Author Topic: Alert the Colbert Nation (We need a Colbert SuperNation TV-Ready Webpage!)  (Read 65030 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Alert the Colbert Nation (We need a Colbert SuperNation TV-Ready Webpage!)
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
I would LOVE that Lily, if you are fine with that.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
Web design was my first "career", back before we lived in a world where planes fly into buildings.

I guess they just open a browser and go to websites on that show? If it's just a splash screen, my gut says to do it as an adobe pdf instead of a webpage. And if not a pdf, a single large image with click-able "image map" sections for the links? I don't think we need to go crazy with html here.

I'm getting a classic "Aliens Destroy City" front page of a newspaper vibe.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
"We need a BIG graphic with Evil NCSoft crushing the Colbert SuperNation beneath its feet, and maybe bashing the top of the Atlas park dome (and the FLAG!) over with its fist.  I'd say NCSoft as a Faceless Giant Corporate goon in a suit with an NCSOFT chest badge.

Title over the graphic: EVIL KOREAN CORPORATION DESTROYS COLBERT SUPERNATION!

Text under the graphic: On Dec 1, NCSoft, a Korean gaming corporation, unilaterally shut down the most popular superhero game in the world, City of Heroes, destroying in one blow thousands of characters, including the Colbert SuperNation.  For more information click HERE."

Hmm... tall order. Okay, I'll take a shot.

I don't watch Colbert, so what's the "Colbert SuperNation" look like?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:25:28 PM by Colette »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Faceless corporate goon... so normal business suit... how about a pitch black ethereal wispy smoke forming the head, with burning eyes peering out of it?

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
Okay Misty, consider this a rough draft. Send feedback my way.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »
Also working on something.  Using Godzilla in mine, though.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »
More the merrier!

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
Colette, did you get that from a screenshot or did you cap it from a demo? You might want to use the zombie version of the sky lighting. It's a lot more sinister and hints at a burning city.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
Screenshot. Send a link to a zombie version? Or I could adjust the tint. This is just a rough.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:13:20 PM by Colette »

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »
Screenshot. Send a link to a zombie version? Or I could adjust the tint. This is just a rough.

I'll get something from the angle you used. And the alternate dimension destroyed Atlas map too just for the heck of it. You're using photoshop, right?

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »
Awesomesauce!

Post links to where these are as soon as you feel ready! 
I guess they just open a browser and go to websites on that show? If it's just a splash screen, my gut says to do it as an adobe pdf instead of a webpage. And if not a pdf, a single large image with click-able "image map" sections for the links? I don't think we need to go crazy with html here.
I have no personal knowledge of how much or how little research they might do.  Websurfing for stuff your boss might want to talk about On Air is probably dependent on individual taste and how much free time you might have allocated to it.  So more complex might catch their attention, or might be wasted if the week has a lot of other stories already in motion.

We are working against the holidays, which have some traditional themes and memes of their own, but there isn't much else going on in politics to distract them either.  Mostly since y'all are doing this on your spare time, and I have no idea how much work it is as I only really worked hardware side on computers, anything you can give time to is great.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
Okay yeah, so um, if this is going to be a racist anti Korean thing and not an anti evil corporation thing, I'm out.  I'm using Godzilla 'cause I couldn't find a good faceless big bad corporate  graphic thing.  I'm also not real keen on the whole "Evil KOREAN Corporation" thing. Evil Foreign Corporation fine.

But you can't really use Psy because he is recognizable as identifiably Korean.  Also, isn't he kind of anti everything NCSoft represents? 

Another note... the burning American flag.... gonna piss people off.  Also, it makes it a nationalistic thing, not a corporation vs. the little guy thing.

If that's what y'all are going for specifically- Evil Koreans vs. Americans, I'm just going to back away slowly from this whole project and respectfully let you all figure it out for yourself.

I was thinking this was a NCSoft vs. Colbert's Supergroup (aka the little guy).

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »
"You're using photoshop, right?"

Picture Publisher. BMPs are fine. You still have my e-mail, right?

(How did I end up doing art? I'm an actor. I can't do much more than cut-and-paste.)

"...if this is going to be a racist anti Korean thing and not an anti evil corporation thing, I'm out."

Lily... first, have you actually seen The Colbert Report? It makes fun of nationalist stupidity by going over-the-top with it. My image is made for that comedy. I hope you don't think I'm really like that! And second... get your own done -- your way -- and don't worry about what I'm doing! Yeesh!

Also this: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/music/psy-apologises-for-antiamerican-rap-about-killing-soldiers-20121209-2b3e6.html He's made himself a valid tongue-firmly-in-cheek target.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:20 PM »
It's not really any more racist that the whole "Axis of Evil" rhetoric that we got from former US President Bush. We're shooting for Colbert's on-air persona having a fuzzy understanding, at best, so he would be likely to muddle North and South Korea.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
I haven't seen it, so yeah, I don't have the context.

The reason I'm worried about it is because I'm the one making the web page where the image is going to go.

I'm thinking maybe it's best if I didn't, because I obviously don't understand the whole thing not having seen the show.  I'm pretty uncomfortable with where this is going, not having the context to understand it. I've just never had cable, so I've never seen the show.

Maybe Tim can make the page?

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »
I'll still post up my image when I'm done with it in case you all want to use it on the page.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
Absolutely understandable. I don't think anyone here has asked anyone to step outside their comfort zone, if they're not ready to. Lord knows, if I had the skills, I'd be working on something, too.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
All this time I thought these two variants of Atlas Park lined up with each other. Sadly, turns out they don't. Well, the war walls do, and the Atlas statue does, but for some reason the city hall scale is off. Oh well.

Here's both versions. Regular AP under red sky (that's as far out as I can go without the Atlas statue getting in the way) and the demolished one.

http://www.fragglerockforever.com/CoX/atlasRed.bmp

http://www.fragglerockforever.com/CoX/atlasDead.bmp

And if anyone wants to take their own screencaps:

http://www.fragglerockforever.com/CoX/redAtlas.cohdemo

http://www.fragglerockforever.com/CoX/deadAtlas.cohdemo (if the smoke is a problem, minimize your particle settings)

Mandrake

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »
Oh good grief. Ok I'll make the web page.

Any ideas on the website address? I don't mind paying the $15 or less for a domain name - let's get this done right. I'll use wix or something so we can get it hammered out quick and look nice.

www.ncsoftmustburninhell.com ... etc... lol

c'mon - gimme some ideas and I'll see if I can snag it.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
I have been meaning... to up the ante with my Save City of Zero Wing video, and take it up to eleven by redrawing some sprites with Statesman as the Captain (already has blue shirt), or Tae Jin Kim (or whatever his name, NCSoft's CEO) as Cats. Plus make a flying titan Network logo fly in the closing take (and remove the petition and bad twitter link at the end). If I had the time, also make a 8-bit version of a City of Heroes music in the same instruments (may if I can find a "mario music"-like game rom for the genesis), so, what do you think, all ? Who could help me ? I'm able to hand out simple assignments for those who want to give it a try, one sprite/thing at a time, and I'm going to make the final cut (again, in PowerPoint !!).
Yeeessss....