Author Topic: NCSoft Profits Down!  (Read 9031 times)

Canine

• Lieutenant
Re: NCSoft Profits Down!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
I'm not totally sure that is something that whould necessarily be celebrated.

If they were to fold, then lots of other players of their other games would potentially get the same kick in the gut that he hard core CoX fans got.

I'm not sure I wish that on anyone else.

Of course, NCSoft haven't had a penny off me since they killed CoX and Paragon Studios, but that was a personal decision I made by and for myself.

Also, MMO's seem to have been on a downward trend, in western markets at least, for a good while now, so I'm not sure that falling profits from a major player in MMO's should really be a surprise.

Meh, waffling now, I'll shut up.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
It would be celebration worthy if it encouraged them to sell off the CoX IP.  Otherwise, it is just more bad news that serves no real purpose.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »
Also, MMO's seem to have been on a downward trend, in western markets at least, for a good while now, so I'm not sure that falling profits from a major player in MMO's should really be a surprise.

The novelty of walking around in a 3D world has definitely faded now that we have 3D TV and such. I bet when they can add a gaming interface to your brain, and you can enter a virtual world all first-person like the Matrix, the market will go to previously unseen levels.

I try not to have a negative attitude toward NCSoft, but they really ganked this community. I am all for them staying afloat until Nate and crew get the IP rights and/or a server image.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »
The novelty of walking around in a 3D world has definitely faded now that we have 3D TV and such. I bet when they can add a gaming interface to your brain, and you can enter a virtual world all first-person like the Matrix, the market will go to previously unseen levels.

I try not to have a negative attitude toward NCSoft, but they really ganked this community. I am all for them staying afloat until Nate and crew get the IP rights and/or a server image.

Dunno... If they go bankrupt and have to start auctioning off assets to pay off debts, we might just get more, faster.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »
Dunno... If they go bankrupt and have to start auctioning off assets to pay off debts, we might just get more, faster.

Good point!

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 02:57:01 AM »
This is going to affect people's jobs.  People that aren't even at NCSoft.  And the gamers thereto who still enjoy what they have to offer.

We can dislike NCSoft as a company, but let's not wish ill to them, it's really beneath us.

But we can maybe think of the possible it does steer the sale in the right direction, of course... nothin' wrong with that.

Ravynwynd

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
BEARS ARE LEAD TO HONEY NOT VINEGAR.

IF NEGOTIATIONS ARE BEING MADE WITH PEOPLE OF NCSOFT, THEN MWM WILL WANT THE PEOPLE OF NCSOFT TO BE IN A GOOD MOOD?

ON THE OTHER HAND, IF THINGS ARE NOT GOING WELL, NCSOFT MIGHT BE MORE INCLINED TO MAKE DEALS TO STIMULATE THEIR PROJECTS.

BUT.

WHAT'S THE SAYING?  KICK THEM WHEN THEIR UP, KICK THEM WHEN THEIR DOWN.

AND I AGREE, NOT TO CELEBRATE IN OTHERS SUFFERING.

HOWEVER. THAT'S LIFE, AND SOME OF US HAVE BEEN GRIEVED BY NCSOFTS ACTIONS, MAYBE WE COULD SUE THEM FOR MENTAL ANGUISH?

JUST KIDDING.

the end

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »
^ imagining previous poster with a giant bullhorn, screaming at the top of their lungs.

And this, kids, is why we stay away from the capslock button.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »

We can dislike NCSoft as a company, but let's not wish ill to them, it's really beneath us.

It's really not beneath me at all, to be honest. Even knowing the consequences I can easily wish ill upon them. I can also hope that if everything falls apart there are people around to pick the pieces up and keep going. I'm a very simple person.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »
^ imagining previous poster with a giant bullhorn, screaming at the top of their lungs.

so that's why the end seemed so underwhelming

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »

I just use the leetkey plugin I've got for firefox, and toggle it all to lower case if I can be arsed to read big blocks of caps.  Usually, I can't.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 08:20:23 PM »
I don't believe stocks or any price drops will affect the speed of CoH returning. The only factor to it's return is the legal work and most importantly: Time.
I believe the whole deal is really on spare time of both THeM and NCSoft, and not really a "On the wire" type deal as I believe some in the community to perceive.
It's just a matter of time, really :>.(or so I think.)
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »

YOU CAN TAKE OUR POSTS...

BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE...

OUR CAPSLOCK!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »
It's really not beneath me at all, to be honest. Even knowing the consequences I can easily wish ill upon them. I can also hope that if everything falls apart there are people around to pick the pieces up and keep going. I'm a very simple person.

I only wish for the company to go under, for all of its employees to immediately find new and better jobs, and for all the people who had anything at all to do with CoH's closing to immediately lose their favorite thing forever (and to be thereafter constantly told "Look, here are many things that are terrible pale imitation of your favorite thing, so it's okay that your favorite thing is gone" whenever they say anything about what they lost)

That's not bad, is it?

Inc42

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
I am guessing this was posted here in remembrance of back during the closure of the game a lot of forum users on Titan were watching the NCSoft stock as it plummeted for quite a while. Mostly I think we were hoping they would notice the direct correlation (close CoH = huge loss of profits), but a lot of us did take a lot of satisfaction and even glee as we watched Guild Wars 2 preorders and initial sales go through and still not recover it. Eventually it obviously did recover, and eventually we realized that they were not going to change their minds despite loosing so much money, and we all moved on.

KidKourage

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 09:14:14 PM »
I mostly agree with Canine.  I've said since the announcement that ending COH was a business decision for NCSoft and they don't have to explain/justify their actions.  But then they have to acknowledge that for me the decision was personal.  I cannot play any of their games nor recommend them to any of my friends based on this experience.  The idea that this company is willing to burn and bury any property it controls without any obvious rational should be terrifying to any prospective player.  Do I hate them?  Yes.  Do I want all their employees out of work and customers left is the same position we are?  No.

FeliciaDivine

• Lieutenant
    • IMVU Fashion Elite
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 01:40:16 AM »
 I don't understand why this is hard to understand?
 Pre-sales on GW2 was 250,000...CoH had 50,000 members but only 33,200 paying customers at shutdown...
 NCSOft is not financially hurt either...those game sales are down...but Lineage (the first one) is in the Asian market and one of the top 10 games in the market currently as I write this...with more people playing Lineage than there are playing WoW...how are they hurting?
 Your information is based on American market which has less than a million players while NCSoft is primarily Asian with a billion possible players...yes I said Billion...China alone has 1.1 Billion people...not including Korea (where the head company is), Vietnam, Japan and other markets.

CoH has THE most passionate players...but sorry guys...the numbers are not there to keep this active...without a lot of help. We need better advertising, more media attention and the passion kept alive. With Leandro and Codewalker hard at work the Dream shall continue. Let's always keep up our support as well!!!

Surelle

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »
I don't understand why this is hard to understand?
 Pre-sales on GW2 was 250,000...CoH had 50,000 members but only 33,200 paying customers at shutdown...
 NCSOft is not financially hurt either...those game sales are down...but Lineage (the first one) is in the Asian market and one of the top 10 games in the market currently as I write this...with more people playing Lineage than there are playing WoW...how are they hurting?
 Your information is based on American market which has less than a million players while NCSoft is primarily Asian with a billion possible players...yes I said Billion...China alone has 1.1 Billion people...not including Korea (where the head company is), Vietnam, Japan and other markets.

CoH has THE most passionate players...but sorry guys...the numbers are not there to keep this active...without a lot of help. We need better advertising, more media attention and the passion kept alive. With Leandro and Codewalker hard at work the Dream shall continue. Let's always keep up our support as well!!!

I agree, especially with the "With Leandro and Codewalker hard at work the Dream shall continue. Let's always keep up our support as well!!!" part.

SCoRE has been for some time, and likely always will be, our best shot at ever seeing CoH back in any form.  Let's not forget to support them in their efforts.  Three cheers!