Author Topic: thank the gms ?  (Read 16125 times)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
thank the gms ?
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
So, something nice we could do.

Could I get official Titan permission to buy the CoH gms pizza/coffee/muffins/doughnuts  or something to thank them for looking after us and digging us out of scenary, locating madly spawned glowies and defeating bugged missions for the last 8 years, on behalf of the community?

There's only 4 of then, so it shouldn't cost much.

As I don't know Austin (or the US, come to think of it) well, if someone could point me in the direction of a place I could order it from, that would be ace.

Holding fire until I get an official yes.  Don't want to say its from the community if people don't think its cool.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
Re: thank the gms ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
It's a nice idea, but think bigger. I would hold your fire for a better target.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
Just bumping this, before I  presume it's a community-wide 'meh' and a write-off :-p
--
@Vandellia

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »
I think it's a good idea, just not clear what we're doing - is it the intention we donate something, somewhere? (on a much smaller scale than the dinner)

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
Basically. Besides, where are the GMs employed? Where would they go? The Dev Dinner was relatively easy to organize because they mentioned previously there was a restaurant they liked to go, so the whole process was fairly straightforward.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
The GMs work from the Austin office.

And yeah. I'm sorry, I'm not up with how much it'd cost to get..I dunno..coffee? Doughnuts? Pizza? For four people in the US, so I have no idea how much we'd potentially need to raise. Maybe $50? You guys probably know better than me.

But, yes, much the way we did the Devs dinner - donate whatever amount would be needed for a decent-ish spread, and delivery to 'em at the Austin office, if people are up for it.
--
@Vandellia

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
Fifty quid is a pretty decent lunch for four people in most places in America. Coffee and doughnuts would be, like, $10.

Given TonyV's latest posts, I don't think he necessarily wants us to wait for permission, either. Getting a gaming news site to cover our philanthropy would be a bonus to the cause, but we know why we're doing this--and it isn't necessarily for press. :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
I'm kind of guessing that since none of the Titans have jumped on this and gone 'NOOOOOO kill it nowwwwww!' they're not opposed to it (or they just haven't noticed it ;) )

So I'm happy to get the ball rolling on this one, if I can get...say..10 people who don't think it's a terrible idea and that $50 is about the right amount to set. I don't want to make out like I'm speaking on behalf of an entire community if I'm actually not ;)

If anyone knows of a decent place in Austin that'd be a good place to order from/send 'em to, I'd appreciate a heads up, so I can get a better idea of costs.
--
@Vandellia

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
Depends.

We have Mr. Gatti's, which is more of a chain.

Mangia's is decent.

Gumby's.

But, to see if they'd deliver... I need to know where the offices are.

Donuts... the Big Seller around here is Round Rock Donuts

Chipotle[url=http://and [url=http://freebirds.com/]Freebirds] and [url=http://freebirds.com/]Freebirds are popular.

It really depends, though.

Korbian

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
My personal Austin favorite for pizza:

www.austinspizza.com

I was also gonna suggest Freebirds, but Khep beat me to it.   :)

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
Here's the address I found:

NCsoft Austin
6801 N Capital of Texas Hwy.
Building 1, Suite # 102
Austin, TX 78731

--
@Vandellia

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
Okay, I was afraid of that.

Loop 360/Capitol of Texas Hwy has built up, but is kind of out of the way of The Good Stuff.

Let me research and see what is in the area. There IS a Waterloo Ice House, so that could be an option.

If anyone is more familiar with the area than I am (I don't get out that way much), speak up. 

If I drove I'd deliver myself.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 03:27:01 PM »
I was wondering about something like this after someone mentioned holding a vigil at the Austin offices. I agree that it doesn't need to be publicized, since, from what I'm reading so far, we'd just be saying, "Hey, Austin, sorry we missed you guys."

Any of these things are potentially subjective, due to varying tastes in pizza or donuts, though, so I'd suggest something more like what Tony did with the restaurant in California. Maybe one of those places would do a gift certificate for the GMs, so they could pick a day or whatnot. $50 is actually equivalent to the per-person breakdown of the dinner, so it should work out.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
I'm kind of guessing that since none of the Titans have jumped on this and gone 'NOOOOOO kill it nowwwwww!' they're not opposed to it (or they just haven't noticed it ;) )
(Speaking personally, and not officially for Titan)  That.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
Gift certificate for some place would also be a good idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Doh.
--
@Vandellia

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »
I'm not using the term literally, just because I don't  know how to do something like what Tony did for the Devs. They must take lunch, though. I don't even have any idea who is there or how to find out, beyond Google-fu.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

KnightHawk Prime

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
A thought: Contact Hitstreak, ask him to find out who's still there, and what their first names are, and see if he can contact them and *ask* them what they'd prefer, pizza, doughnuts, Strip O Gram (If they're all unattached ;] ) submarine sandwiches, etc, and more importantly, where *they* would want it from.

They live there, they know where they eat.

I can't see this being a problem with an NDA in the way, it's not proprietary info, and it's would make NCSoft look even worse if they tried to stop us doing something nice. ;]

And if it comes down to Hitstreak can't help us because of NDA's, give *him* the money and have *him* send it. then we don't know any info.

2cp. ;]

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 04:30:02 AM »
This can be a good idea. I agree with whoever said we should get the press involved. We want stuff like this covered.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 04:35:23 AM »
This can be a good idea. I agree with whoever said we should get the press involved. We want stuff like this covered.

There's a couple issues.. If we try to get this covered by news media it'll really look like we're just doing it to get coverage.. and especially as small-scale as this is going to be? $50 seems kinda cheap when you're trying to do something "nice" to get media coverage. :p

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »
There's a couple issues.. If we try to get this covered by news media it'll really look like we're just doing it to get coverage.. and especially as small-scale as this is going to be? $50 seems kinda cheap when you're trying to do something "nice" to get media coverage. :p

i could be completely off base here but at this point it seems that any coverage is good coverage. The more people are exposed to us with things either positive or negative the harder we are to ignore and the more people will hear about us.