Author Topic: Light A Fire: Contact Texan, Washington State, and Californian Lawmakers  (Read 11980 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
This one is specific.

NCSoft took a company producing a product that was profitable in the US, and run in the US, and closed it.

NCSoft took profitable US jobs away.

NCSoft is Korean run, and (per the posts on Glassdoor.com) has decided to kill profitable US jobs because they were not profitable enough to Korea and were not in Korean interests.

Right now the US is engaged in negotiations on a Pan-Pacific Free Trade agreement, which is only going to make this sort of scenario MORE likely, rather than less.

These lawmakers need to hear about this.  So does your local newspaper, and the newspapers in Seattle, Austin and the San Francisco area.

The more external, non-gamer pressure we can put on NCSoft to negotiate with Paragon Studios, the better.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mold

• Underling
Re: Light A Fire: Contact Texan, Washington State, and Californian Lawmakers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/default.aspx?District=36 A link to the state legislators for the districts around Seattle.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
Commerce department might be interested, too. Also possible you could get either or both of the presidential campaigns interested, too. Lots of possibilities in this idea, Ms Lackey. Good thinking, I get the impression this ain't hardly yer first rodeo. (grin)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
Yes, this is exactly what I have been talking about in all my comments and letters about this.
America should love a "small" successful business such as this to continue.
The product/service is profitable, recognized within the industry as high-quality and innovative and has an extremely loyal, satisfied and steady customer-base.
The only reason it is being blinked out of existence is because a multi-billion dollar Korean company didn't want it any more.
If it can be sold, it absolutely should be sold.
And if anyone tries saying that this game was absolutely not profitable, and they wave "80 employees" as part of their figure, just remember that this game can run on much smaller development staff and it was already, since a good amount of those employees were not working on CoH any more and were working on the other secret project instead.

I've been saying it many times, this is an American business story of significance. Especially since we have an impassioned, loyal customer-fan-base. That makes us mighty.

Keep rocking on!
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:19:07 PM »
My search fu is sub-par at best. Does anyone know how many people ArenaNet employs or how to find out?  I live about an hour south of Seattle and ArenaNet is based out of a suburb of Seattle called Bellevue.  I have a couple of ideas about possible angles to pitch to some of the local news stations and such, but would need to know what kind of impact this could have on the local jobs.  Thanks to anyone who can help me with this question.

Angela
aka @Ventus vis Vires Triumph server

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:48:05 PM »
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/default.aspx?District=36 A link to the state legislators for the districts around Seattle.

I live in WA 1 and have even donated to the current rep (although now he's running for Gov).  I'd be happy to write a letter, but what do I ask him to do?  He's not going to call NCSoft and tell them to sell an IP, so no point in asking (didn't give him THAT much).

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »
I live in WA 1 and have even donated to the current rep (although now he's running for Gov).  I'd be happy to write a letter, but what do I ask him to do?  He's not going to call NCSoft and tell them to sell an IP, so no point in asking (didn't give him THAT much).

If NCsoft gets mentioned even once as an example of how The Other Guy's policies will Definitively Drive Away Small Business, it won't be pleasant for them. It's kind of a hardball move, though--I can't think of a way me contacting my Congresscritter could ever play positively for NCsoft.

I'm just glad Our Candidate is here to oppose The Other Guy, though!
@Vulpy
Protector Server

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:56:22 PM »
Maybe point out that NCsoft just let 80 people go with no warning in CA.  They may not be in your state, but there's nothing stopping them from trying the same thing in WA if they can get away with it in CA.

You might also point out that it is your understanding that there are currently negotiations taking place that might save the jobs of those 80 people and set a new precedent for the way business is conducted by NCsoft if they go well.  That would make people employed by NCsoft in WA feel more secure in their jobs.

Rather than ask him to do something specific, ask if there is anything that he could do to help.  Let him determine what, if anything, that would be.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:18 AM »
I'm in the middle of a major CFS crash at the moment, so even posting this much is huge effort, but if someone can make it easier for someone like me to know what and where to send stuff for Texas, I'd be happy to toss emails for the Texas side.  I'm in Houston.

I just don't have the health to do the search-fu and figuring out exactly what to say for it just now.  What I'm putting here is about my limit of functionality at the moment.  >:(

(unrelated note, CFS sux :p )

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:41:19 AM »
I live in WA1 as well, Inslee is very reachable.

I would point out the concern over a company shutting down an entire division without warning, without giving an option for the purchase of the assets to keep the company going, and that the company operates an office in Washington which may be the next target for rapid shutdown.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:06 AM »
I'm in the middle of a major CFS crash at the moment, so even posting this much is huge effort, but if someone can make it easier for someone like me to know what and where to send stuff for Texas, I'd be happy to toss emails for the Texas side.  I'm in Houston.

