Author Topic: NCSOFT: What the F is wrong with you?  (Read 15045 times)

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
Re: NCSOFT: What the F is wrong with you?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 01:04:46 AM »
This in a nutshell. Still in the meantime I'm hedging my bets. I've had a lifetime subscription to STO since beta but let it sit for a while, but Diz just seems... wrong in star trek. Mostly because she can't indiscriminately kill heretics. And I don't know if champions will let me play the character I want to AT ALL, and I won't know until I have a paid account.

Luna can't exist at all in Star Trek because... well, she's a superhero, not a Starfleet officer. My original alter ego of 17 years took to the Captain's chair in STO. And in Champions, I can't really make her at all. I can make someone like her if I subscribe to get the free form power selection... but I can't even come close to her costume. All of the textures or clothing that resemble what she wears are just different enough to not work. And the game is just... ugh, I don't know. It's not similar enough to CoX. The character faces are god awful, the combat is too twitchy and button mashy, the mission structure is that branching, "Have to share quests" garbage from other MMO's.

If none of these are a viable choice come November 30, I'll be harking back to my pre-City days with my RL friends on Phantasy Star Online 2 in January when the Western launch hits.  The majority of us were on the original PSO on Dreamcast on the US launch day in January 2001 and played until the servers shutdown. I still have the game receipt from Electronics Boutique, for Pete's sake! It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience; the pioneering online community of the first ever online RPG for a console.

The later ports and Phantasy Star Universe never captured that same magic and we went separate ways to other games. I discovered CoH in 2005 and instantly felt I found a new home.

Sorry, nothingness, you can't have this one.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:20 AM »
It is becoming gradually more unnerving each week that the talks continue and the NDA remains in place. My morale is in no way, shape, or form waning from the silence but it's exhausting mentally and emotionally. I know the score as well as anyone else here being active in the efforts to save the game and I may say things from time to time that aren't helping our case but, hey, that's frustration for ya.

As much as I've had a hard time in the past liking Champions Online, I have it installed as a free player as well as Star Trek Online. I leveled to the cap in STO as a free player at the beginning of this year so I have at least that much time invested in it and I've only messed around with CO pre-level 10 because I can't get used to the combat or mission structuring.

But I sit here at least once a day as we continue to hear nothing from NCsoft or the remaining Paragon staff and I look at those two games and try to justify either one of them as a viable long-term alternative in the worst case scenario for CoH. But I don't want to, that's the thing. I want CITY OF HEROES!! I want Issue 24 and the rest of the content that was coming out.

Agreement.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 01:58:26 AM »
Ach, lad, Ah'll only be wearin' a kilt if'n Ah get th'claymore goes wit' it! /ReallyBadScottishAccent
well crap, and here all I have is a pair of unsharpened Katanas. :-/
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 02:03:38 AM »
well crap, and here all I have is a pair of unsharpened Katanas. :-/

Name what you want, I probably have it on the living room wall.

I have a LOT of living room wall.

If it's not on the wall, it's probably in the gun safe.

I have a BIG gun safe.

What?  Just because I write about foofy white horses that talk in peoples' heads, you forget I wrote about the Shin'a'in...and all those mercenaries...and a Bolo...
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:56 AM »

I have a BIG gun safe.

What?  Just because I write about foofy white horses that talk in peoples' heads, you forget I wrote about the Shin'a'in...and all those mercenaries...and a Bolo...

...VV, my dear, I adore you more by the post. ;)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26:42 AM »
*Gets the claymore down off the wall and hands it to DG*

Hmmmn.. katana, lightsaber, double-bitted axe, rifle, shotgun, or chainsaw... decisions, decisions. (grin)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 02:32:18 AM »

I have a BIG gun safe.

I thought my admiration for you was unbounded. You've just (yet again) proved I was wrong. Nothing sexier than a well-armed woman. (laugh) I believe it best if we refrain from scaring the children, probably, and not talk shop. Not that THIS lot is liable to be all that scared... <wink>

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 02:35:24 AM »

I have a BIG gun safe.

Actually, I'm not surprised.  I sort of figured that you would do research on the weapons your characters use.   That's probably part of the fun, isn't it?

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
...and a Bolo...

Now if we had one of THOSE beauties to help...

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 02:50:57 AM »
Now if we had one of THOSE beauties to help...

Nothing says "I am a bit miffed with you" like a visit from a member of the Dinochrome Brigade.  ;D

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:50 AM »

I have a BIG gun safe.

