Author Topic: Starburst Magazine - Boycotts NCsoft  (Read 13565 times)

Jordan Royce

• Underling
Starburst Magazine - Boycotts NCsoft
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you all know that Starburst Magazine (World's longest running sci-fi, horror, magazine) has just announced a boycott of NCsoft and all their products until the date that this is dealt with in a manner that is respectful towards all of the players of City Of Heroes.

The Editor of the mag had been a player for years, and felt a vested interest in this fight. We have tweeted the details to our 280,000 followers and will continue to inform them of unfolding events. We are also including an article on this whole debacle in our next issue (384) - which has just gone off to print.

Everyone at Starburst is incredibly impressed with the Save COH campaign. It is remarkable how well you have managed to rally the troops. We are behind you 100%

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Starburst Magazine

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/editorial/3869-boycott-ncsoft
asdfasdf

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: Starburst Magazine - Boycotts NCsoft
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
Nice article, btw it's Blade and soul not black and soul.

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »
So very excellent! Thank you for using your voice to share the story of City of Heroes with your audience. This is yet another example of how NCsoft completely underestimated their own audience. We have known for years that MMO players are from all walks of life. We are at the very least consumers with control of our purchasing decisions and right now we are at our best! We are a strong, unified voice. Thank you again, Jordan! Highest regards!

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »
yay! we have a magazine that's behind us. Thats awesome! can we get some of our efforts in it maybe? some con pics from all of us passing out flyers and links to things we've done (charities, events we held etc) maybe? VV most likely has some really cool pics and the new york con has some i've seen (they had statesmen!) and the one i went to too.

This is great that we have more support for the boycott becuase boycotts only work if you can make them hurt. Bravo, I couldn't be happier as one of the boycotters.

That website makes me happy ^^

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »
This is what needs to happen right now. NC isn't going to budge, more likely than not, but when the City of Heroes lights go out, we'll have nothing left to lose - either they sell the IP, or the whole Western market hears about how they can't be trusted, until there's no foothold left for them here. Sure, maybe the company will survive... but they will trouble us no longer.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
You see, that's the funny thing about being a hero. You wind up with allies and friends in the craziest of places. ;)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
There's a few editorial inaccuracies in there....

"massively multi player online video game"

The 2nd paragraph states that it is the "second longest running MMO"

The same sentence also states that we started after WoW, when in fact it opened before hand.

And, as mentioned Black and Soul should be Blade and Soul.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
Well...this is delightfully definitive and delightfully beneficial to us! Thanks to all of you at Starburst for this new contribution to our efforts. This is the sort of real weight we need to be able to bring to bear. We have a lot of material that could use an outlet, so let us know if and when we might contribute

I realize, of course, that you, as a professional magazine, have standards you must maintain - when I say contribute, I mean we turn over our work for you to use as works best for you, whether that means some editing or cut and pasting various bits for use in other articles. Obviously you cannot simply publish our eclectic efforts, but they represent quite a collection of various insights and angles, and some of it might well be fit to publish as is. Or you could just browse through these forums for goodies - but that's a lot more time consuming than inviting us to pm you links in a thread.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »
Thanks so much,  Starburst (always knew there was a reason I liked you more than SFX, and it wasn't just because you have Ian writing for you :) )
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Jordan Royce

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for pointing out a few things that needed editing.

In answer to some of your questions. We are more than happy to feature your efforts. In particular if it does go dark on the 30th November then we would love to do a follow up feature in the print edition on all of your efforts. Most importantly should an alternative version (of whatever form) be launched we will do everything we can to get the word out.

Feel free to email info@starburstmagazine.com if there is anything we can do to help.

Starburst Magazine

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
Heck yeah! :: Applauds! ::

Especially love this -- "...until the date that this is dealt with in a manner that is respectful towards all of the players of City Of Heroes." That just sums it up beautifully. We have not just had our game shut down, we have been dissed!

Welcome to the barricades, Starburst and company.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »
Just wondering, but what happened to all of the comments that were posted? Did you remove them because they were correcting inaccuracies of the original Editorial?

I would imagine that the comments are no longer there because the mistakes have been corrected and it is really a new article.

Just to say - it is great to see this support, thank you Starburst :)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:51:36 AM »
Y'know what, I might just have to go subscribe to Starburst for being such bros about this.

Feel free to bring Meathead over onto the Beta server.  I'd be happy to join him in beating some unsuspecting villains into senseless heaps.

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:21:35 AM »
I'm totally giving you e-hugs right now.

Thankies!

:D

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »
This is a very nice gesture - and with over a quarter of a million followers, we might be able to help snowball this.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 03:01:07 AM »
If that's the way we're rolling, we'd better start putting our weight behind it. Here's a link I've found to what seems like a solidly written article also espousing a boycott on NCSoft. I'll bring in more shortly. Let's get to it gang!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 03:11:19 AM »
If that's the way we're rolling, we'd better start putting our weight behind it. Here's a link I've found to what seems like a solidly written article also espousing a boycott on NCSoft. I'll bring in more shortly. Let's get to it gang!
Psst, you forgot your link.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 04:11:57 AM »
I will be including news of this boycott in my next entry of Voices.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »
Mr. Royce, if there is ANYTHING I can do for you and your publication please let me know.  And thank you.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 06:07:09 AM »
Pssst!!  Jordan? Victoria Victrix in the post above me? That's Mercedes Lackey! She's probably too modest to mention it herself. :D