Author Topic: So, sound still broken in demoplay?  (Read 5013 times)

themamboman

• Lieutenant
So, sound still broken in demoplay?
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:40:00 AM »
I do recall sound working way back around i12 or so, but not with the latest ones (i23 and i24beta).

Was there any resolution to this problem?

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
Re: So, sound still broken in demoplay?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:28 AM »
Nope, unfortunately.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
It's been broken at least since i17, apparently.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:12:53 AM »
Works in i17, which is what I use when I feel the need for sound. Not sure if it works in i18, which I suppose could be tested by picking up Going Rogue and installing that. Someone with a metric crapton of clients, like Codewalker, could probably narrow it down to where it stopped working (not that it's a pressing matter).

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
I wonder if the problem is just in the cityofheroes.exe file or something else?  Would someone that has an i17 client be able to make just that exe available to download somewhere?

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:58:03 AM »
themamboman, I was thinking the same thing and gave it a try--threw a copy of the test i17 or i18? client (Checksum calls it Build "1800.201006040036.8T") I got sound from into the i24 folder (saving the i24 exe to another folder first, of course). It wouldn't even start until I also copied over DFengine.dll and NXcooking.dll. With those added to the i24 folder, a shortcut to my i17/i24 hybrid gave me the old blue loadscreen, a promising sign, but then just vanished. I'm wondering if the checksum could be edited to make this multi-issue chimera client run (wondering this as a guy whose last computer class was about 25 years ago). I also have to wonder if the fact that these files are missing right about the time of the graphics overhaul means that their exclusion and/or the overhaul broke sound playback in demos.

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »
themamboman, I was thinking the same thing and gave it a try--threw a copy of the test i17 or i18? client (Checksum calls it Build "1800.201006040036.8T") I got sound from into the i24 folder (saving the i24 exe to another folder first, of course). It wouldn't even start until I also copied over DFengine.dll and NXcooking.dll. With those added to the i24 folder, a shortcut to my i17/i24 hybrid gave me the old blue loadscreen, a promising sign, but then just vanished. I'm wondering if the checksum could be edited to make this multi-issue chimera client run (wondering this as a guy whose last computer class was about 25 years ago). I also have to wonder if the fact that these files are missing right about the time of the graphics overhaul means that their exclusion and/or the overhaul broke sound playback in demos.

LMAO, reading this gave me a headache and made me jealous of your tech know how at the same time Hotaru. I had been wondering about the sound playback as well and thought there may be a way to just get the sound files somehow and try to align them with a video during the video editing after the fact.

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »
T.A, if I actually knew what I was talking about, I might be able to help fix it. Unfortunately, all I can do is guess.

For sound to match your movies, I suppose you could run the same demo twice--once with the earlier sound client to get the noises (at least, the ones that were in game then), then run it again with i23/i24 to get your updated graphics of maps, costumes parts, what-have-you. Slapping the sound from the first onto the graphics of the second--that's a thing now, isn't it?

Another workaround I was wondering about was if you could throw all the i24 piggs into the data folder for the earlier build with sound to have your cake and eat it to.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »
Another workaround I was wondering about was if you could throw all the i24 piggs into the data folder for the earlier build with sound to have your cake and eat it to.

The .bin formats changed often from issue to issue -- the exe has to come from a relative similar version as bin.pigg or it will crash.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 01:55:19 AM »
Just speculation here, but I remember when the little "beep" from a new teamchat entry was audible during loading screens. Then, sometime around i18, there was a terrible sound-looping bug that got louder and louder during loading screens. Then they "fixed" that, I believe, by being lazy and just muting sound (when not recieving data from the servers, or something of that nature). I believe they muted the sound rather than fix the looping bug because I no longer got the teamchat "beeps" either.

If I'm right, it may be the first step to figuring out how to get sound back. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know  :D
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men