Author Topic: News?  (Read 240997 times)

Kitsudragon

• Underling
Re: News?
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Ooh. Nice! Any chance you can post a link to pictures? :)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »
Ooh. Nice! Any chance you can post a link to pictures? :)

Well, here's The Seraphym (in SWC)/Seraphic Flame (in CoH)

And here's the Ghost Widow doll

Enough thread hijacking.

This is what we know for sure.

As of Friday, Brian Clayton told me he had hoped to have news this week but that negotiations were still going strong.  As of a few minutes ago, there was no further word.  I assume this means nothing has changed.

NCSoft has blinked.  They are giving us our money back.

NCSoft has blinked.  They have given us a dedicated email address to send our comments and concerns to.

NCSoft has (through Andy) announced that they are not interested in continuing to support the game and are committed to the Nov 30 shutdown date on the NCSoft side.

This is what we know, anything else is pure conjecture.

Point one: good.  In business, no news is generally encouraging.

Point two: VERY good

Point three:  VERY good, they are getting a bit shook up by our united front

Point four:  Nov 30 shutdown.  Well this sucks a little, since I was hoping they would agree to something longer for a smoother transition, should we get a buyer, but it's still doable with a little downtime, depending on whether or not anyone still has the code for the OLD launcher around Paragon, and whether or not the deal will include the original servers.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

steve1967

• Minion
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
Ms. Lackey,

First, thanks for the encouragement and the quasi-inside dope.  I continue to be hopeful since I don't think anyone has yet seen this kind of grassroots response in gaming.

Second, the dolls are amazing.

(Still, dolls totally freak me out.  Make a doll mastermind powerset in the game and I will run screaming from the monitor...)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
A big YEP to everything VV has said.
Hiya, VV, I'm only just getting to know ya, as it were, and it's looking to be a pleasure.

I've seen a growing defeatist sentiment on the official forums (before these latest announcements). I suppose it is to be expected, but I'm spinning my brain a bit to conjure up some ways to help inspire people a little.

Hopefully some people will come back around to us... While November 30th is far too soon... it is also a good amount of time for people to walk away and then really MISS CoH. Hopefully that'll get some more to join our cause (of course, hopefully things might be well on the way and/or settled by then too, hehe).

Honestly, I was greatly wary of ever seeing the Loregasm post, but, Matt Miller including that disclaimer really erased those fears. Thee two announcements have come and not dented my outlook at all.

:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »
I'm with you Electric-Knight.

I'm going to continue playing City of Heroes (and leaving my "info character" logged in while I sleep) until I cannot anymore. I'm going to continue promoting our forum and Call to Action events over various social media networks. I'm going to hammer out details on getting some on-air time at a local radio station. I'm going to continue being a hero.

I think it's safe to say that one way or another, we'll have a City to protect. It will be a ways down the road, but it's there and waiting for us heroes to start cleaning up the streets. If we want it, we can have it.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

MishaFox

• Minion
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
Let me as a newbie to this forum make a few comments.

I've played CoH for over 5 years and enjoyed every moment. The people I've met and made friends with are the reason I still play.

The lack of any answer or comment directly from NCSoft is both unnerving and comforting. Comforting in that it shows things haven't been decided. That means we have good chance to save the game. The lack of comment unnerves me in that it shows that the shutdown was so poorly planned and conceived. It shows some bad management at high levels.

I'm done preaching. THANKS everyone who made, upgraded and expanded the game.

baronmwd

• Underling
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
I created a toon last week and named him Save-CoH.  I have had several private messages saying nice name & keep up the fight. I think that it is important to remind people that we may not be winning or loosing the fight but we are still fighting !!!

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
I created a toon last week and named him Save-CoH.  I have had several private messages saying nice name & keep up the fight. I think that it is important to remind people that we may not be winning or loosing the fight but we are still fighting !!!

I'd like to see people create something like this on every server not only to have that physical presence, but to be there to inform those players who are just learning of the closure or are desiring more information.

On Virtue I have "Save CoH Information" logged in front of City Hall overnight.  I always come back to /tells thanking me as well, and in-game emails requesting information. It's a great way to boost our numbers! Here he is again:

Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2012, 01:23:41 AM »
Lovely to learn NC-Soft realizes their dismissive, selfish action has created a PR nightmare. I predict they've incinerated their bridges outside of South Korea. If word of this fiasco reaches their own shores, they may well "faceplant." What a heartbreaker. Note to self: if I'm ever in charge of a company, communicate with my customers and treat them like human beings.

Still ticked Jack Emmert sold the City overseas in the first place. Superheroes are American, dag-nabbit!

