Author Topic: I thought these should be shared.  (Read 3152 times)

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
I thought these should be shared.
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
When it was announced that the official forums would be going down as well... I had to grab these... I can't remember now who the OP was, but it was a LONG time ago.  From time to time the threads would be referenced on the Defender boards.  So, I saved them...because they are imho wonderful.  I'll post the first, and if you want to see more of them, let me know.

In the beginning:
In the beginning the servers were shapeless and without form. Then Statesman moved across the servers and created the City, and he filled the City with villains to be defeated, challenges to be met, and Skuls to be hunted, and he saw that it was good.
Villains, challenges and Skuls will soon lose their appeal if you have nobody to share them with, so Statesman next brought forth his 5 children, Blaster, Controller, Scrapper, Tank and Defender.

To Blaster he gave great strength but a jaw of glass.
To Controller he gave the power to silence and still her foes and allies to aid her, but little strength of her own.
To Scrapper he gave great strength and great toughness, but a short reach so he would not be over mighty.
To Tank he gave even greater toughness yet but made him slow and short of reach.
To Defender he gave the greatest gifts giving her great speed, great reach, much strength, and the ability to avoid harm.

Then Statesman spoke to Defender saying, "I have given you these gifts so that you may watch over the others for that one keeps dying, that one has been running around in circles for ages now, and those two have been fighting the same motionless Skul for 10 minutes." Defender looked over those she was tasked to protect and replied to Statesman saying, "Do I have to?".

Statesman was angered and thundered a curse upon Defender for her impudence, "While you have a great many gifts, the greatest shall be of more use to others than they are to you!" And so it is to this day that the children of Defender have many gifts they cannot use alone so that they, from time to time, "have to".

----

One day Defender grew hungry for experience, but did not want to labor herself, so she sought out Scrapper and said, "Won't you join me on a team so that we may both gain more and faster experience?" Always eager for more foes Scrapper readily agreed and they ventured forth. Whenever they reached a foe, Scrapper would rush up to fight while Defender would stand behind and idly watch. After a while, Scrapper became aware of this and asked, "Why do you not join me in the fight?" Defender reached out with the least of her powers and removed some minor harm Scrapper had taken and said, "Why Scrapper! I stand back here and heal you, for if I did not you would surely die!" Scrapper thanked Defender for her kindly vigilance on his behalf and they continued on. In this way Defender gained her experience while Scrapper did all the work and thanked Defender for the privilege!

Over the course of time Defender had many children. The eldest where the powerful and conceited Storm and his mild and giving twin sister Empathy. Then came Radia and Darkity who knew much of their mothers gifts for weakening a foe. Kin, like her older sister Empathy, was a giving sort, perhaps with less generosity, but with more of her mother’s speed and strength. Young Trick was a tinker who made toys to copy his mother;s powers, while Sonic and Bubbles both inherited talents for enshrouding a ally with a protective grace.

These elder children in turn had children of their own until Defender was graced with many grandchildren and great grandchildren to help watch over the progeny of her siblings.
It came to pass that one of these later generations decided to learn which of the branches of Defenders children was the greatest. So he went in turn to his Grandfathers, Grandmothers, Grandaunts and Granduncles to ask.
Empathy answered, "Why my children of course, because we make those under our care more powerful than any hero alone."
Storm answered, "You have to ask who is most powerful?!" And swept the child from his home with a powerful wind.
Kin answered, "My charges are as safe as Empathy's and move twice as fast! My children are clearly the strongest."
Bubbles answered, "Protected by my children you need fear no harm, what could be more powerful than that!". Listening nearby Sonic retorted, "Mine shall do that and weaken the foes around you, clearly I and my children are more powerful."
Radia and Darkity both fell to squabbling about the most effective way to weaken a foe, but both agreed this was the strongest of Defender’s gifts.
Trick laughed and said, "Show me what another can do that I cannot!" The child replied, "Heal?" So Trick shot him with a sharp arrow and the child fled.
Confused and frustrated the child sought Defender herself and asked, "Great Mother, which of your children is strongest?" Defender chuckled and laid before the child some fruit she had in a nearby bowl and said, "Which of these fruit is greatest my child?". The child thought and answered, "Well watermelon is cooling on a hot day, and orange will help ward off illness. Apple is sweet and filling, but grapes are jucier and make heady wine. I could not say. What do you say?". Defender then took the fruit and chopped them, mixed them together in a bowl and handed it to the child saying, "That my child, is wisdom."

Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Triplash

• Elite Boss
Re: I thought these should be shared.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:58:06 PM »
*bites lip*

*snickers*

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

That was awesome! ;D

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »
"Do I have to?"

GOLD!  8)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
I can't remember now who the OP was, but it was a LONG time ago. 

That's Jock Tamson.

Edited to add a link:  Paragonwiki on Fruit Salad

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
All defender task forces *always* steamrolled.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
That's Jock Tamson.

Edited to add a link:  Paragonwiki on Fruit Salad

Thank you! You can haz gold star!  :)

And... Just Cause, another one of Jock's Stories:

It is said that Statesman's favorite son was Tank, who was most like him. While Tank received fewer gifts than his sister Defender, those he did receive he received in abundance. Tank could stand amidst a sea of his foes and take no harm and yet hold their rapt attention while he slowly whittled them away.
One day Tank set out to test the limits of his powers. So he sought out the Drek who has famed for his numerous children. The children of the Drek were so kind to the children of Statesman as to stand back up once defeated so that they could be fought again, and were much valued for this.
Tank set about gathering about him all the children of the Drek, and indeed they came about him in a great throng, and yet could do him no harm.
In time Tank's brother Blaster wandered by to see what his brother was doing. Seeing his brother lost in a sea of foes, Blaster called out, "Brother Tank! Do you need help?" Tank replied "No. I shall put these in a box, just set them on fire and I shall bring more." So Tank piled many of the children of Drek into a box he had found and went to seek more, while Blaster amused himself setting them on fire.
In time Blaster's sister Defender wandered by to see what her brothers were doing. Seeing her brother lost in a sea of foes, Defender called out, "Brother Tank! Do you need help?" Tank replied, "No, I am putting these in a box so brother Blaster may set them on fire. Help him do it faster." Amused by the game Defender reached out her gifts to strengthen and speed her brother, who once more set it on fire, laughing to himself.
In time Defender's sister Controller wandered by to see what her siblings were doing. Seeing her brother lost in a sea of foes, Controller called out, "Brother Tank! Do you need help?" Tank replied, "No, I am putting these in a box so brother Blaster may set them on fire while sister Defender aids his strength and speed. Go help your sister." Amused, Controller reached out her pale imitations of her sisters gifts to aid her in her task, while Blaster once more set the box on fire, laughing to himself.
In time Controller's brother Scrapper wandered by to see what his siblings were doing. Seeing his brother lost in a sea of foes, Scrapper called out, "Brother Tank! Do you need help?" Tank replied, "No." So Scrapper amused himself by poking at the box while his brother set it once more on fire.
In time Statesman noticed his City was growing strangely quiet, and the challenges he had created for his children going unmet. So Statesman set out to see what his offspring were doing. Seeing his beloved son in a sea of foes, while his sibling sat playing with a box laughing inanely, Statesman called out, "Son Tank! Do you need help?" Tank replied, "No...", and so Statesman took half the power from each of his children and replied: "You do now!"

Shadow Witch

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
 :-X

omg thanks for the cheer

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
YeGhods yes MORE!
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:25 PM »

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »
The City you see about you is beautiful, but it is only a fraction of the whole grandeur of Statesman's creation for it is but one aspect of the 11 fold nature of the City as it crosses the Servers. The Servers in turn hang like a row of dew drops on the vast stretch of the Web that is the Universe. For the universe in which the Servers exist is a web, and on a web there are spiders...

