Author Topic: Paging Leandro - seeking Splasher  (Read 9352 times)

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
Paging Leandro - seeking Splasher
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:18 AM »
This isn't strictly speaking Paragon Chat content, but it's related. I figure since PC has me looking at that loading screen...

I'd really like to use another screen. I had CoH Splasher back in the day but after extensive poking around in my folders, I simply don't have the .exe any more, though I still have some of my screens.

Any chance of getting a copy?

Scrapperlock in ten... nine...

Leandro

• Elite Boss
Re: Paging Leandro - seeking Splasher
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
I don't have it anymore. It shouldn't be too difficult to put something together just for the loading screen. I'll get back to you.

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »
Here's a zip file of what I have, if that helps at all... I loved this program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mny32wi9104wpdb/CohSplasher.zip?dl=0

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:29:35 AM »
I don't have it anymore. It shouldn't be too difficult to put something together just for the loading screen. I'll get back to you.

Thank you kindly for taking a look!

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:31:15 AM »
Here's a zip file of what I have, if that helps at all... I loved this program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mny32wi9104wpdb/CohSplasher.zip?dl=0

Thank you! I'm not sure I can get it to run on Windows 10, the install moved things around I think and I'm getting a registry error but I appreciate your efforts!

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:58 PM »
Haven't been able to get the CoHSplasher to run as of yet. My guess it that is isn't installed but I'm kind of at a dead end. Any suggestions welcomed.

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
I think they changed a format or location of the splash screen and that invalidated how the Splasher program worked. I remember using it from before and at some point it didn't work.

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »
I think they changed a format or location of the splash screen and that invalidated how the Splasher program worked. I remember using it from before and at some point it didn't work.

Yes, I used to have it and it did stop working but it's been so long I don't remember exactly when.

I think this avenue may be dead ending, so I will hope most hopefully that Leandro or someone else with SkilZ can help out. I don't want all the bells and whistles, just want to replace the game loading and login screens. Those two guys bug me...  :P

My favorite loading screen that I made back when my copy of Splasher worked, BTW was this one...

:) :) :)

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:00:14 PM »
FOUND IT!!! Woot!

Here's the long lost install file for Splasher v.1.25!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hrqvyw825nl66b/cohsplasher125.exe?dl=0

Took a bit, but I found it via the Wayback archive.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 01:55:55 AM »
How does this program work?  I never tried it before, but looks interesting.  Do you upload a pic into the UI or something?

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:22:38 PM »
FOUND IT!!! Woot!

Here's the long lost install file for Splasher v.1.25!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hrqvyw825nl66b/cohsplasher125.exe?dl=0

Took a bit, but I found it via the Wayback archive.

Wow, thanks for finding the install file, that is going above and beyond!

I've downloaded it, and installed it. Looked like it installed fine. However when I run the program, it seems to be working, but afterwards, my screens are still the existing I24 ones.

If you don't mind a few questions, can you look at your files and tell me where you have it installed, and where the screens are saved to?

I have installed CoHSplasher to my CoH Beta folder, install created it in the subfolder CoHSplasher.

I'm running it as admin, and it seems to be going through the motions but I'm not getting a different screen when I launch CoH. I've looked around and I don't see any new files created after I run the screen selection.

You've already done a lot, thanks for everything. :)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:20:14 AM by MomentaryGrace »

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 03:38:58 AM »
Shortly after Freedom launched a few of the screens didn't work anymore, however the billboards and music swaps still do, which makes it still worthwhile.

Glad it installed okay.

JadeFalcon

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:57 AM »
This thread may help.

Basically you need to move the .texture file Splasher creates to the folder path I mentioned and rename it. Then hex edit the path data to match the path data that I24 normally uses.

Download the .texture file I posted in that thread and use a hex editor to copy the path data into your new .texture file. All of the data in the first several lines of the file need to match exactly or it won't work. It may take several attempts to duplicate the data properly, so try not to be discouraged if it doesn't work at first.

Alternately, you can download this .texture file to copy the data from instead of the other one. I've uploaded this one in response to this thread that asked for a classic splash screen, but the thread got locked so I can't post the link there. This is the splash screen I've been using in I24 for the last couple of years.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
After much digging through old DVDs, I found the Splasher source code and updated it.

Splasher v1.30 release notes

• The login and character selection screens will now write to the texture files used by Issue 21 onwards.
  • "Splash Randomizer" will now attempt to launch paragonchat.exe instead of cohupdater.
  • Alpha textures will be compressed using -bc3 if nvcompress is used.
  • Removed separate handling of City of Villains login/character selection screen.
  • Removed French, German and English UK client selection.
  • Removed the "Check for updates" feature.

Download link: http://patch.savecoh.com/cohsplasher130.exe

This does not mean I'll be supporting this thing again. It's nearly 10 years old and I expected someone else to write something much better by now. I did not do any testing on the Music, Textures, or Online tabs.

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »
Excellent. Now instead of looking at Creepy Marauder, I'm greeted by a friendly donut when I login.

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
After much digging through old DVDs, I found the Splasher source code and updated it.

Splasher v1.30 release notes

• The login and character selection screens will now write to the texture files used by Issue 21 onwards.
  • "Splash Randomizer" will now attempt to launch paragonchat.exe instead of cohupdater.
  • Alpha textures will be compressed using -bc3 if nvcompress is used.
  • Removed separate handling of City of Villains login/character selection screen.
  • Removed French, German and English UK client selection.
  • Removed the "Check for updates" feature.

Download link: http://patch.savecoh.com/cohsplasher130.exe

This does not mean I'll be supporting this thing again. It's nearly 10 years old and I expected someone else to write something much better by now. I did not do any testing on the Music, Textures, or Online tabs.

THANK YOU!

I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to support an old piece of software, but this is making me very very happy, and I see the joy spreading... ;)

I have new screens!!!!!!!!

AND

YAAAAAAAYYY!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Just as a matter of "hmm, that's interesting" I noticed that changing the Setting for screen size works fine for the character screen but the login screen stays constrained to 1024x768 with black sidebars that are not on the Login.png. I suspect that might be I24 though, I noticed the same on the I24 login screen.

This is truly awesome. Between travel "powers" and now being able to customize my login and character screens, this week is a bit like the present gifting holiday of your choice. Much happiness, and especially appreciated as this has been a stressful week already!

*does happy dance of thanks!*

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 06:46:46 PM »
This thread may help.

Basically you need to move the .texture file Splasher creates to the folder path I mentioned and rename it. Then hex edit the path data to match the path data that I24 normally uses.

Download the .texture file I posted in that thread and use a hex editor to copy the path data into your new .texture file. All of the data in the first several lines of the file need to match exactly or it won't work. It may take several attempts to duplicate the data properly, so try not to be discouraged if it doesn't work at first.

Alternately, you can download this .texture file to copy the data from instead of the other one. I've uploaded this one in response to this thread that asked for a classic splash screen, but the thread got locked so I can't post the link there. This is the splash screen I've been using in I24 for the last couple of years.

Thank you, JadeFalcon!

This information is still very helpful towards having some idea of what Splasher is actually doing, and where!

I really appreciate it. :)