If When CoH survives this mess, I propose that those who played pivotal roles in this effort, like TonyV and Victoria there... that a couple of those generic statues in the city should be replaced with statues of their mains.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2012, 01:24:32 AM »
Honestly, I was greatly wary of ever seeing the Loregasm post, but, Matt Miller including that disclaimer really erased those fears. Thee two announcements have come and not dented my outlook at all.

Not to mention, the lore answers were so vague that it gives them a lot of room to expand on things.  It's the details that count for a story. (and those details are usually hammered out about the time something is being made)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:10 AM »
I'd like to see people create something like this on every server not only to have that physical presence, but to be there to inform those players who are just learning of the closure or are desiring more information.

On Virtue I have "Save CoH Information" logged in front of City Hall overnight.  I always come back to /tells thanking me as well, and in-game emails requesting information. It's a great way to boost our numbers! Here he is again:

Getting one on Protector, my first server, now...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »
This is what we know for sure.

As of Friday, Brian Clayton told me he had hoped to have news this week but that negotiations were still going strong.  As of a few minutes ago, there was no further word.  I assume this means nothing has changed.

NCSoft has blinked.  They are giving us our money back.

NCSoft has blinked.  They have given us a dedicated email address to send our comments and concerns to.

NCSoft has (through Andy) announced that they are not interested in continuing to support the game and are committed to the Nov 30 shutdown date on the NCSoft side.

This is what we know, anything else is pure conjecture.

Point one: good.  In business, no news is generally encouraging.

Point two: VERY good

Point three:  VERY good, they are getting a bit shook up by our united front

Point four:  Nov 30 shutdown.  Well this sucks a little, since I was hoping they would agree to something longer for a smoother transition, should we get a buyer, but it's still doable with a little downtime, depending on whether or not anyone still has the code for the OLD launcher around Paragon, and whether or not the deal will include the original servers.

Thank you. For your support, for your willingness to actively help, for your wonderful wordsmithing, and for your unflagging enthusiasm. Please know that this Michigander (and Pinniclite) truly appreciates what you're doing.

Now I'm off to raid my wife's collection of your books and start becoming better acquainted with the aforementioned wonderful wordsmithing. :)
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »
Thank you. For your support, for your willingness to actively help, for your wonderful wordsmithing, and for your unflagging enthusiasm. Please know that this Michigander (and Pinniclite) truly appreciates what you're doing.

Now I'm off to raid my wife's collection of your books and start becoming better acquainted with the aforementioned wonderful wordsmithing. :)
Why is it your wife has the collection?

She's damned good! Have an entire shelf dedicated to her.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2012, 02:40:46 AM »

Pish-tosh.  60's hippy + 62 years old = herd dog with experience.  That's all.  It's kinda in the blood.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2012, 04:55:29 AM »
Pish-tosh.  60's hippy + 62 years old = herd dog with experience.  That's all.  It's kinda in the blood.

Hmmph. A tad more than that, I'd say. You're a hero, and you're inspiring a lot of other people to heroism. Not to mention spinning some mighty fine yarns that have given a lot of us many enjoyable hours. Not a bad thing to be able to point to when somebody says, "So, what have you been up to lately?" But, like all of us, you're not doin' it for the applause. (wink)

For now, though, back to the grim necessity of battle. And, of course, the occasional spot of fun to  liven things up...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:05:55 AM by The_Hunter_JLJ »

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:20 AM »
if the game does get sold i would expect some downtime to work in a new launcher as well as a new system for the paragon market and paragon points stuff

currently paragon points are handled through ncsoft master account, and the launcher to start the game is ncsoft

i mean they could always go back to the older launcher that takes forever to patch since they should still have the code for it, as for setting up a new billing system and stuff for our accounts

i do see the news today as good sign though that our actions are taking notice with ncsoft, and if we do save the game there will prolly be a little bit of downtime in order to remove ncsoft related stuff from the game but otherwise i think we are still heading in the right direction

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »

*snerk*  Well, we can use all the herding we can get.  We're worse than a buncha cats at times.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »
*snerk*  Well, we can use all the herding we can get.  We're worse than a buncha cats at times.

Good thing my favorite toon is a fire tank, then.

"OK everyone!  TO THE DUMPSTERS!"

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
Good thing my favorite toon is a fire tank, then.

"OK everyone!  TO THE DUMPSTERS!"

Er... somehow, I don't think herding us all together so NCsoft can unleash the AOEs on us is quite the image you really want. (wink)

padathir

• Minion
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
It would be really nice if we could get this (or some) thread stickied with the first post in the thread updated periodically on the latest news. It's difficult to scour the forum to get all the different bits of info (including, for example, the info Victoria Victrix has shared about Things Still Happening behind closed doors).