Author Topic: Can we start a board mirroring project?  (Read 7165 times)

Dr Toerag

• Underling
Re: Can we start a board mirroring project?
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://boards.cityofheroes.com

I think that this site has already archived the forums a few times over the years (going back to 2004, with the latest being quite recent).

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
The problem with the Wayback machine is that you won't know if they captured content for a very long time. Their most recent capture of the official forums is July 2011, which is over a year ago. Plus a lot of their copies are are only partial -- I keep getting on their "liveweb" interface when browsing their archive. So they're good for what they already have, but I don't want to depend on them for being complete and up-to-date.

Dr Toerag

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
I KNEW it was too good to be true :(.

voodoogirl

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
Maybe we can ask Zwill to unsecret a lot of the old CB boards?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
I was part of Issue 18 closed beta, as well as one of the ones prior, but I can't remember if it was immediately prior or something like Issue 16 or even 15.  If anyone has a link to the Issue 18 closed beta to try, I'd be happy to get that one.  Maybe we farm out the closed beta forums? Put out a Call?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »
Just an update -- my attempt to mirror the I24 VIP Beta forums failed. I guess the cookies didn't work right. Of course, the official forums have a tendency to act funny with their cookies anyway, so it's not a big surprise to me. I'll try making another attempt at some point in the next few days, hopefully I'm just doing it wrong and can figure it out.

So at this point, I still don't have a way to archive anything behind a login.

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Could you link us to what you have?
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:12 PM »
The problem with the Wayback machine is that you won't know if they captured content for a very long time. Their most recent capture of the official forums is July 2011, which is over a year ago. Plus a lot of their copies are are only partial -- I keep getting on their "liveweb" interface when browsing their archive. So they're good for what they already have, but I don't want to depend on them for being complete and up-to-date.

Not to mention Wayback machine won't always mirror actual threads, just the main page. So you can get a month by month snapshot of what the last threads were updated that day or how many replies a topic got, but that's it.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 10:31:30 PM »
IIRC they made a complete backup of the forums around November, but it's not part of Wayback Machine.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 06:20:08 AM »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Awesome. Thanks.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
ouch. 219 GB. And I thought I could just go there and look for a previous post. I was wrong.

Somebody planning to host it somewhere ?
Yeeessss....

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
219 gigs? What. That doesn't compute...
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
219 gigs? What. That doesn't compute...
That's tar'ed worth. The actual data could be 1 TB.
Yeeessss....

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »
Damn. You are right.
*strangling noises*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:46 AM »
Forumites are chatty.  Heavy noise-to-signal ratio too.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Quinch

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 02:20:04 AM »
I'm guessing it's the pictures. My own copy is a little under 25 gigs, uncompressed.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
I'm guessing it's the pictures. My own copy is a little under 25 gigs, uncompressed.
The guys from webarchive did say that their in-house scripts were nothing like what you found out there, so I don't know what you've used, but it may be possible that you have also backed up far less information than them. I don't think there is 250 gb of image hosted on anything under cityofheroes.com/, because that's what was needed to be backed up. And that must only be profiles images and forum style-related images.

-EDIT: wait, I was wrong. The extension is TAR, it's uncompressed (no more than the files inside are) so it's 219GB worth of data, period.
Yeeessss....

Quinch

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
Just the threads, basically - the raw HTML.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
Just the threads, basically - the raw HTML.

But.... what about the flavor? the culture? the cat pictures?!

:D
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive