Author Topic: Call to Action: Comic Cons  (Read 45987 times)

frostcoh

• Minion
Re: Call to Action: NY Comic Con
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
I am going to try to make it Fri 10/12 and tell people they have to Save City of Heroes.

...or else.

But, seriously, I'll try to bring some visual with me and at least talk to people about it and why it should be important to them, even if they aren't CoH players, but as MMO players.

I wish I could go, but I'm in the deep south so...

please take pics though!

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:59 AM »
Maybe those who can get to Comic Con can organize a flash mob/meet-up. We've been talking in a few threads about getting some IRL torch-bearers to spread around the web, this could be a good chance. Since it's a con, and an extremely populated one at that, using a real torch would be a huge no-no (and bad press!) but we can make homemade torches or buy costume/prop torches. Halloween being right around the corner is a major asset to us.

Although I can't make it to NYCC, I can absolutely help organize things from the virtual end if we want to try this.

sodisarmingdarling

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
I'm actually a reporter covering NYCC, and who's also covered #SaveCoH; I work for a Chicago-based site (www.plus10damage.com), so if I spot anyone with flyers/talking about CoH/etc I'll do my best to flag you down to get pictures/statements.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
I'm actually a reporter covering NYCC, and who's also covered #SaveCoH; I work for a Chicago-based site (www.plus10damage.com), so if I spot anyone with flyers/talking about CoH/etc I'll do my best to flag you down to get pictures/statements.
Awesome! I'll have to keep an eye on that site.
And welcome!  ;D

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
Statesman will be at NYCC.

No, not Jack specifically, but I will be going to NYCC in costume as Statesman.  After talking to my wife, we thought it would be easier and more apropriate to pull this together instead.  Due to time factors alot of the details will not be in place, but it should hopefully make an impression.

If you care to make your own here's all you need:

Cap America costume ($30 from Walmart)
Red Material (to sew up the pattern)
White Material (to make the stars)
Red Cape
Plastic Broach
Centurian Helmet
Silver Spray Paint
Torch

I'll try to get some pictures up... but due to time constraints I think it will only be half done.  Also due to the short notice of the announcement, I was only able to get a ticket for Friday.  I still need to buy a greyhound ticket, so my plans are still flexable, but here it is.

Thur Afternoon: Leave Binghamton
Friday: Attend Comic Con
(Note: I am only attending the con specifically for #SaveCOH, so 90% of my time will be standing around as Statesman, Torch in hand.  Hopefully others can join me as well in this effort).
Sat: Stand outside Comic Con
Sat Night: Leave NYC for Binghamton

Now... here is where I need some help:

1) Place to crash for the Night (Thurs & Fri)
2) Someone to bring printed materials
-Funds are too limited for me to bring any
-BUT if you feed me handouts, I'll happily share

See you in the City,

Graphite

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
So, I take it that real Earth is heaven! What a let down!

Wait a moment, if Statesman is in our universe now, then Sister Psyche is, too. Couldn't she, you know, mind control NCSoft into releasing the IP? :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 07:04:40 PM »
Unfortunately, Darrin Wade stole both of their powers.  They may have come here when they died, but they left their powers in Paragon City.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »
There must be some Ouroboros time travel thing going on too cause "if" I or Jack or someone else is the reincarnation of Statesman; we are a heck of a lot older then the game itself.

sodisarmingdarling

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
Awesome! I'll have to keep an eye on that site.
And welcome!  ;D

Thanks!  :) My goal throughout NYCC is to grab pictures/quotes from people who I see supporting #SaveCoH. I'm just gonna lurk here and see what develops in terms of meet-ups and organizing, because if there was ever a time to turn up the proverbial heat on NCsoft, it's now.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »
Thanks!  :) My goal throughout NYCC is to grab pictures/quotes from people who I see supporting #SaveCoH. I'm just gonna lurk here and see what develops in terms of meet-ups and organizing, because if there was ever a time to turn up the proverbial heat on NCsoft, it's now.
Welcome and thanks for the support!
I love your name, by the way. 

sodisarmingdarling

• Underling
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:07 PM »
Welcome and thanks for the support!
I love your name, by the way.