Somehow, I expected you to be the one to make unimaginably vast killing machines seem loveable. ^_^
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:31 AM »
Hmmmn.. katana, lightsaber, double-bitted axe, rifle, shotgun, or chainsaw... decisions, decisions. (grin)

I think I might go hit up the Yautja black market for some particularly special weaponry.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 04:23:17 AM »

I have a BIG gun safe.

A Bolo...

*MASSIVE MENTAL COLLISION ---

--- As a quote from the movie "The Hunt For Red October" lodged in my brain from the other day's recent viewing (Hey - had to take a break with a genre about as far removed from superheroes as possible, alright?)...

Capt. Vasili Borodin: "I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?"

A recreational vehicle...

Thinks of the movie STRIPES...

"C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin."

*Mental Image of Mercedes Lackey's backyard... with a Bolo parked back there...*

Thinks to self: Well of COURSE she has it registered as an RV, how else could she keep it? It's obviously one of those Mark XXI/I "stealth" Bolos... Merely DISGUISED as an RV, until it needs to pop its weapon mounts out for combat...

Imagines the smart A.I. of that Bolo finding the local wireless connection, downloading City of Heroes, getting hooked over the years... (And yes... playing a Tanker... *rimshot*) ... getting as despondent as we all are over the closure...

*Mental Image - The Shores of South Korea, as a Winnebago sized BOLO rolls out of the surf like Godzilla rising from the sea... *

NCSOFT Security Guard: "Sir? We have a problem. A rather large one actually. Seems there's an extraordinarily heavily armed... er... Vehicle down at the entrance asking politely if we'd be willing to sell the IP to City of Heroes?"

WHAT? Who needs alcohol? This is the way my brain NORMALLY works. (Especially when I'm just waking up after an afternoon nap and all the mental connections are going wibbly wobbly...)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 04:25:11 AM »
A Bolo...

*MASSIVE MENTAL COLLISION ---

--- As a quote from the movie "The Hunt For Red October" lodged in my brain from the other day's recent viewing (Hey - had to take a break with a genre about as far removed from superheroes as possible, alright?)...

Capt. Vasili Borodin: "I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?"

Thinks of the movie STRIPES...

"C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin."

*Mental Image of Mercedes Lackey's backyard... with a Bolo parked back there...*

Thinks to self: Well of COURSE she has it registered as an RV, how else could she keep it? It's obviously one of those Mark XXI/I "stealth" Bolos... Merely DISGUISED as an RV, until it needs to pop its weapon mounts out for combat...

Imagines the smart A.I. of that Bolo finding the local wireless connection, downloading City of Heroes, getting hooked over the years... (And yes... playing a Tanker... *rimshot*) ... getting as despondent as we all are over the closure...

*Mental Image - The Shores of South Korea, as a Winnebago sized BOLO rolls out of the surf like Godzilla rising from the sea... *

NCSOFT Security Guard: "Sir? We have a problem. A rather large one actually. Seems there's an extraordinarily heavily armed... er... Vehicle down at the entrance asking politely if we'd be willing to sell the IP to City of Heroes?"

WHAT? Who needs alcohol? This is the way my brain NORMALLY works. (Especially when I'm just waking up after an afternoon nap and all the mental connections are going wibbly wobbly...)

I won't start worrying until they go all timey-wimey.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 04:28:44 AM »
OMG Atlantea LOLOLOLOL, that made me smile.

And sounds about like my preferred way of handling things. Except in my case, my weapon of total domination would be more... H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" inspired.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
OMG Atlantea LOLOLOLOL, that made me smile.

And sounds about like my preferred way of handling things. Except in my case, my weapon of total domination would be more... H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" inspired.

See, I'd totally go the Batman route and invoke fear and terror into them individually. But that's just me. :P

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 04:31:44 AM »
All of the above, thank you!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:45 AM »
All of the above, thank you!

"Jayne, how many guns you planning on taking? You only got the two hands!"

"I just get excitable as to choice, like to leave my options open."

"Look, I don't plan on there being any shooting."

"Well, what you plan, and what actually happens, ain't exactly ever been similar!"

"...no grenades."

"Awwww..."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 04:35:09 AM »
Sings: "Mercedes!! The lady they call... Mercedes!!"

:D

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 04:35:39 AM »
"Jayne, how many guns you planning on taking? You only got the two hands!"

"I just get excitable as to choice, like to leave my options open."

"Look, I don't plan on there being any shooting."

"Well, what you plan, and what actually happens, ain't exactly ever been similar!"

"...no grenades."

"Awwww..."
The best part is I had Serenity playing.....