Author Topic: NCsoft and YouTube  (Read 2477 times)

Quinch

NCsoft and YouTube
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
I don't know if this would work or not - or if it would be against YouTube TOS or something. But in case both check out -

Does NCsoft have much of a YouTube presence, whether through a channel of its own, or through secondhand promo materials? Because we might make use of the comments system.

Every video that allows comments features two comments with the highest number of thumbs-up at the top of the comments section. Thus, it may be possible to further bomb NCsoft's PR by making sure a comment - one, I'm not advocating comment spamming here, though if you want to add your views, that's always good - that points out just what exactly NCsoft does with its games and how it treats its customers always gets the proverbial top billing.

Any thoughts?

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: NCsoft and YouTube
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Usually NCSoft has separate accounts for each games. At least that was the case with City of Heroes.
Yeeessss....

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
But basically, it would be a fairly trivial task to find their trailers etc. as they get put up?

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »
But basically, it would be a fairly trivial task to find their trailers etc. as they get put up?
Yep
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
Cool. So, any thoughts on the idea? Would it have an impact, would it be easy to organize and coordinate?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
And you don't need to comment to give a video a thumb down.  Just saying...
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Quinch

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Yes, but if you simply thumbdown a video, the message is mostly lost. The point isn't the video itself - it's pushing the message, relating to the video, into the spotlight.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
Yes, but if you simply thumbdown a video, the message is mostly lost. The point isn't the video itself - it's pushing the message, relating to the video, into the spotlight.
Correct.  But there's a big difference between a bunch of people coming in and spamming the comments and one person leaving a comment followed by a whole bunch of people giving the trailer a thumb down.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Quinch

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
They're not mutually exclusive - thumbing up the comment and thumbing down the video.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
And i've noticed that there are quite a few TR shutdown vids, a few for Dungeon runners, auto assault and Exsteel, out there as well. I don't know youtube's mechanics well enough to know if these can be cross linked somehow...

A pattern of behavior can be used as evidence in a court of law. A similar philosophy might apply here?
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
But a thumb down is anonymous and bears no message. If we were to create an official account that thumbs up all the Save the City! videos out there (to fill the channel page with them) and warns in comments of the NCSoft videos (which all youtubers we are could boost to the top), that could get the exact point across.
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
Maybe I'm just not being clear.  I'm not suggesting a "one or the other" approach.  I'm suggesting a two-pronged approach.

1) Have a single-point source for comments to get the message across that specifically spells out how now NCsoft treats their customer base.  We don't want to flood the comments section with everyone posting the info, so the single-point source works best here.

2) Mobilize as many people as possible to do two things:  thumb up the comment spelling out how NCsoft treats customers and thumb down the video.

By using both approaches, we get the exact message we want out there, probably get the comment promoted to show up in the "Top Comments", and simultaneously express our displeasure with NCsoft in general by way of the overall "likes/dislikes" rating.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »
we agree eabrace, my post just waited too long and other answered the same thing before me :-)

But, one thing, what do we do about City of Heroes videos ? do we thumb them down, or up ? I'm not exactly for thumbing down the excellent trailers that NCSoft did. I would feel the same about any game. (except maybe the "Free, forever !" video), but maybe that the only effect we'll have is NCSoft is going to remove those videos, if it can't nuke the comments and like/dislike count (they can do that)
Yeeessss....

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »
Here's a prong: NC Soft games are available for sale on Amazon. It appears that all you need to do to leave a review is have an Amazon account.

Here's a story for inspiration: Tinderbox
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »