Author Topic: From COH to CO: Proportion Sliders, Templates, and Tips  (Read 41096 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
From COH to CO: Proportion Sliders, Templates, and Tips
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »
This is an aggregate of posts that I put together originally for my Supergroup: The Legendary. This is compiled all into one post here.

WARNING: BIG BLOCKS OF TEXT AND LOTS OF IMAGES

I have played Champions Online off and on since its launch. While I never thought of it as any sort of replacement for City of Heroes, I thought of it as a decent change of pace that did some things worse and some things better. It took me a while to get a handle on the costume creator. But once I did, I realized it did indeed have many innovations which COH lacked.

When the announcement of COH closure came, my SG almost immediately turned to CO as the next game we would mostly meet in after Nov 30th. Now I knew that people would have trouble recreating their characters from COH in CO, so I did some digging around and asking for some help on the official CO forums. Specifically I wanted help coming up with a way to provide templates that re-created (as closely as possible) the standard proportions we are familiar with in COH. The default character proportions of the CO builder are what turn many people off. And it's VERY easy to wander into "Uncanny valley" territory since the proportion sliders are allowed to go to more extremes than COH ever did.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Character costume saves are done similarly to CoH in the creator, but are stored in a radically different fashion. There is no "Costumes" file in the game folder. Instead the costume file is saved as a JPEG picture file and is stored in the same place as your screenshot folder. (See below) It has all the costume data embedded into it. These JPEGS are easy to find. They will have a picture of the costume in question on a small JPEG picture that looks like a "1st Issue" Comic book cover with CHAMPIONS emblazoned on the top. If you have many of these, they'll tend to group together.

As far as building characters go, I remembered there were a couple of people on the CO forums that were good at building templates.

So what I thought was:  How about I commission some templates made that more closely resemble the proportions of the character templates that City of Heroes provides you? You know - the basics, before you start tweaking with the sliders.

So, in City of Heroes, you have -

Male / Female / Huge

And although you have full control of the sliders, the game does provide you with some basic ideas. Within each gender category are basic settings -

Slim
Average
Athletic
Heavy

So I made screengrabs of the City of Heroes character builder at the basic proportions setting window.
I did this for all the type, making front, side and rear turnarounds for the CO forum to look at. 

And asked in my post if someone could make CO templates based on those.

Bluhman posted later in the forum with the following:

Males

Slim:

Average:

Athletic:

Heavy:

Females

Slim

Average

Athletic

Heavy (This is one physique that Champions just can't do unfortunately.)

Huges

Slim

Average

Athletic

Heavy

A few comparisons/observations made between CoX and CO characters (as explained from the perspective of CoX):

CO characters have comparatively much longer arms compared to CoX. Whereas a CO character's closed fist will likely reach about halfway down the thigh, CoX only reaches around the top of the leg/lower groin area.

CO Characters also have very large hands and feet. Especially with feet, which have to be driven entirely down the slider to resemble anything from CoX.

Related to that, CoX legs are more evenly sized as they go down the leg. In comparison, CO legs are much more curved. The same probably applies for arms, but if it does, it's not nearly as noticeable.

The one thing that is completely unchangeable between the two games: The neck area of CO characters is much more curved. CoX characters (particularly males) have a much flatter shoulder line in comparison. There pretty much is nothing I can do about that.

To use the above templates:

Copy the jpeg images found at the above set of links into your Champions Online screenshot folder.

Should look something like:

C > Program Files > Champions Online > Live > screenshots

If you're like me and acquired Champions through steam it will be this:

C > Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > champions online > Champions Online > Live > screenshots

Remember - you might have 2 different Program Files folders if you're running certain types of windows boxes that use 64 bit. Look in both if you're not seeing it.

Then go in-game and go to a tailor and open up the character creator (or create a new character). At the bottom of the character creator are buttons that say "Save" and "Load" much like what COH has.

Click load and you'll get a subscreen with a list. Find the above template images and call it up.

Now instead of the game's default proportions. You can have something closer to CIty of Heroes to start with (in theory).

Here's a few extra templates that aren't based on COX but that you may find useful nonetheless:

Templates
Young Adult/Average - For the hero with a less-than-stellar physique. Good for agile heroes, young heroes, and citizen forms.

Child - Adapted from Smackwell's child templates from like 2 years back. Slight tweaks included, such as more realistic waist-hip ratios and whatnot.

Fatty - For the hero with a much less-than-stellar physique. Note that the female version of this one is highly experimental and I don't find it satisfactory.

