Author Topic: Plan Z: The Phoenix Project FAQ  (Read 6540 times)

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Plan Z: The Phoenix Project FAQ
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:16:52 am »
Hello!

We've been seeing a lot of the same questions pop up, so here's an evolving FAQ. I will be editing it as more questions come up. :)

1. What is this forum for?
    This forum is for general discussion of building a new MMO should City of Heroes be shut down. It is also for players seeking to connect with other players. Efforts to save City of Heroes should be posted in the Save Paragon City! thread at http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html

2. What are you doing?
    We are designing a player-created spiritual successor to the City of Heroes MMO. You can find brief setting information here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5742.0.html

2. a) Can I transfer my character from City of Heroes/Villains directly to this new game?
    It should be possible to transfer your avatar directly if you have extracted it using the Sentinel system. It may need some tweaking to get looking exactly how you want it, because we are not using and cannot use the costume pieces in the CoH avatar-builder due to IP issues, but you should be able to get the look you want. We cannot make any promises at this time regarding direct porting of your character's mechanics; we are building our own game and while the feel of gameplay should be similar, the exact power sets are not necessarily going to be directly mirrored. However, we intend to make it as painless as possible to (re)build your character exactly how you want it!

3. Who's in charge?

Project Lead: Warcabbit   
Warcabbit is responsible for resolving conflicts between departments that canít be resolved otherwise. 

Art Director: Petalstorm
As Art Director, Petalstorm will be responsible for the overall look and appearance of the game, working closely with the others to make we have a game that lives up to its promise.

Business and Marketing: Terwyn
The business and marketing lead is Terwyn. He will not have significant hands-on involvement with the development process, as his role is to deal with the world outside of the game.

Composition Director Robin
Handling the writing, Robin has proven himself quite adept at handling the diverse group of writers which has joined our efforts.

Technical Director: Downix
Our technical director is Downix, who has proven an extremely valuable asset to the project, defining some innovative uses of technology and showing a preference for elegant Code.

Studio Director: PlanetJ
PlanetJ is responsible for the overall feel of the game, and will be working closely with the others to ensure thatall systems mesh together.

4. I want to help. Who do I talk to?
    You can post your skills in this thread: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5369.0.html and we will try to guide you into the area best suited to your skills. You can also go to the forum best suited to your skills and begin discussion there. We very much appreciate offers for us to email you if we would like you to help, but it is much easier (and likely to get a faster response) if you send us private messages or post in the appropriate forum.

5. What is your current status?
    I'm glad you asked! We have a master document that is being updated frequently here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PzZsIMiaFwBqNixt6IJuXSFYbLc-b-gyBMjyji4vh2o/edit. This covers the majority of our current progress, ideas that have already been submitted, and general status. It may not always be current on Story and Lore, because those areas are evolving rapidly.

6. But you didn't answer my question!
   So ask it in this thread! But please try to skim the forums first, because your answer may be found in one of those forums.

7. I have a concern or idea that I want to bring up privately. Who do I talk to?
    First and foremost, speak to the Team Lead for that group. If it is not specific to a group, or overlaps several groups, copy ALL of the team leads for those groups. General questions for the executive committee should be sent to the entire committee. It is much easier for all of us to communicate when we don't have to recopy messages to a Team Lead who was left out of a conversation.

8. I have a problem/concern/personal issue with one of the other contributors on the forum.
    Identify the problem, put it into clear words, and open a conversation with that person. If you are concerned about hostile reaction, please copy members of the Executive Committee - I've handled moderation of disputes quite a lot previously, and you're welcome to approach me with any requests for moderation of interpersonal dispute discussions. We will do our best to work out the problems, and come to an amicable solution.

9. I have a problem or concern with one of the Team Leads/Executive Committee. How can I address this?
    The first step is to communicate that problem or concern clearly to that team lead and to the Executive Committee. We will discuss it mutually from there, with you, and try to address your concerns and resolve any problems in a fair and amicable way. I will stress that none of us are mind-readers, so we cannot know if you have problems or concerns unless you tell us. We WILL try to address problems as they are brought up, but we have to know that they exist before we can do so.

10. How are you planning on funding this?
    We are currently discussing various funding options in the Legal forum, which can be found here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,144.0.html.

11. Will I be able to import my Sentinel+ characters into Plan Z?
    We're hoping we can copy the avatars in, and have minimal need to re-shape them with our new costume pieces. At this time, we honestly don't know how feasible porting the power sets over will be. We can certainly try, but it's up tp Gameplay and Tech on whether it will be possible at all. I'm sure there will be some tweaking required, and that the match won't be perfect. That said, we'll certainly be trying to make it as painless as possible to (re)make your characters without infringing on NCSoft's IP.

12. What about this Heroes and Villains website that says it's Plan Z?
   That website is an independent effort and is unrelated to the work being done here in the Titan Network forums. It is not sponsored by Plan Z Studios, nor is it a part of Plan Z: The Phoenix Project. We wish the website's creator the best of luck in her endeavors, but she is not operating with the rest of us. Golden Girl is no longer a part of the Phoenix Project.

Edit: Fixed the Google Doc link *again*.
Edit: Added questions 7-9
Edit: Added TonyV to Executive Committee
Edit: Updated Leadership Roles and added question 10.
Edit by Segev: Updated Leadership Roles.
Edit: Added question 11.
Edit: Added question 12.
Edit: Updated Team Leads for Gamplay and Web.
Edit: More updates
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:10:28 pm by downix »
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Pseudo42

• Underling
Re: Plan Z: The Phoenix Project FAQ
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:34:34 am »
The Google Documents link takes me to a create document.

That... shouldn't do that... I think.

SithRose

• Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
The Google Documents link takes me to a create document.

That... shouldn't do that... I think.

No. It shouldn't.

*glares at Google Docs* OK, what did you do THIS time, stupid machine?

It should be fixed now.

Defcon Kid

• Lieutenant
  • CoH Forever!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:11:11 am »
I've tried to open the document on Google Docs, even logging into my gmail account, and seems unable to download it; I click on "Save as", select either Word (.docx) or .pdf and nothing happens. I'm using Internet Explorer, btw, might that be any problem?
Spanish and proud Defianter. 31 50s and counting. Proud co-leader of Fuerza Letal, Liga de las Sombras, Legion del Fenix and Infernal Justice. Also a happy member of Gammaforce and D.O.A., and now spreading tentacles to the other side of the pond :)

mtheumer121

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:39:22 pm »
In knew those Champion-esque character models over at Heroes and Villains looked familiar!  I know I probably won't get an answer, but why did you guys and GG split?  She was a bit "eccentric" , but I figured she was full-on supportive of the project.

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:33 pm »
In knew those Champion-esque character models over at Heroes and Villains looked familiar!  I know I probably won't get an answer, but why did you guys and GG split?  She was a bit "eccentric" , but I figured she was full-on supportive of the project.

Is it worth noting that most of us found out about the split by following a link posted by a gaming site to her site.  Followed by confusion.

SithRose

• Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

There were fundamental differences between Golden Girl's vision of a spiritual successor to COH and the rest of the lead team's vision. Golden Girl chose to leave Plan Z: The Phoenix Project and begin her own independent project as a result of those differences.