Author Topic: An Interesting Point About the Alignment Mission Page  (Read 3144 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
An Interesting Point About the Alignment Mission Page
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
I read this note on the Alignment Mission discussion page left by Corlagon today:

I've been hoping for a complete list of Alignment and Morality missions, not just the ones which already have their own articles, sorted by level range (and type, of course), so we can easily see what exists in the first place. There doesn't seem such a list anywhere on the Web so far. I was just going to "be bold" and expand the existing listing here, only to find it's automatic.

I'm thinking this brings up a couple of interesting points.

If someone is playing a character and wondering which alignment missions are available in their level range, the information they need isn't available at a glance.  Now, we can probably fix that rather easily by adding categories for level ranges similar to the ones we have for contacts (e.g. "Hero Alignment Missions (45-50)") and linking those from the Alignment Mission page.  Any thoughts on this?

Since we auto-generate the list of alignment missions, expanding the list of missions isn't as straightforward as it is, for example, in the Hero Story Arcs page.  For now, I've recommended on the Alignment Mission discussion page to create empty articles for missions that we know exist but haven't recorded the details to fill out the page.  If anyone has a better suggestion, this would probably be a good time to discuss that, too.

All that being said, I get the impression that what Corlagon was really looking for was a way to put all of the information for the missions into a single, sortable table similar to the tables on the Task Force and Strike Force pages.  Now, I know the resulting tables would be rather monstrous, so I'm not suggesting we do that.  However, I do think it's worth finding some method of at least providing all of that information on the page.  If there's a better method anyone can think of than the combination of the above suggestions, I'm open to hearing ideas.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
Re: An Interesting Point About the Alignment Mission Page
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
I'd agree with simply making empty pages for the missions that haven't been detailed yet. The big problem is the various missions are restricted to level ranged, so you can't run around with a lv50 tagging all of them.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:30 AM »
We also need to differentiate between Hero Tips that a rogue gets vs. Hero Tips that a hero or vigilante get, as well as Villain Tips that a vigilante gets vs. Villain Tips that a villain or rogue get.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:44 AM »
We also need to differentiate between Hero Tips that a rogue gets vs. Hero Tips that a hero or vigilante get, as well as Villain Tips that a vigilante gets vs. Villain Tips that a villain or rogue get.
edit: totally disregard this, I am attempting to expand my details better
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:21:23 AM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:52:15 AM »
I'd agree with simply making empty pages for the missions that haven't been detailed yet. The big problem is the various missions are restricted to level ranged, so you can't run around with a lv50 tagging all of them.
We were talking about this before.. somewhere.. it might not have been about Tips themselves, but something.. mission or contact related (I think regarding the Mission: namespace change? Now I can't find it!)

There is a way to "hide" categories, so that they don't show up on the article page themselves, but they are still available for tagging. We could have, for instance:

Category:Hero Alignment Missions 20-29
Category:Vigilante Alignment Missions 20-29
Category:Villain Alignment Missions 20-29
Category:Rogue Alignment Missions 20-29
etc. etc.

This could be done with a template, something like (Note: if typed H, it would apply both Hero and Vigilante categories, since that's how they come, if typed V, it would apply both Villain and Rogue)

{{Alignment Mission|Name=A Biting Wind|Level=40-50|Type=H}}

which would give

==={{UL|A Biting Wind (40-50)}}=== [[Category:Hero Alignment Missions 40-50]][[Category:Vigilante Alignment Missions 40-50]]

Then we could DPL up a list of each block of missions via categorization. We could even DPL up different lists -- e.g. {Category:Hero 20-29|Category:Villain 20-29} -- to get all Tips in a single level range.

-------------------------

Morality Missions are SLIGHTLY different, since they are applicable to all four alignments separately. So it would be something like: (H, Vig, Vil, R)

{{Morality Mission|Name=The Unusual Suspect|Level=40-50|Type=H}}

=== {{UL|The Unusual Suspect (40-50)}} === [[Category:Hero Morality Missions 40-50]]
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
I did not have an elaborate table in mind, just a list much like the current one except further split by level. But splitting the categories should already make them useful in this regard (well, except that a custom list could be explicitly marked as incomplete).

Yes, I think Rogue-to-Hero and Vigilante-to-Villain missions need to be discussed before I start adding some of those. I think they need distinct categories, mixing them with the others would only confuse readers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:32:03 PM by Corlagon »