Your Congresspeople are listed on Wikipedia, among other places. Your best bet is to start at http://www.house.gov and http://www.senate.gov once you get back to a proper connection, though: you can look up e-mail addresses there. (Note that, most of the time, these addresses will be checked by staffers, of course.)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:40 AM »
We might need to get one of our "legal eagles" on this, see what they think. (sends up the Olantern signal) OLANTERN! WE NEED YOU! 8)

castorcorvus,out

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:30:02 AM »
From my experience trying to interact with my representatives, all I got for my trouble was my name on a mailing list and, in the case of one of the senators, a reply that I'm sure was actually from a staffer saying it wasn't really their area of influence. This was a ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, and I was suggesting a ship name. In the interest of full disclosure, the senator in question and I had both served in the navy.  I don't want to deter anyone from contacting their legally elected representatives, but this sort of thing is only really going to  get any traction from a constituent.  Lloyd Doggett isn't going to care what my opinion is if I can't vote for him, although I am voting the same side of the aisle as him in my district. :)

If you are in one of the effected districts, absolutely: GET ON IT! Get your friends involved. I will be with you in spirit, but, as far as this thread is concerned, I know my voice will be ignored, perhaps very politely.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:29 AM »
We might need to get one of our "legal eagles" on this, see what they think. (sends up the Olantern signal) OLANTERN! WE NEED YOU! 8)

castorcorvus,out

Meanwhile, at the OLANTERN CAVE!

Olantern is shuffling out of the kitchen in his evening robe, cup of tasty cocoa in hand, when the signal is lit! The City needs him!

"...I'm never gonna get to drink this dang cocoa, am I?"
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
I'd include the 'Federal' Level.  For all that I dont like them, California Senators Barbra Boxer and Diane Fienstien should be contacted, I'd also suggest hyping the "these are the jobs of your constituents they are hurting" angle to them

No Remorse

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
OK, I said what I thought was my final word in another thread, but I'm going to break that statement.

ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING?!?!? A company decides they want to refocus THEIR own efforts and sunset a video game that was maybe profitable (no one here is taking overhead and taxes into account and anyone that claims to know for sure is lying), and people think THIS is a reason to go after government for intervention? With all the issues going on right now, THIS is a reason to try to contact the government, A VIDEO GAME??? Forget the wars being fought, the economy, the labor issues, the domestic violence, the corruption, as long as we get them to focus on what's important, COH.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. I'm a business owner in Texas. If I decided to close a part of my business down and refocus on something else, just how the hell is it the government's business to get involved (unless I'm doing something illegal)? You guys are making less sense on this than the occupy people were that didn't even know why they were protesting. I'm sorry but if you get the legislators / senators / congressmen here in Texas to pay attention to this then I want them all fired for ignoring the serious matters.

This is exactly what I was talking about too. If you want to make a difference in the world, do it. This ISN'T the world, it's an escape from the world, it's entertainment. It's not going to make us gamers look capable, it's going to make us look out of touch with reality if we ask everyone that should be paying attention to the real world to stop and pay attention to something that in the grand scheme of things is trivial. This is coming from a 8+ year vet of CoH, who has 4 kids that also play the game. Please don't go this route, as it's amatuerish at best and seriously makes us all look like asses. This is a business thing, not a political thing. Do you WANT to give the jackasses misleading the country more of a reason to not do their jobs?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:43:59 PM by No Remorse »

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 04:52:42 PM »
OK, I said what I thought was my final word in another thread, but I'm going to break that statement.

ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING?!?!? A company decides they want to refocus THEIR own efforts and sunset a video game that was maybe profitable (no one here is taking overhead and taxes into account and anyone that claims to know for sure is lying), and people think THIS is a reason to go after government for intervention?

Cases arn't Parallel No Remorse.  In this case its about and Overseas company buying, and then ultimatly taking away AMERICAN JOBS.  DURING A RESSESION.    And doing so in a way that makes us question their business practices.

Tell me how this ISN'T something the Governement shouldn't bestir themselves over  They are shutting down american workers in favor of 'locals'.  While I agree with the theory that government handling of most things is BAD, this is exactly the sort of thing that it SHOULD be doing. 

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
Tell me how this ISN'T something the Governement shouldn't bestir themselves over...

This is the exact point of contention, I think, and it's a very fundamental and divisive question: what is the role of government in the economy? To the degree that it intersects with the OP, it's worth discussing here. But if we choose to discuss it, we need to be very careful to remain respectful of one another at all times. If it's going to turn into a straight up, one-on-one debate, it's best consigned to private messages.

I'm not sure I personally agree that this is something to notify Congress about, but I won't stand in the way of those that feel differently. I trust the other members of this board to conduct themselves in a way that will reflect well on our efforts at all times.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
hmm.  Okay, lets see if 'changing names games' help here:

A Saudi Oil conglomerate buys... oh, the US subsidiary of Brittish Patroleum

They then decide that BP isnt profitable enough in comparison to their core business.

So they fire everyone, cap the wells, and shut down every piece of equipment BP owns in favor of concentraiting on producing and selling their own oil.  and then announce plans to market more of that oil to the US

Still dont think its applicable?  granted I changed the overall scale involved, but that was to help get my point across.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
*mutters*something something BP Gulf of Mexico something something Brazil*muttermutter*