Author Topic: And so... the final Salute  (Read 5322 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
And so... the final Salute
« on: December 01, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »
I was on my main, Cyberman 8.

Virtue was nearly dead on it's feet from the load as it was. I popped into our Supergroup base one last time right before the end. Then tried to pop back into the Atlas Park I came from... only to have it crash on me.

I thought quickly, popped onto Champion Server, there was copy of Cyberman 8 there.

In Galaxy.

The original Galaxy.

Not... precisely what I had in mind... But the Global Channels still worked right up to the end, and I was able to trade goodbyes and virtual hugs with my friends.

No one was there in Galaxy... and I was standing in front of Freedom Corp and it hit me...

I saw the old plinth where Back Alley Brawler used to stand. and I MOVED quickly, I knew I only had seconds...

I'm crying as I type this...

This... works.

That final screenshot. The image on the screen hung there for like 4-5 minutes after the sound cut off...

I can't believe I was doing this... But I think I was muttering... "No... please... come back... please come back..."

I knew this would happen. I knew holding back the emotion until the end would be bad. I'm devastated. But I had to... 4 days after the announcement of Black Friday, I buckled down, shoved it aside and made goals to achieve.

And got damn near all of it done. I think I got something like 250-300 additional badges just for C8 alone, not to mention my other mains.

I said I'd leave with as few regrets as possible. I achieved that. I went from experiencing something like 65% of the content to something closer to 90% or better.

But...

Now there's nothing to hold it back anymore...

GOD... DAMN.. It... 

I'm broken... just fucking broken...

That last image... *sob*

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:52:18 AM by Atlantea »

Pep Rally

• Boss
Re: And so... the final Salute
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
I know how you feel. I was kicking myself for taking time off from CoH earlier this year. There was so much new content I still hadn't run in the months I was "mostly" away.(I popped in 1-2 nights a month for Tanker Tuesdays). I set about running as much of the new content as possible before the end. Thank god for the beta server where I got to run both Sig arcs(so good), and some first Ward stuff. Unfortunately, I was not VIP so I couldn't run any DA arcs, or the newer itrials. :(

I will say that you were not alone in Galaxy because I know for a fact that Ultraamann, one of Champion's finest Tanks, was stationed on M1's arm, as well as the spirits of all my tanks except, Pep, who was in Atlas Park with many of her fellow Championites as the lights went out.

...it is always darkest before the dawn. There will be happiness again. Just keep fighting.

Coffin

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Wanted C8 to have one more pic after the server shutdown, so you know he lives on.
Tried get a quickie done on Paper.
Hope I haven't mangled your hero too much. :)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
Aww man. Thanks. (snif, now I'm getting misty-eyed again, damnit...)

But yeah... *nod*  I know he lives on. He lives in my head, and I've made a version of him over in Champions Online for starters.

Yet the emotion of the moment as I felt as if some unknowable aspect of him/me was ripped away unnecessarily was quite real.

Thanks for making me smile a bit even as the gesture chokes me up a bit.

Lace

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
*Hugs*

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
I said it over on the Cape forums and I'll say it here.
This was absolutely perfect.
I salute you, and him.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
I'm tearing up again just reading this, Atlantea.  Great shots of Cyberman 8.  I'm glad you got those screenies.  I'm even glad you got the one of the Fatal Error pop-up.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
Atlantea,

That is both touching and heartbreaking. I must commend you on your quick thinking. To go out that way, on the plinth where BAB once stood, in the Echo of Galaxy City...

Well, there's just something about that, something all too right.

Well done. So VERY well done!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »
 :'(

I miss the game so much already.

Great post, Atlantea.

:-\
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

UberGuy

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
Atlantea,

That is both touching and heartbreaking. I must commend you on your quick thinking. To go out that way, on the plinth where BAB once stood, in the Echo of Galaxy City...

This. Very much this.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Atlantea,

Thank you.

Just one thing...

That wasn't the echo of Galaxy City.

That was the ORIGINAL Galaxy City. I'd originally made that copy of Cyberman 8 back before server transfers became available, and also as a hedge against anyone taking the name. (Name-sitting, I guess you'd say). And I think I skipped the tutorial with that copy, went into Galaxy city direct from character creation, and just logged him out and never got around to using that copy of him. (I was in a slight panic at the time and I didn't check closely, but I think the "days idle" number at character select was well over 1000 days with the copy.)

I ran to the tram first, thinking I could get to Ouro, thence Atlas, and couldn't leave that way.

And that copy of C8 was level 1. I had nothing, no way to unlock a travel power or Ouro or anything and I couldn't get to any of the other theoretical exits. Had no SG to use the SG portal with on that server.

In the end I didn't mind. Serendipity and improvisation... well. It's not the way I'd originally planned to go out, and in fact, there's no good way to go.

But it'll do.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:24:21 AM by Atlantea »

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Touching story...I had to sleep before the final end, although I was very close....I had wondered what the screen would look like----- but now I know.
I had a simular character on Infinity, 8thGirl her logo was a small red number to the right.
Too bad we didn't run a mish together, would've been interesting.

James_Bonnell

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 10:24:22 PM »
Thanks for that!

Yeah - turns out one of my level 6 characters on Liberty (Powerdown) was logged out in old Galaxy.

Since that was almost exclusively my hero starting zone while I was active, it was a great nostalgia moment for me to see it one last time.   

I also took my first 50 (Kinetic Barbie) on a zone tour in the last hour I had to play yesterday.

I'm really glad I did both of those things.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
Touching story...I had to sleep before the final end, although I was very close....I had wondered what the screen would look like----- but now I know.
I had a simular character on Infinity, 8thGirl her logo was a small red number to the right.
Too bad we didn't run a mish together, would've been interesting.

Ha! Wow.

You know... If we'd ever met, I know I would've offered tips for costumes to see if you liked my ideas, because I'd had very similar notions for a female character. And experimented a few times in the CC with it.

I mean - Cyberman 8, right? A number often times implies a series, one way or another.

In fact, I had a villain brute (that unfortunately I never took beyond level 25) named Cyberman 9. The concept was that one of the other mad scientists in the Rogue Isles got a hold of the tech used to create C8 and created C9, who himself used to be an Arachnos soldier who died/was on the edge of death. I'll have to upload a screenshot of him later, but the general idea when designing his costume was "Mirror Image" - which did not mean just flipping the colors around. Instead C9 is bulkier and more "muscular" looking as well as the details on his costume are slightly more "mechanical" looking than C8's base form. In terms of the tech, the "Mad" who created him was reverse-engineering the tech and was making sure everything was robust enough to work and wasn't as concerned with grace and subtlety. Basically a "brute force" fighter to counter C8's finesse.

For all that he's a villain, though, Cyberman 9 I considered "sane".

Sirene Sieben (Siren 7), though, would not have been. She was considered one of the previous 7 "failures" before C8 because the process of transferring her mind to a robotic shell left her... not right. I made a version of her as a stalker. Unfortunately I can't really RP "crazy" all that well, and I happened to choose a power set for Stalkers that didn't really play well at the time - it was "gimped", as the saying goes - so I deleted the character thinking to recreate her later, but never got around to it. But I do have some screenshots of her. Again - I was going for "the tech should look similar, but not identical". So she's "sleek tights" with the "Perplex" pattern which created a sort of "Tron" like pattern, and she actually had hair instead of a helmet and half-shield visor over her eyes. I think IIRC her attack power was actually Energy Melee. If I'd recreated her I would have used Kinetic Melee or Street Fighting.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »
You seem to have had more insight than I.....Wow, a 9th man...as a villain.
cool.

I tried a male at first, but the costume creator didn't have the content I wanted.
least I couldn't find it.
The Female costume content had fit the bill....
I didn't have enough time to add Incarnate abilities.

Did you ever add Incarnate Power to your 8 man?
Bet that would've been a sight to behold in battles.

anyway, perhaps they will show up in Titan someday.
Keep the faith.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 01:54:02 AM »
Did you ever add Incarnate Power to your 8 man?
Bet that would've been a sight to behold in battles.

Oh yes - you have no idea how much that added at the high end.

On the Defense end of things, he had the Alpha Slot Innate "Agility" which added to his already over-capped defense. Without any incarnate power activated, C8 hovered around 50-55% Defense for Melee, Ranged, and AOE.

WITH Agility active and if he was in a zone like Dark Astoria where the +3 level kicked in, his Melee shot up to about 62%, his ranged right at 60%, and the AOE defense lagging slightly behind at 58%.

It's true that over 45% Defense in the regular game was "Capped". That meant statistically it no longer mattered much after that point.

