Author Topic: Event: Save Paragon base building contest! Anyone can help!  (Read 21771 times)

obs inc

Event: Save Paragon base building contest! Anyone can help!
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:36:53 AM »
Since being introduced, one of the most uniquely liberating, pioneering and impressive aspect of Cities has been the ability to create then decorate our bases. It's time to show them off to the world! There have been many base building contests. This is the one to rule them all. Here's what's goin' down.

We're makin' a movie! Take us through those rooms which demonstrate your best, most unique base building efforts accompanied or preceded by exquisitely short statements regarding your sentiments towards the game, that room, what happens in that room, or reason why bases should be preserved. If the general public wouldn't know what your room is just by looking, feel free to write that. You may also place a (non-negative!) message of your choosing for the viewers. Our secondary goal is raising the interest of Minecraft, Second Life and other building game players in Cities.

I think part of the reason Cities has a small population these days is poor marketing. In my opinion, we shouldn't have a potential client pool of 300,000 players. It should be 13,000,000 people who want to make things. That's personal conjecture, though. Bonus points if you incorporate your message into the base by sinking items in to the floor, placing them on a wall, or floating them. Would help cut down on film time. We wanna lotta bing-bang-boom with the shiny things and the impressive stuff!  ;D

Theme: Save Paragon!
Prize: Preservation of their work on the whole should the game survive, and the immortalizing of at least their submitted work should the game perish.
Who wins first prize: Every one.
Who loses: Us if we don't succeed as a whole.
Entry limit: NONE!
Deadline: Friday, October 12.

We need:

1.) Base builders!
2.) People willing to offer up rooms to the effort - not just blank rooms to be decorated, but existing rooms of incredible craftsmanship you feel should be included. If there's a short message you want added, I can show you how (but my account lapsed, so I can't do base work off of Infinity).
3.) People who can film the footage if basebuilders can't submit film themselves.
4.) Some one who's better at video editing than I am, which isn't hard to do. We may need text inserted or overlaid, would be great if you knew that but we'll figure it out.

Thank you all for being you!

Responses go down here. Discuss  ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:12:15 PM by TonyV »

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action: Save Paragon base building contest! Anyone can help!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
I know of a few good base builders. If we get a video person, this could make a good encapsulation of a feature that is only available in CoH.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:27:18 AM »
@nitro-girl is a stellar base builder. If you can't get in touch with her, let me know - I THINK I can still get into one of my characters in Pillars of Virtue. Their base is great, and her villaingroup base is better. :) (Tell her I sent you, yes, my forum name is my global.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Kurrent

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:48:55 AM »
I'll throw out @Cale Westmarch as another excellent base builder.  His base he built for Sisterhood is amazing, and he's done several more.  I can take people through the Sisterhood one on Liberty any time; just send me a tell at @kurrent.  His three-level loft library is one of the most amazing pieces of work I've seen in a long time.  I've done a few good rooms for my bases, especially our villain base on Triumph, but I'm not in Cale's league.

The most mind-blowing base work I've seen personally was Mr. Hassenpfeffer's.  Not 100% sure on the spelling, but you can find his work in the main forums if you want to check it out.

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:08:54 AM »
I'll pass this onto the awesome base builders I know.

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 09:24:33 AM »
A spectacular idea!  Zwillinger suggested we should use video sharing on social media and this promotes how a player can create and build social ties, enhancing customer loyalty, to investors.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
A spectacular idea!  Zwillinger suggested we should use video sharing on social media and this promotes how a player can create and build social ties, enhancing customer loyalty, to investors.
There is talk about making a youtube channel for the cause, but I'm not exactly sure who is handling it.This would be an excellent addition! 

frazier

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
I'll throw out @Cale Westmarch as another excellent base builder.  His base he built for Sisterhood is amazing, and he's done several more.  I can take people through the Sisterhood one on Liberty any time; just send me a tell at @kurrent.  His three-level loft library is one of the most amazing pieces of work I've seen in a long time.  I've done a few good rooms for my bases, especially our villain base on Triumph, but I'm not in Cale's league.