Paragon - Tall, well-muscled, but still of a fairly balanced proportion. Good for the archtypical hero with super strength.

Androgynous - Female skeleton, more masculine proportions. Use it to create... Something.

Strongman - Kind of like the paragon, but with arms like hams.

Dwarf - If you want to play a comparatively short person from a fantasy realm, this should provide a worthy starting spot.

A late addition to the above referenced thread was a "Petite Female"

I hope this helps you out in your character building.

Next: Faces and facial slider guides.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: From COH to CO: Proportion Sliders, Templates, and Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
Another update from the proportions thread in the Champions forums.

The following are guides to face slider positions that get as close to CoX proportions as the CO editor will allow. You guys may find these to be very useful in combination with the body templates above.

Spacedazee posted:
Face Shapes are done. I did my best. Some of the faces feel like they have minor differences, but the differences are there. There are some shapes to the face that just couldn't be done exactly, so I hope you all are happy with what IS there. I will be trying my hand at the overlays/skins at some point, but there are so many.

I'm posting pictures that show the sliders so that way these can be used with body templates. I used the aggressive Eyebrows on the men. I also didn't adjust the head size to any given body shape/size so those will need to be adjusted accordingly. The pictures are on the large size.

NOTES: As pointed out above, the differences appear to be minor. But give them hair, change the eyebrows to suit taste, and add a true skin tone and you really do start to see differences. Make-up options on females also tend to help differentiate faces. Also note that changing the base expression of a character (courageous, grim, pleasant, neutral, etc) really makes a difference as well.

Male

Average 1

Average 2

Average 3

Brute

Chiseled

Intellectual

Square

Strong

Thin

Youthful

Female

Average 1

Average 2

Average 3

Average 4

Intellectual

Square

Strong

Thin

Youthful

I hope this helps make things easier to get a handle on in creating your characters!

EDIT: 7/27/17 Copied all images over to imgur and updated links. Photobucket needs to go die in a fire.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:36:49 PM by Atlantea »

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
Darn photobucket blocked at work.....
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
I wanted to bump this because it's been down at the bottom of the list for awhile. I'd like to get some opinions on what has been put together here and whether it's useful enough to warrant a sticky.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »
I think it is. In fact, before I even clicked to read it, I thought, "That thread really needs a sticky, too."

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
Definitely a help. This is the main problem for COXers and it deserves a sticky.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Rocket-Cat

• Underling
  • Furious Fighters from a Fuzzy Dimension
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
This was a really helpful tutorial for proportioning CO characters to create more CoX-style characters.  I never even thought of the characters-saved-as-JPGs as a way to share templates.  Great work!
Formerly @Daggerjack

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I like it. It is one of the main problems I have. Now if we can just get enough low level content to make alting worth while. I can do the same string of missions a few times but I gotta have some variety.

Foundry could help with that, IF it grants XP.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Adipup

• Underling
  • interests include: dying and being dead
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »
i don't know if this is relevant to the topic, but to get a more blatantly muscular/heavier female character, make the body mass slider, arm slider, bicep slider, forearm slider and waist slider all maximum. unfortunately, nothing can be done about the pinched hourglass shape (except maybe hiding it with a corset or armour of some sort)

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 02:50:55 AM »
Personal crime computer hotkey.

/bind N "genbuttonclick Hud_Minimap_Socratesbutton"

RP option. You'll talk on the headset while contacting SOCRATES.

/bind N "genbuttonclick Hud_Minimap_Socratesbutton$$ em talkheadset"

Players with Xbox 360 controllers can rapidly press A to reach a map select dialog and get out of their instance.
Spess

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
I come in every few months to check on this to see if the images still work.

Crap. I think Photobucket just flat WANTS to fail as a business.

I needed an excuse to move/remove the images I had over there anyway since I heard about their idiotic decision. Well - I'm moving/copying stuff to Imgur for now.

I'll update with an edit to this post when I'm done.

7/27/17 Update:  Fixed the Face Templates. But so far the body templates are still broken. Bluhman apparently deleted his entire Photobucket album. (Not that I blame him)  Problem is that I had directly linked the images from there instead of creating my own copies. I THINK I still have the template jpegs in my screenshot folder - haven't played CO in months if not over a year. So I'll have to hunt those down. I can copy/upload and post those directly when I get them.

PS: Photobucket needs to go die in a fire.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:42:00 PM by Atlantea »