Thanks on both fronts! It's actually a song lyric from The National.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
Unfortunately, Darrin Wade stole both of their powers.  They may have come here when they died, but they left their powers in Paragon City.

Unless of course Psyche mind rode on Wade, in which case who knows where she is now. Could be that States is here and she isn't.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Unless of course Psyche mind rode on Wade, in which case who knows where she is now. Could be that States is here and she isn't.
This makes me think of Fullmetal Alchemist (original anime) .... >.>

Anywayyyyyy.  So people are going, yeah?  >.<

Sapphire Jane

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
I know it's a long shot, but is there any way to get one of those morning shows to cover it.. say like The Today Show.  Do they report on things such as this?  I know they report on other crap people aren't interested in.  With it being local, maybe they could send a crew?  I'm sure they schedule stuff well in advance, but worth a ponder...... *trails off mumbling to herself*
"I try to forget the night that you left.  It's all so unreal with you gone." Journey

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »
Quick update.

Costume is nearly complete.  We added rubber fishing boots with red spray paint and it is looking very sharp.  Final detail work happening now with the cowl and stars.  I have a greyhound bus leaving thrus afternoon for City and leaving NYC early Sun morning.  My room atm is a hostal in Manhattan.  I will also be bringing three tiki torches with me (without fuel).  My plan is to find a public space/main lobby type area and see if anyone will join me in a City Hall type vigil simular to what is running right now in AP33.  If I'm really really lucky I'll be able to convince the ticket gate to sell me a press or vender pass for Sat and be allowed to continue through the second day.

Wish me luck!

sodisarmingdarling

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 01:23:12 AM »
I know it's a long shot, but is there any way to get one of those morning shows to cover it.. say like The Today Show.  Do they report on things such as this?  I know they report on other crap people aren't interested in.  With it being local, maybe they could send a crew?  I'm sure they schedule stuff well in advance, but worth a ponder...... *trails off mumbling to herself*

If enough people call in to NBC's New York newsdesk (NBC 4 New York), there's a definite chance. It may not be by Today, but NBC NY local is still pretty big. Or, if it's national/international, NBC national nightly news. But you need a lot of people.

Alternatively, if people are outside Rockefeller Center early enough with big signs, the anchors may talk to them.

NYCC is definitely covered by news outlets there; I grew up in the NYC metro area and can remember tons of stories.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 01:37:49 AM »
Alternatively, if people are outside Rockefeller Center early enough with big signs, the anchors may talk to them.
GENIUS!  8)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:29 AM »

If enough people call in to NBC's New York newsdesk (NBC 4 New York), there's a definite chance. It may not be by Today, but NBC NY local is still pretty big. Or, if it's national/international, NBC national nightly news. But you need a lot of people.

NYCC is definitely covered by news outlets there; I grew up in the NYC metro area and can remember tons of stories.

That is awesome! Now who here lives close enough to do it?

sodisarmingdarling

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2012, 02:30:38 AM »
I can make calls, but buses don't start from where I'm staying until after Today's broadcast starts :(

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 03:19:42 AM »
Hey guys, I'm sorry I haven't been more active in this thread--much less than I've wanted to be.  My day job has been rearing its ugly head for the past week.  As soon as I sat down this morning I had to get on a conference call that lasted literally until someone from the next shift arrived at 7:00pm tonight.  To add insult to injury, I've been feeling a bit under the weather the past couple of days, having some nasty headaches and feeling woozy, which means that I've crashed much earlier than I normally would.

But I digress...

So is anyone going other than Graphite?  If there's something I can do to help you get flyers or other materials, I want to help out.  I wish I could hop on a plane and go myself (especially since I've never been to New York City), but that would be a bit pricey, and I'd rather dedicate my resources to helping people out who will be there already.