or possibly MMORPGs in particular I come to Titan to read about CoH related topics and probably would not enjoy a shift toward general gaming.   I am not sure how this would look as a social networking site but am open.

Setting up a text/voice chat server for the use of former players, or even providing services such as a Don't Starve dedicated server for players (note: that's just an example!)  Haven't used any of these ever but am open.

Shifting the focus of the site to a Slashdot-type site where we post gaming news and information  Eh - idk

Refocusing on a different specific game, such as Champions Online - Please not CO.   I wouldnt mind more of a focus on the successor projects.  I would like the successor project threads opened back up on here as opposed to the redirects to the individual project's forums... One of the best parts about the Titan forums before was that you could come to one place to discuss all the successor projects and CoH in one place.

Streaming some game-playing with friends and members of the community sounds interesting

Coming up with a specific project, such as, I dunno, a superhero-themed card game, or a simple casual game, or something along those lines - eh indifferent

Work on community mods for existing games, such as the CoH-themed Civilization V mod - eh indifferent

In Summary, I don't want to see the focus of these forums shift away from CoH at all.  Unless you have some inside information that the deal is unlikely or dead, I would like to see these forums focused on the Hail Mary Effort and various successor project rather than a shift to any other MMORPG or general MMORPG discussion.  I'm OK with any change in form as long as the theme of the site remains the same.  Thats just my two cents.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:32:09 AM by dannyb135 »

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »
I don't have a problem with things adapting or new elements. The Titan Network grew from an assembly of originally separate elements which all shared a theme. I wouldn't want to see creative people limited if someone has a new idea they'd like to investigate. Sure, a connection to COH would be nice, or at least the superhero theme. Dream on!

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »
A specific project like a superhero card or tabletop game sounds awesome. although I'd imagine it would take a lot of collaboration and co-operation from everyone on the forums. Focusing a little more on one of the still live Hero rivals would also be quite cool, I know champions gets a mention from time to time but no-one ever seems to talk about DCU on here anymore which is a shame. Talking about city of heroes focused modding efforts sounds amazing, hearing about projects like that would be awesome. And of course I think a bit more discussion about city of heroes in general would be a welcome change; maybe more people sharing character bios, or maybe even people collaborating in regards to character design; I.E. someone comes up with a character suggestion, and someone else makes it on icon and posts it, stuff like that'd be cool.

Regardless of what happens though, I'm glad that the lull in activity on the forums has been noticed and I greatly appreciate people trying to bring attention to the issue :D

Heroid

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
CoH-based Superhero MUSH?
aka, Heroid

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:54 AM »

• Coming up with a specific project, such as, I dunno, a superhero-themed card game, or a simple casual game, or something along those lines

Where do we want to go from here?

City of heroes teh deck building card game?

Cans successful troll gets first page?

Jokes aside, I personally wouldn' like the idea of opening the site to other MMOs any more so that it already is. Museum? I'd like to think of it as an interactive museum.

other than that I'll make better comments when i'm less asleep.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40:20 AM »
A COH themed card game where you had cards for your 18 primary/secondary powers and what not... I could see that getting addictive. This would depend on getting our mathematics enforcement division (coughArcanacough) to workout all the at affects, rules and what not.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »
Sentinels of the Multiverse coop card game is where I've been lately.  It'd be cool to talk about that stuff here (Boardgamegeek has a forum for SotM, but it's one of thousands).
Greater than Games also recently released Sentinel Tactics which is a miniatures team vs team game set in the same universe.  Could get into that as well.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 04:10:06 AM »
...Valiance Online (looks too much like CO for my taste)(no thanks). 

I hope you give Valiance Online another chance down the road.

I'm enjoying it a lot.   My current VO character is a super-strength / invulnerability tank and she plays very much like she would have in CoX.   Flying is much more natural in the current release.   

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 05:20:23 AM »
I've moderated a few unconstructive posts out of this thread to keep from getting sidetracked.  Just to be clear, this is not an indication that we're in any way thinking about taking down the Titan Network, and this is not the thread in which to speculate on such things.  I'm am talking about adding features and/or functionality, not subtracting.

Starhammer

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 06:12:31 AM »
I certainly would enjoy if Champions Online got inclusion in the Titan Network. Their wiki is horribly out of date and pretty much abandoned, and trying to search for useful info in their forums is a crapshoot that usually leads to archived posts that are equally out of date. I wonder if the CO community (what's left of it) might be spurred into keeping up on documentation if someone with an aptitude for it nudged things along.

I just hope it never goes away. It's comforting to have someplace to go look up the old info that sifts through the holes in the brain.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 07:35:51 AM »

I say expand into other games.  Doesn't really matter what kind.  It'll help people stay with this community even if they've given up MMO's entirely and gone into Steam or console games.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »

I've been pondering where exactly I want the Titan Network to go in the future, and I have to admit, it's a real brain-scratcher to me.  I hate to just leave everything like it is, lest it basically become a museum.  So I thought I'd post a message to get some discussion going, both within the community and within the Titan Network administration, where do you want to go from here?

I've tossed around a bunch of ideas in my head, including things like:
  • Expanding the TN to include some other MMORPGs
  • Converting the site into a sort of social networky site a la Facebook, but geared at general gaming, or possibly MMORPGs in particular
  • Setting up a text/voice chat server for the use of former players, or even providing services such as a Don't Starve dedicated server for players (note: that's just an example!)
  • Shifting the focus of the site to a Slashdot-type site where we post gaming news and information
  • Refocusing on a different specific game, such as Champions Online
  • Streaming some game-playing with friends and members of the community
  • Work on community mods for existing games, such as the CoH-themed Civilization V mod
That's not an exhaustive list of ideas, and there's no way in hell we could tackle all of them, and I've probably not even thought of the itch I most want scratched.

If I had to vote for two options, I'd vote being facebookish and expanding to other MMOs, more so super heroe MMO but if there's other MMOs that seem popular within the community then add them in too.

I personally like the site the way it is but I don't mind change either. Either way, I'm not going anywhere.

*Edited to add* Community live streams would be awesome as well. :)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
A COH themed card game where you had cards for your 18 primary/secondary powers and what not... I could see that getting addictive. This would depend on getting our mathematics enforcement division (coughArcanacough) to workout all the at affects, rules and what not.

I'm not knocking the idea, I mean it's beyond a great Idea, I said it was a joke cause unless we make it completely free via the Fair Use laws we'd never get the licensing rights necessary for it.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »
I'm not knocking the idea, I mean it's beyond a great Idea, I said it was a joke cause unless we make it completely free via the Fair Use laws we'd never get the licensing rights necessary for it.

Just call it Titan City Heroes. Re-name the attacks. The issue would be are we creating our own art or taking icon screen shots?
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 07:14:46 PM »
Just call it Titan City Heroes. Re-name the attacks. The issue would be are we creating our own art or taking icon screen shots?

We'd have to use CoH symbolism, that would be enough to generate a C&D. again I don't want to be a downer,  really like the idea.