Author Topic: City of Heroes Tabletop  (Read 12992 times)

NeverDark

• Underling
City of Heroes Tabletop
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:02:20 AM »
As someone on the official boards recommend we place this here as well, I'm copying it from there. If there is a problem, I apologize.

We here at Great Forge Studios have been working on creating the City of Heroes tabletop role-playing game for the past few years, and we're in the final stretches now. I've recorded a video discussing where we are right now and how far we have to go before November.

This is our introduction video.

Going forward, we're going to keep making videos like this one, as well as posting on our development blog.

My three colleagues and I will be continuing to post on that blog and in this thread to keep you guys posted. We welcome any feedback you can give.

IanTheM1

• Underling
Re: City of Heroes Tabletop
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »
My first devblog, "What, Why, and How", is up. I hope I didn't ramble on too much. One of our motivations for these devblogs is that we fully understand the frustration when developers seemingly do things "for no reason". We intend to explain ourselves and our development process to the fullest extent possible. You might not agree with our reasoning, but it certainly won't be a mystery. :)

IanTheM1

• Underling
Great Forge RPG System BETA RELEASE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:08:11 AM »
Good news, everyone! After a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, we are proud to release Beta 0.75.1 of the Great Forge RPG System!

Raw Google Docs Link (WARNING: Probably exceedingly laggy!)

Mediafire-hosted PDF (Recommended!)

Keep in mind that this is a rough beta release. Known issues include:

-Energy Melee, certain other launch-era powersets (Illusion), and most post-release powersets (pretty much Dual Blades and beyond) are missing.
-Enemies do not possess demeanors yet.
-There's a notable lack of pre-made missions, including Crimes in Progress.
-Everything is basically crazy and untested.

Despite the slightly lacking state of the game as it is, we felt it best to release this baby into the wild now, rather than later, for what we feel are obvious reasons.

Our development blog has also updated its URL, it is now found at:

http://greatforgett.blogspot.com/

Feedback can also be sent directly to feedbackgreatforgerpg@gmail.com

We'll be updating this very thread moving forward, so if message boards are your thing, feel free to follow us over here!

Please come and try out our system, give us your thoughts and impressions, and have fun out there! And stay tuned as we continue to update the game!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:14:37 PM by IanTheM1 »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
I'll check this out when I get a chance (this weekend, with any luck).  I used to frequently acquire new RPGs just for the sake of checking out mechanics (and mining for races/setting stuff/etc.).  And, of course, I've played and run a wide variety of games (though not recently, unfortunately).  I'll post any thoughts here once I get around to it.

On a side note, does this have any link to the official tabletop RPG that was in the works oh-so-long-ago?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Coffin

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
Grabbed the PDF.
Thanks for putting it together and getting a beta release out now.

It seems I suddenly have more free time available. :(

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:46 AM »
The official one never got past the quick play iirc: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/2979/City-of-Heroes-RPG-Quickplay-Pack?it=1&filters=0_0_10097_0_0

I'll enjoy looking at the greatforge one.

IanTheM1

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately the Eden Studios game never really got finished. I think the core game was actually close to being complete, but when the MMO (and the rights) changed hands, Eden never really got any phonecalls back about it. Probably didn't help that as far as I understand it, the deal was fostered through Jack and his friendship with George Vasilakos, one of the founders of Eden (and the source of the name Dr. Vahzilok).

As is evident, the Quick Play Guide is badly incomplete and feels more like it was meant to be used as a live demo more than a true quick play or guide.

In my personal opinion, the Eden game had a lot of potential, but at the same time it came off like a relatively generic game occasionally injected with City of Heroes-related elements. Of everything in the Quick Play, I think the Inspiration system was the most elegant part and the rest was a bit 'meh'. Though for all I know, the finished product would've been far more fleshed out.

Edit: Also oh hey, check it out, blog post

Edit2: Through unfathomable stupidity, we left out archetype hit points. Hotfixed 0.75.1 going out now, links being updated.

0.75.1 PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?jj034imq1ihiz5f
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:14:11 PM by IanTheM1 »

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »
Guys the super hero things been done to death in rpgs.  Take the lore from City and use Palladium books universal game system. The Rifts series seems to be the most complete for magic,mega damage,tech and multi dimensional stuffs. Been using this game system for years. Oh and reasonably priced as well.

IanTheM1

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
But then we don't get to have the fun of making our own game.

Also you're a bit late to tell us to give up now.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
Guys the super hero things been done to death in rpgs.  Take the lore from City and use Palladium books universal game system.

I don't think whether or not it's been done to death should matter; all that SHOULD matter is whether or not it's done well.

Besides, wasn't City of Heroes originally an attempt to make a Champions/HERO System MMO? And look where that led.

So I say: I'm looking forward to hearing more about this, Great Forge!

