Author Topic: Reply from NCSoft  (Read 59615 times)

Heat Guard

• Minion
Re: Reply from NCSoft
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
I um.. took out my meditation crystal stones... Think I might try the tin foil.
I've been wearing one of those before they became the 'in' thing.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »
I got well a good size amount of crystals and stones.  Divination mostly for me using Norse Rune methods I modified for my use.  Been doing that for ... er 15 or 16 years now give or take.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

jabiggers

• Minion
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
There is a chance for CoH2, NCSoft recently extended the trademark on the name:

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85004611&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

but that still doesn't make since to cancel the original before releasing CoH2

and as far as why they won't sell, I believe, is because they don't want the competition of CoH on their new releases. And they don't want anyone else making more money on CoH than they are making on their new titles. It's kind of a "It's ours and you can't have it" type of attitude.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
I got well a good size amount of crystals and stones.  Divination mostly for me using Norse Rune methods I modified for my use.  Been doing that for ... er 15 or 16 years now give or take.

Hmm... considering a lot of Hero lore is rooted in Norse mythos, do you think Odin might be interested in giving NCsoft a kick in the nads?  8)

Given the situation, 2010 is hardly recent. The 'realignment of company focus' BS was announced because it was an unprecedented shift in their long-term goals. Anything NCsoft was thinking even a year ago, is probably irrelevant now.

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
4TH extension granted on October 23, 2012
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
Wow, nice one Hyperstrike! Did you draw that? O.O

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2012, 08:18:33 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

No, had it pointed out to me on FB.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
*raises hand*

I'm the guilty party for drawing that toon, and Quinch can share the rap for the idea behind it ;D

I uploaded it to the GameKiller folder at the MMOKiller Photobucket site - feel free to drop in, browse around, and download whatever you like to use wherever you want :)

Stellar Agent

• Underling
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2012, 11:52:59 PM »
4TH extension granted on October 23, 2012

Aren't extensions of this type only good for one year?  If so, NCSoft is going to be spending a lot of money just to make sure that NO ONE can use their IP in any form.

Sad.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
Aren't extensions of this type only good for one year?  If so, NCSoft is going to be spending a lot of money just to make sure that NO ONE can use their IP in any form.

Sad.

Registering a trademark doesn't cost very much at all to maintain. I doubt they'd even notice it.

Surelle

« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2012, 12:32:11 AM »

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=85004611&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

but that still doesn't make since to cancel the original before releasing CoH2

That sounds more like they don't want anyone else, especially perhaps some other iteration of a re-formed Paragon Studios, possibly taking the name if it's left out in the wilds.

One just never knows, does one?  ;)

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
Registering a trademark doesn't cost very much at all to maintain. I doubt they'd even notice it.

My understanding ( I could be wrong) that this is the Fourth of Five allowed extensions of the ITU (Intent To Use) and they have to renew every 6 months at this point. If they do not show use or work by the end of the 5 extension they could lose the copyright. I doubt that they will lose it, but if it does go into default I know a few people that would snatch it up as quick as they can. ;)
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
My understanding ( I could be wrong) that this is the Fourth of Five allowed extensions of the ITU (Intent To Use) and they have to renew every 6 months at this point. If they do not show use or work by the end of the 5 extension they could lose the copyright. I doubt that they will lose it, but if it does go into default I know a few people that would snatch it up as quick as they can. ;)
So that makes 1 year before they start working on City of Heroes 2, or 1 year before they get City of Heroes 2 out ?
Yeeessss....

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »
So that makes 1 year before they start working on City of Heroes 2, or 1 year before they get City of Heroes 2 out ?

I believe 1 year before they show work in progress, that means that it could be whatever Paragon Studios was working on or the dreaded sidescroller that was mentioned in another thread that they could label as COH2.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
I believe 1 year before they show work in progress, that means that it could be whatever Paragon Studios was working on or the dreaded sidescroller that was mentioned in another thread that they could label as COH2.
Paragon Studios Secret Software (PSSS ?) is reportedly KIA with PS itself, and was reportedly a new franchise.

I've already seen a sequel dumbed down from the original... (Supreme Commander), but not this much ! Side-scrolled would really kill all of us ten times.
Yeeessss....

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »
Paragon Studios Secret Software (PSSS ?) is reportedly KIA with PS itself, and was reportedly a new franchise.

True, but it is still artwork that hasn't been shown to anyone and a COH2 label being slapped on it wouldn't take much. It is what I would do if I wanted to hold on to a name that I have copyrighted.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
True, but it is still artwork that hasn't been shown to anyone and a COH2 label being slapped on it wouldn't take much. It is what I would do if I wanted to hold on to a name that I have copyrighted.

For that matter, they could take the concept work that they themselves shuttered 2 years ago for the REAL CoH2, slap the name on it, and call it done.  If what I have been told is correct, they sent their people in immediately to strip the offices, and that CoH2 stuff should still have been in the files. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido