Author Topic: Logged in Nov 30th?  (Read 15573 times)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: Logged in Nov 30th?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »
The day I bought/installed the game on April 28th, 2004 I created my little Healix. She emerged in Atlas Park, and she will watch the lights go out there.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
Posting this kind of buried in this thread on purpose, because while I do want it to be seen, I don't want it to be extremely widespread as it could cause a bit of chaos.

If you want your character to revisit some old memories before logging out (or being kicked off for some of us), here's how to get there.

NOTE: This is technically an exploit. It's mostly harmless in the grand scheme of things, though with some creativity you can get anywhere in the game with it, including lots of places you're not "supposed" to be. A few of us have been using it for a couple months to map out some of the "lost" zones, but if you're extremely paranoid, you've been warned.

You'll need to get Long Range Teleport, either with a respec or with an alternate build. If you only have one place to go, you can use a Wentworth's/Black Market Teleporter temp power instead. Base Teleporter does NOT work.

1. Activate Long Range Teleport. When the destination window pops up, do not click anything.

2. Copy and paste one of the following into your chat box and hit enter:

Paragon Dance Party
Code: [Select]
/enter_door_teleport LinkFrom_City_02_01 68
Old Faultline
/enter_door_teleport LinkFrom_City_02_02 19
Rikti Crash Site
/enter_door_teleport LinkFrom_City_05_01 60
Galaxy City *(the real one, not the Echo)
/enter_door_teleport NewPlayer 29
Outbreak
/enter_door_teleport NewPlayer 24
Breakout
/enter_door_teleport NewPlayer 70
3. Party like it's 2004!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »
OMG...

I've GOT to try that out!

(EDIT: Confirmed - it works with Wentworth/Black Market Tporters. First time I've gotten a demorecord/screenshots of OLD Faultline in about 5 years!)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:13:11 PM by Atlantea »

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 08:00:58 PM »
The only part that I can see that would lead to that would be the Q4 for 2011... where there *was* indeed an increase in financial revenues from the previous 6 months.

It is interesting as to how this come across though, it could be read as that the game was actually in quite severe trouble and that there was indeed going to be a very large decline in players and money... and if it wasn't for Freedom, the Q4 revenues would have shown a completely different picture.

Very true.  Granted, there are ways to creatively track & report revenue.    For example:  pre-orders for Going Rogue.

Now, the moment I give my money to NCSoft, it's in their hands, but many/most businesses won't "realize" that revenue in the accounting until the product is delivered.  The pre-orders gave us access to powersets early, though, so some of the product was effectively delivered in advance.  This could justify early-realizing some or all of that revenue early, if they wanted..  If some or all of that revenue was reported in the quarter prior to release, it would "fill some potholes" in any decline they may have been experiencing, camouflaging it from the reports. If they'd rather have a bigger-measured "surge" they may have deferred the results to the actual product release.  Similar issues arise when it comes to reporting a yearly subscription.  Break it down on a month-by-month level as each month is completed? Realize it only after the full contract is completed (at the end of the year?)  Realize it whent you have all that cash on-hand and have begun offering the service? 

It could be that how that source is measuring the boost in revenue in his reference is using the increase based on his perspective, which is different than how NCSoft is reporting that revenue.

------------------

I went back and re-examind some of the reports, to be sure they didn't explain how they reported these, and wha really stood out for me this time wasn't that CoH was such a small part of those charts, but that it was such a large part of the markets that it served:
  • in 2011, CoH had 12,086mn won in sales.
  • It was active in the NA (27,383) and EU market (17,928) at the time (45,311 total mn won in sales). 
  • That's ~26% of those two regions' 2011 sales!   

They don't give enough data to fully do this next step, but if you generously assume that all the other titles were proportionally-represented evenly across all markets and give them a respective proportion of the US/European market, then you'd have Aion at ~13,700 won, L1 at ~12,035, and L2 at 6,185 in those regions.  Given the wide margin of error for such assumptions, (and my expectation that GW and many of the "other" titles are probably VERY regional) you can still see that CoH could have been a contender for top sales in the markets that it served in 2011.  Yet less than a year later it is shut down, so something doesn't add up.