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 01:26:02 AM »
I'm not saying give up. I'm saying that there is a game system(with most of the bugaboos taken care of) that was designed as a universal type where you almost literally have a universe of powers,magic and tech already stated out and its really easy to create and stat custom stuff as well.  Rather than spending time with game mechanics,you could almost literally just drop the game lore over the top of it and BOOM ready to go.  All you would really need is the Rifts Book 1 and it covers all the basic stuff. And these guys literally have well over 200 game books and source books that cover just about anything you might need. They even put out a quarterly book of players ideas, scenarios,new character types and playing ideas. Betcha Kev wouldn't mind seeing some of the stuff we'd come up with.  Sorry,makes me sound like I'm shilling for Palladium,I'm not<but when I come across a superior product,I'm not shy about saying something about it. Kinda like City;)

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 01:41:24 AM »
Guys the super hero things been done to death in rpgs.  Take the lore from City and use Palladium books universal game system. The Rifts series seems to be the most complete for magic,mega damage,tech and multi dimensional stuffs. Been using this game system for years. Oh and reasonably priced as well.

I think that's the first time I've ever see someone suggest rifts for the rules and not the lore. Most say to keep the lore and use another system with it. Even Siembieda, the game designer infamously makes lots of house rules and doesn't uses rifts as written.

I used to play Rifts a lot, I still do like it and regularly mine the books for ideas and awesome art, but I wouldn't suggest it as a system to anyone starting out in RPG's or anyone who doesn't GM on the fly.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 02:19:23 AM »
1:sorry I misread the first couple of posts  not trying to step on yer stuffs Ian I thought the Great Forge stuff was the Eden game. I read this as someone was just starting to do this and was trying help them by letting them get right to the lore.
2: Is there any another way but on the fly?
3: I use the core rules for to hit and stuff,but I use the rules more as a yardstickish. If the cannon does 2d4 M.D. and you have 3 M.D. I'm prolly gonna toast ya. That kinda stuff. 
4: I love rifts and we've changed a buncha rules as well to more fit our heroic gamestyle

rsreston

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »
It says your blog doesn't exist :(

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:21:53 AM »
As someone on the official boards recommend we place this here as well, I'm copying it from there. If there is a problem, I apologize.

We here at Great Forge Studios have been working on creating the City of Heroes tabletop role-playing game for the past few years, and we're in the final stretches now. I've recorded a video discussing where we are right now and how far we have to go before November.

This is our introduction video.

Going forward, we're going to keep making videos like this one, as well as posting on our development blog.

My three colleagues and I will be continuing to post on that blog and in this thread to keep you guys posted. We welcome any feedback you can give.

I want to wish you guys every success in this!  Possibly I should refrain from mentioning that I got into MMORPGs/CoH specifically because there were no tabletop RP games going since all my gamer friends were now into MMO's.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

IanTheM1

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
It says your blog doesn't exist :(

The link in NeverDark's post is outdated, the updated link is:

http://greatforgett.blogspot.com

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »
Please forgive me for he massive necro post, but, is this still a thing?
Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames

IanTheM1

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
Please forgive me yet another massive necro post! :P

By dumb luck I happened back across this thread today and I figured I should shoot an update over here, considering I teased a few things over in the CoH thread on SomethingAwful over the last few months. And otherwise forgot this thread exist. Sorry about that.  :-[

Part of the reason for the communications blackout is that we went through a lot of big changes within the last year. The short version is that we're no longer GreatForge Studios, we've lost half the development team, and most importantly, we really weren't pleased with the final Beta we released. That's all the bad news.

The good news is that me and NeverDark/LawrenceFriday put our heads together and started formulating a brand new system. We're taking the few concepts that stood out from the Beta and mixing it into a game that should ultimately be closer to the spirit of City of Heroes, while simultaneously moving towards a much more legally distinct product.

The downside is that all development on the version of the game we previously showed off has ceased utterly. The upside is that we're now another step closer to realizing our vision. Simply speaking, we had to learn what worked and what didn't. We had the opportunity to refocus our efforts, so we took it. Though this new iteration of the system is still in an incredibly rough state and not even remotely playable. Development has also slowed down a bit for various reasons.

What I teased in the SA thread I'll tease here: A combat system that integrates superpowers, skills, and diplomacy into the same gamespace. Instead of having entirely separate combat and non-combat systems, this new system takes the potential for crazy character concepts farther by putting everything into the same framework. You'll be able to defeat foes not just by punching them with super-powered fists, but also by overcoming them with SCIENCE! as well as doing things like laying down sick burns and watching them burst into flames.

This system is also much, much easier to transform into a villain-flavored version compared to its predecessor. The one caveat is that in order to create a system that would stand fully on its own and free us from a lot of baggage, we had to give up on the goal of allowing anyone to convert their City of Heroes character straight into our game. (Not that I'd be worried if your character happened to use a lot of common types of superpowers. ;) ) It's also a bit more restricted in regards to customization - the ultimate goal is to deliver a more streamlined tabletop game where five fun and unique superheroes can come together and best the forces of evil, rather than a pen and paper MMO that buckles under the weight of its own rigid ruleset. :)

Once we get closer to a presentable system (and get a new name), we'll dust off the old devblog and fully re-energize our communication channels.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:44:48 PM by IanTheM1 »