Author Topic: Plan "B" - Save What We Can (Character Creator)  (Read 8089 times)

TinFoil

• Minion
Plan "B" - Save What We Can (Character Creator)
« on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »
This might be out of line, if so, please just delete it...

Quite a while back when NCSoft was making a push to popularize City of Heroes in Korea, a stand alone character creator was released to the public (free of charge; no log-in required as I remember). It got tinkered with quite a bit upon release and I remember the masses found a way to translate the software from Korean to English.

For the most part, the software was forgotten. If you wanted to play with the character creator, you could always just log-in and have all the updated goodies to play with. I vaguely recall around 2007 an effort was being made to update the files in the character creator to reflect the many, many updates that had come out to that point. I have no idea of the success of this project.

So here we are in 2012 and we're losing a piece of gaming history. I am a stern believer of remembering where we came from in regards to video game lore. As such, I'm an avid supporter of projects like MAME and the players/speed runners that keep at least some spotlight on classic games. If I was forced to pick one aspect of City of Heroes that was revolutionary, it would be the community; if I had to pick another, more preservable aspect, it would be the character creator. It's something that will take years, maybe even decades to duplicate in the gaming world as so few games have the need for such a high level of custom character design. Ten years from now when someone points out how many options a game has for the way you look, we need to be able to point them to the character creator from City of Heroes and say, "It's still not as good as this".

I'm afraid I can't offer much more than an idea... Maybe it's possible to add new options to the Korean stand-alone creator, maybe it would be easier just to try to lift the current creator -- I simply don't know. What I do know, though, is the character creator is the stuff of legend and could be a suitable legacy for our beloved game if all else fails.

Lost.Ninja

• Underling
Re: Plan "B" - Save What We Can (Character Creator)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »
It wasn't so much forgotten as canned as it had implications at the time toward the case marvel/dc/et al were making about copyright infringment. The software was only released to the Korean market, all other use of it was actively discouraged. And I doubt that it wouldn't be easier to create a new application to have an external costume creator that references the .pigg files to use current costume parts. Than to RE and rebuild the 2007 version.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »
I have the creator. It only has the old costume pieces and stuff though. I wonder if we can add more...

John Phaser

• Minion
    • CoH Veterans (FR)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:16:05 AM »
I have it too. It isn't very clear to switch in english language, but it works.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »

I'm afraid I can't offer much more than an idea... Maybe it's possible to add new options to the Korean stand-alone creator, maybe it would be easier just to try to lift the current creator -- I simply don't know. What I do know, though, is the character creator is the stuff of legend and could be a suitable legacy for our beloved game if all else fails.

Ironically, just a few months ago some people on a Pen and Paper Superhero Role Playing Game forum were asking if there were any good programs for illustrating their original characters concepts.  I told them that if they didn't play City of Heroes, to download the free game and use the character creator there to make their characters and save snapshots of their creations.

I dug out my copy of the Korean City of Hero character creator and installed it on my Windows 7 machine.  Still works fine.  It would be nice to have an updated version with all costume options available to create or display our own characters as an electronic scrapbook.

Gothica

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
anyone willing to make the character creator available to the rest of us?

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
They killed demonoid so the best i can do is send it on skype...I don't know about anyone else.

Bohmfalk

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
You can send things on skype?

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:53:54 AM »
yes, you can send files on skype.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:33:42 AM »
anyone willing to make the character creator available to the rest of us?

I just created a torrent for coh_sengsung.exe which is the name of the Korean standalone CoH Character Creator.  It's currently uploading to various Torrent sites, but not sure when the seed file will complete, since A) this is the first time I've tried anything like this, and B) it's over 200 Megs in size.

Fingers crossed,

Sugoi

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:27 AM »
Is yours in english? becuase mine is not. It has instructions to change it but they are complicated and i'm lazy about that stuff unless i need it. I'm happy i have one at all but i wish it had the powers and the rest of the costume parts. The new ones and all the wings. It's so basic. We have so many more things we can add to our characters...so many more catagories. This is like CO and i always said that CO is a dumbed down version of coh. The stuff we take for granted.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:14:40 AM by Moonfyire101 »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »
Is yours in english? becuase mine is not. It has instructions to change it but they are complicated and i'm lazy about that stuff unless i need it. I'm happy i have one at all but i wish it had the powers and the rest of the costume parts. The new ones and all the wings. It's so basic. We have so many more things we can add to our characters...so many more catagories. This is like CO and i always said that CO is a dumbed down version of coh. The stuff we take for granted.
The entire structure of costume mechanics has change drastically since that was put out.  Many of the costume pieces in that creator aren't even compatible with the current costume creator (changed names, updated textures, etc.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
Is yours in english? becuase mine is not.

No, my program is the Korean one.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »
Now that would be awesome to have.  I had it ages ago, but sadly deleted it (kicks self).  I would love to have a copy !

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
I think Codewalker said something about being able to set up a dummy server that would allow us to get as far as the CC in the actual game if we still had it installed. It's not anywhere near the top of his list at the minute, but it seemed like it's pretty easy for him to do if we end up needing it. So don't worry folks, everything will be fine  :)
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

TinFoil

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
There is a way to change it to English floating around out there on the web. It requires some reg-editing if I recall correctly, so it would be something you'd want to do only if you felt comfortable with that sort of thing.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 12:26:19 AM »
i have the instructions on how to change it to english. I can post them tomorrow night.

sturm375

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »
To change most of it to English:

"Open the Registry Editor -- Start, Run, regedit (for XP, I think W2K users want regedt32 instead)
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Cryptic, KRCOH
In the right-hand pane, double-click and change the Locale value to 0
In the left-hand pane, right-click on KRCOH and select Permissions
Click Advanced, then Add
Type 'Everyone' (no quotes) and hit OK
Tick Set Value for "Full Access" - Deny
Click OK, Yes, OK, and close the editor. "

For Win7 use "regedit.exe" to make the changes

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 02:06:47 AM »
beat me to it