Of course, one annoyance in trying to get any useful info from those reports is the bait-and-switch in metrics.  You provide sales based on each game, but you don't report costs based on each game.. you report by subsidiary.  This can be roughly translated to region (nc interactive+ Arenanet+ NC Europe comes a bit higher than the european+us total) but you can't really tell the health of a product here like I'd prefer.  If I had the the "costs" per game to compare to the "sales" then we could see each product's individual health.  As it is, we don't know how much of the "running in the red" at NC Interactive is from all the other products under development (GWII, Wildstar, Paragon's mystery project) generating no revenue and how much of it is due to bad margins at any one revenue-generator. 

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
Back on Topic:

My wife and I will be rotating between a few characters that night- we have a few couples we'd like to say "goodbye" to, but we'll be ending the night with our namesakes, "Chase Arcanum" and "Cinder Flame", Liberty Server...  We're gonna take down Mot one last time, then stay on until someone pulls the plug.

mikenovember

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Mikey, and several of the old Kings Row Taxi's will be on Infinity.  Technically, we should be in KR, but I almost think it's fitting that we should stand atop Atlas, torches out. 

(Although marching on NC's offices in Korea torches out would probably be more fun.)

Loveclown

• Underling
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2012, 10:05:23 PM »
Well as servers go it's 'Union for life' for me.

As to what toon? Well I think they all deserve to breath the air in Paragon City one last time, but I'll be on Spanky the Loveclown when the lights go out...

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
You will want to be logged in the evening of the 29th.  As I understand 3AM(ET) November 30 the servers go off
It has been confirmed several times that the server shutdown is to occur at 11:59:59PM Pacific on Friday, Nov. 30th.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 12:05:31 AM »
Well as servers go it's 'Union for life' for me.

As to what toon? Well I think they all deserve to breath the air in Paragon City one last time, but I'll be on Spanky the Loveclown when the lights go out...

There will be plenty of us around Spanky - see you then if not before  :)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »
Well Nov. 30th, I hope you all have fun, even with the gloomy pall the situation casts over that day, and enjoy time with friends family real and in game, and try to remeber the good times.

Unfortunately I will not be there on Nov. 30th in game (havent logged in since I left the first time.)  but will always remember COX.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
They may kick the players out of CoX, but they will Never get City of Heroes out of the players!
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »
I expect to be weeping too much to see the screen, but I will be there on Pinnacle on Seraphic Flame if Cody is on JM.  If he is not, I will be on Virtue on Victoria Victrix.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Evangel - Project 7

• Minion
  • Never Surrender.
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2012, 03:39:36 AM »
Evangel will be there - fighting until the very end. I don't intend to go out with a vigil or some movement. I want to remember the game as it was. I don't want to log out I want to be mapservered. I support all the efforts to show a display of numbers but to me it's more important to get closure by doing what I love - playing my character.

Evangel will be swinging his katana until the screen freezes...

Go. Hunt. Record CoH.
Evangel | Infinity Server
Go. Hunt. Save CoH.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2012, 03:42:51 AM »
Evangel will be there - fighting until the very end. I don't intend to go out with a vigil or some movement. I want to remember the game as it was. I don't want to log out I want to be mapservered. I support all the efforts to show a display of numbers but to me it's more important to get closure by doing what I love - playing my character.

Go. Hunt. Record CoH.

That's how I'm playing it.  I want to go out on an ITF!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
Would it be wrong to be under the statue of Atlas, dancing to this?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
Since it's on a friday, I may stay up until the very end too... one last tribute to my old all night CoH playing sessions...  :'(

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »

Go. Hunt. Record CoH.
Hm. You're on Infinity, and it IS a Friday night that goes, for me, until 1 am. Maybe I can hunt you down to hang out a bit. I'll be Segev, the necromancy mastermind, if I can make it. (I'm only level 17, though, and I don't know if red side/blue side issues would prevent it.)

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
Cygnata and Kelp will hopefully spend that night together, either in AP or Galaxy echo.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »
I plan to be in Galaxy Echo (at "the park") Friday night until I get disconnected. I'll be on the very first character I ever made ("T J"), back in the summer of 2004. Personally I can't see any better way to leave the game than on him; where I started shall be where I finish.

/em salute
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com