Except that it kinda did - there's lots of things that drain or suppress defense. And being over-capped adds resistance to that. So even if a random "autohit" attack that suppresses defense hits, it won't lower you under the cap.

And in the incarnate trials, I seem to recall that 60% was the cap, not 45%. So it did in fact make a difference there.

You just stop worrying about Malta Sappers and the like when you know that 99% of the time, they're just not even going to hit you at all.

And then there was the addition of the Defense Barrier Shield from the Destiny set. Which throws up a defense bubble around you and up to a few dozen other people around you. If more than one person in a trial threw those up at the same time...

...I had a little section of my HUD set aside to keep track of defense numbers, running and jumping speeds and the like. Ever seen those numbers go to 200% and flash from green to blue, indicating the absolute game limit where the calculator cries "UNCLE"? I did many times. Consider that for a about 10-15 seconds an entire League could be granted that level of defense at a critical point.

On the offensive side of things, one of the passive incarnate boosts added an effect to your normal attacks that each time you hit, had a strong chance to debuff the damage resistance of whatever you were hitting, as well as add a small DOT (Damage over Time) element. Now consider that as a Scrapper, you can get Criticals/Double Damage... Oh yes - Cyberman 8 hit like a freight train. And the more he hit, the the harder the blows landed!

On crack - because I was also IOed out with as much as I could get in recharge reduction as well as defense.

Okay - sure. Martial Arts is mainly a Single Target damage set with only one PBAOE (Dragons Tail sweep kick). But C8's attack chain cycled so fast that AOE almost would have been redundant!

"Where's Cyberman 8? Oh... that other group over there, with the bodies flying out of it. That must be him."

I have two "modes" socially when playing C8. I'm chatty and talk when out of combat. But IN combat, you almost never see me "say" anything. That's because I'm TOO BUSY keeping up with C8's attack chain!

And then things started to get NUTS... The Judgement power Vorpal Core was an AOE cone attack that didn't need to be targeted specifically. A very WIDE AOE cone in front and extreme damage to everything in that cone. EVERYTHING. And the visual effect just RULED - C8 simply VANISHES, and you see ghostly images of him briefly attacking ALL the targets out ahead simultaneusly before all the images zip back and coalesce as he reappears! VERY speedster/Flash-like! 

And lastly, the new Hybrid slot added even more - the more enemies that surrounded him, the more his defense and resistance went UP!

Not for nothing did I include Burly Brawl from The Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91OqOyPjMw

--as part of C8's music list when on a TF. ^_^

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:15 PM »
Okay - sure. Martial Arts is mainly a Single Target damage set with only one PBAOE (Dragons Tail sweep kick). But C8's attack chain cycled so fast that AOE almost would have been redundant!

"Where's Cyberman 8? Oh... that other group over there, with the bodies flying out of it. That must be him."

LOL....You HAD to have martial arts on 8th Man to be true.

thanks for the link, maybe I'll look up 8thMan After DVD, I never saw that cartoon, discovered it on youtube.

Power Play

• Minion
  • Liberty Eagle-Virtue/Power Play-Guardian
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:51 AM »

Although I've been playing on Virtue the past seven years, my first character (and my first level 50) was Power Play, my Sci En/En blaster on Guardian.  I had transferred him back to Guardian from Virtue a few weeks ago.  Using the exploit someone posted, I was able to use a Wentworth teleporter and a line of text in the text entry field to get him to the real Galaxy City, where first appeared out of the tutorial, my first day in the game.  I even had him back in his original gray and black costume, but he was having none of that and demanded to be back in his green and black.

He was going to go out the way he came in, at the base of the steps, looking up at FC headquarters.  At the last minute, he wanted to do something different.  I swear, it wasn't MY idea!  He was a level 50, not some rookie.  He was a Hero of the City, and there was Brawler's place sitting empty.  What would happen if some new hero came along and had no one to help him survive and train him?  So, Power Play stepped up to do the job...where he will forever remain in my mind and my heart, on duty for any new heroes who come along.

I can see in my mind, on some parallel Earth very much like ours, just nine years or so behind us due to a time differential.  Some guys are getting together to create this new MMORPG called City of Heroes.  One of them says, I have this hero who would be perfect as the trainer in Galaxy City.  He's an energy blaster and I call him Power Play.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »
Well done yourself sir. *salute*