Author Topic: Humble Bundle  (Read 5341 times)

uninventive

Humble Bundle
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Disregard this message.

The initial thought was to have our names in the leaderboard under #SaveCOH, but I misunderstood how it worked.  Read on if you are curious about why.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:42:27 PM by uninventive »

Nafaustu

• Boss
Re: Unnecessary Thread Prefix: Humble Bundle
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:42:57 PM »
That's inventive.   Good thought.   I'll check into this when I get home.

Scrier

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
Just added $25, which admittedly is what I was planning to pay for it anyway.

uninventive

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
I paid $7.00, and upped my donation by $15 (thankfully today is Payday. :D)  So, I lied: I put in $22 under #SaveCOH.

Just check after purchase and make sure "#SaveCOH" replaces the name Anonymous on the Key Page when you're done.  If you forget, you have until Tuesday to fix it: they freeze the leaderboard when the clock runs out so changing it after the fact does nothing.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
I'm a little confused on what exactly the money is being raised for and where it's going. Bear with me, it's early and I'm still drinking my tea...Can you clarify it a bit for those of us who aren't morning people? :)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

uninventive

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »
I'm a little confused on what exactly the money is being raised for and where it's going. Bear with me, it's early and I'm still drinking my tea...Can you clarify it a bit for those of us who aren't morning people? :)

Two outcomes:

1) you can donate to Child's Play and Electronic Frontier Foundation as well as Independent Game Companies (or all to Charity, or all to the Developers, up to you),

2) as thanks for donating to Indie Development/Charities (or both), you get 5-10 games (all 10 if your donation exceeds the average, which is around $6) that are DRM-Free (no copy protection) so you can save it anywhere, install them on your entire home network, whatever you like...  All the games also work on all three platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux), and you have access to the downloads indefinitely so if you get a MacBook a year from now, these titles will work on it no problem (or if you decide to flirt with Linux a little and see what happens).  One of the games this time is Torchlight if you don't own that already on your console (prior XBox Live Arcade hit).

I hate mornings, too.  Woke up an hour ago. :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:20:01 PM by uninventive »

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
Two outcomes:

1) you can donate to Child's Play and Electronic Frontier Foundation as well as Independent Game Companies (or all to Charity, or all to the Developers, up to you),

2) as thanks for donating to Indie Development/Charities (or both), you get 5-9 games that are DRM-Free (no copy protection: save it anywhere, install them on your entire home network, whatever) and work on all three platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).  One of them is Torchlight if you don't own that already.

I hate mornings, too.  Woke up an hour ago. :P

Just because I've been up for two hours doesn't mean I'm awake. ;) And that's a much more comprehensible explanation. I like it.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

uninventive

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
Just because I've been up for two hours doesn't mean I'm awake. ;) And that's a much more comprehensible explanation. I like it.

I'm clearly not awake, as you can see I've been editing my own post for the last 10 minutes.  Time to do actual work. :D

The third outcome, of course, is to get #SaveCOH onto the top 10 list to get some more attention to our cause from other gamers.

(There are caveats on some titles: Vessel for example has a Windows version, with Mac and Linux ports still in development.  As soon as they're completed, Humble Bundle sends follow up emails letting you know they're ready to download.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:33:27 PM by uninventive »

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
People please pay attention to the effort here.  We should promote this as a call to action that can get us SIGNIFICANT publicity from a different kind of source than the usual media.

Ultraviolets

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
I've purchased two humble bundles before, you really just can't beat the deals, and they contain great games. You really can't beat the deals you get with these packs. Torchlight alone costs $14.99 and Shatter itself is $9.99 on Steam. I remember for the first bundle I got, they added a few additional games to my Steam account for us to download after the bundle wasn't available to buy anymore. This won't only help Save CoH, it'll help charity and also lesser known studios get exposure to make even better games. If you already have some of the games, you can pass the Steam codes over to friends as well.

I'm glad I waited to buy this, this is a great idea for someone whose name is uninventive :P

EDIT: Just to clarify, you have to give the steam codes to your friends, you don't get giftable copies with this. A lot of the games are bundled together though so you'd have to give your friend a code with 4 or so games attached in some cases. That still shouldn't keep you from buying this though!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:01:35 PM by Ultraviolets »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action: Humble Bundle
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »
I made this a stickied call to action. It's a great idea. :)

Gothica

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
$20 added.

Dr Toerag

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:36:10 PM »
That is an EXCELLENT idea. I have been meaning to buy Torchlight for ages. $25 sent and #SaveCoH set.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
I made this a stickied call to action. It's a great idea. :)

I'm going to take the "Call to Action" prefix off of it; I want to be careful about using that only for things that relate directly to the Save City of Heroes efforts.

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
Re: Humble Bundle
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
You could get a whole lot of publicity, PARTICULARLY IN DEVELOPER CIRCLES THE PARAGON TEAM MENTIONED AT THE DINNER!  It is related.

The contest between bronies and notch for a Humble Bundle crown actually caught a decent amount of attention.

Aethon

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
I'm not sure if their leaderboard is case sensitive or not but it wouldn't hurt to ensure everyone uses the same case in the hashtag #SaveCOH

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
Not to be a party pooper, but... are we sure they merge together multiple individuals for the leaderboards?

This past screenie shows two Anonymous entries on the leaderboard:
https://twitter.com/kurrik/status/248105590096789504

I've also seen other screenies that list Anonymous. Since it's the default name, and since it can show up on the leaderboards... if they merged totals, I'd expect to see Anonymous listed with a very high total.

I'm beginning to suspect they don't merge totals, though. :(

I tried to figure out how the Humble Brony Bundle does it. They don't say clearly but I get the impression that they collect the money from people themselves, and then put it all through on a single account.

EDIT: I figured it'd be best to just ask, so I sent a message to their support email asking about it. If I hear back, I'll share.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:22:37 PM by Sekoia »

uninventive

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
Not to be a party pooper, but... are we sure they merge together multiple individuals for the leaderboards?

This past screenie shows two Anonymous entries on the leaderboard:
https://twitter.com/kurrik/status/248105590096789504

I've also seen other screenies that list Anonymous. Since it's the default name, and since it can show up on the leaderboards... if they merged totals, I'd expect to see Anonymous listed with a very high total.

I'm beginning to suspect they don't merge totals, though. :(

I tried to figure out how the Humble Brony Bundle does it. They don't say clearly but I get the impression that they collect the money from people themselves, and then put it all through on a single account.

EDIT: I figured it'd be best to just ask, so I sent a message to their support email asking about it. If I hear back, I'll share.

There's been campaigns on prior bundles with @Notch and others. 

Unsticky this idea until it's figured out?  Clearly we should be on there by now if this worked.

EDIT: I think you're right.

So, what is the Humble Brony Bundle? A way for bronies to come together and create a fund to buy one big copy of the Humble Indie Bundle. By pooling our resources we can support charities, indie gaming, and show how generous bronies are!

I'm sorry guys.  I didn't mean to mislead folks. :(  Since having a merged Paypal donation account means tax liability on someone/Titan Network, this isn't feasible.  Damn it.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »

uninventive

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
I screwed the pooch.  Lock this if you like.