The most mind-blowing base work I've seen personally was Mr. Hassenpfeffer's.  Not 100% sure on the spelling, but you can find his work in the main forums if you want to check it out.

Don't let Kurrent fool you, she does some awesome base building too. She can also give a tour of her own base for The Sisterhood of Villains on Triumph.

Not throwing you under the base, just giving you a shout out for the awesome work you do! :-)

Liz_Bathory

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
I am planning to at least finish as far as I can ..

- A spaceship
- the rebuilded main hall for the court of the blood countess

Both will be good features in the space

I also own SG's with...

- A TV studio
- A Policeoffice
- Valhalla

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
While we're at it, in line with the "in game advertisements" thread, I suggest somebody looking for inspiration create a "retail store" in their base to show off the potential of already-extant modeling stuff. Obviously, if you can do as well as I am sure some of you can with that, a few purpose-designed "retail store" items would make it not just easy but fun and attractive for, say, Amazon Book Store or a Target Online Store (as examples).

Also, as just a personal dare to see if the fans can do it: a movie theater.

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
A friend of mine has a near-completed mall built. Stores, food court, movie theater. I think the department store is still a WIP, though.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
A friend of mine has a near-completed mall built. Stores, food court, movie theater. I think the department store is still a WIP, though.
Awesome. Make sure they get it into this movie!

We can use some of this to try to show potential investors how the game could be used to turn ever-more profit, if we can get NCSoft to part with the IP. And the heavier-hitting our potential investors, the more likely said parting will be.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »
Are you saying you want footage taken WHILE the bases are being built, or just a walkthrough of the finished product?

Flying Code Monkey

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
I'm far from an expert base builder, but the niche I made for our Monster Hunters Club on Liberty is decent work (robotics lab, dojo hall, trophy room, etc.).  I'm unclear from the OP how the base footage is being collected, though.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »
I can show off a couple of mine, for those interested.  Need a date/time scheduled or I can demorecord.

Flying Code Monkey

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »

Heh ... somebody want video?  So far Bright and I have collected about three TERABYTES of fraps movies.  We have mothership raids, incarnate trials, tips missions, task forces, Hamidon raids, base tours, giant monster fights, rampaging masterminds, sneaky stalkers, the entirety of the Dark Astoria incarnate content, and quite a bit more.  If someone wants footage of cool in-game stuff, I probably have a good sample.  I've no idea how to use it productively, though.  It isn't helpful for me to post a thousand individual minutes of clips to my own tiny FB audience.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
Somebody needs to do a demorecord in a base as its being altered and see if it updates properly. No idea if there's commands in there to capture that information since demos seem to expect maps to be static.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »
You can demorecord a base (it looks like a tangled mess of text in the file, but Codewalker and Guy Perfect mentioned that the base structure can be extracted from that - including storage contents), but I don't know what happens to that definition if something in the base changes while being recorded.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Eldershinjo

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 10:33:38 PM »
A friend of mine pointed this out to me, so... Here my first post here on Titan Network!

My base has, literally been a WIP for years, but has only recently started to come together (being a one-person SG for so long, the Prestige gain was slow. x.x Thank god for the friends I made that started helping me on the project...) I'm not sure if it will be finished before November 30th
I don't consider myself an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I am proud of what I have built, and would love to show it off to anyone that would like to see it.

Edit: Oh yeah... Might help if you knew how to contact me in-game... @Naomi Shinjo on Virtue. Drop me a mail anytime, and I'll get back to you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:05:29 PM by Eldershinjo »
Always remember... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing...

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
I have a couple of bases on Virtue that I could offer up... but I'd need someone to come in and fly around for any demofiles. My old computer doesn't have the best graphics.

edit to add: @Siberian Spring any time after 8pm PT M-Th or anytime at all on Sat/Sun.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:43:53 PM by baisleac »