One day a Spider came to the City, and seeing what Statesman had created for himself and his children it grew jealous and wished to own the City for itself. So the Spider took a mirror and put in a place where beautiful mermaids sang, and behind this mirror he wove a web.
The first of Statesman's children to find the mirror was Scrapper. Startled by his own reflection, Scrapper did what Scrapper does in these situations, and struck it with a swift blow, cracking the mirror. When he saw what he had done, Scrapper laughed at his own folly and went to tell his siblings of the mirror. Together they came and stood to look into this curious thing. The cracked mirror twisted and blended their reflections. Tanker's reflection mingled with his brother Scrapper's while the crack appeared to twist his face as if in range. Defender and Controller's reflections mingled with that of their brother Blaster. Blaster's reflection split, mingling with his brother Scrapper's in a way that made them both seem thin a gaunt, while fracturing into a multitude of images near where it mingled with his sisters. Disturbed by this strangeness, the Children of Statesman shied away from it, and went to seek more familiar things.

Now images and webs both have power to trap, and as the Children of Statesman looked into the mirror some of their essence was caught in the Spider's web. The Spider took this essence and from it spun his own children. Brute from the rage twisted reflection of Scrapper and Tank. The twin sisters Corrupter and Dominator from the mingled image of Defender, Controller and Blaster. Stalker from the twisted and gaunt reflections of Blaster and Scrapper. Mastermind for the multitudinous reflections of Blaster and his sisters. The Spider then gathered together his children, these twisted and cracked reflections of what Statesman had wrought, and commanded them to win the City for their creator.
They moved swiftly and attacked without warning, finding each of the siblings alone. Stalker, moving in shadows, struck down Defender first before she had chance to react. Dominator held Blaster with her power so he could not resist her, and soon brought him low. Corrupter weakened Tank's defenses with her reflections of Defenders gifts and felled him with bolts such as her brother Blaster might use. Mastermind overwhelmed Scrapper with the creatures he could command, for Scrapper could face but one at a time. Brute sought Controller, but could not find her.
Hiding in fear Controller listened to the laments of her sibling's spirits. Defender, always loudest in complaint, felt she had been particularly ill treated, but it is Defender's gift also to find solutions. "Sister", said Defender, "take of my spirit as I once took of our brother Blaster's and you can rouse us all!" Defender moved part of her spirit into Controller, who then called her siblings to her and breathed life back into them.

"Listen my siblings", spoke Defender, and so saying handed her sister an arrow. "Break that arrow sister", said Defender, and Controller easily did so. Defender then took a bundle of arrows, handed it to Controller and said, "Now break these". Truly while the arrows were tied together, Controller could not break them. Defender than spoke earnestly to her siblings, "Alone we fell easily. Stand together and share our power, and we are greater than this evil!"

The siblings who had not yet shared their spirits now did so. Tank gave some of his spirit to Scrapper who in turn gave some of his to Blaster. Controller gave some of her spirit to Blaster and Blaster, looked at his sister meaningfully. And Defender smiled.
The battle that followed was long and great. It shattered the earth and rended the very walls of the City. But as Defender had said, while the Children of Statesman stood together, they were greater than the Children of the Spider, and were in time victorious. The Spider and his children fled though a gap in the walls of the City far out into the ocean, and were never seen again in the City. While their children and their children's children may from time to time assault its walls, the City belongs now, and forever, to the Children of Statesman.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
The Children of Statesman prospered and multiplied in his City until the streets teemed with the descendants of Blaster, Controller, Defender, Scrapper and Tank, and Atlas Park rang with their calls. And so the time came, as it need must, for the Great Progenitors to leave the City so that their children would not forever seem small in their great shadows. Each, before parting, wished to leave their children with a gift by which they would be remembered. So it was that they called their families togther...

Blaster spoke to his children saying, "My children, I must leave you now and cross over the ocean. I leave you with this: So that you know that my spirit is always with you, when your strength wanes and you stand on your last footing I will lend you my strength so that you may strike down your foes with your last breath." A grandchild of Blaster stood forth and spoke, "But Great Father, you will only lend us your aid when we are near death?" Blaster laughed long and deep and answered, "My child, if you are truly a child of mine, you will find yourself there often!"

Controller spoke to her children saying, "My children, I must leave you now and cross over the ocean. I leave you with this gift: So that you know that my spirit is always with you, when your foe is helpless in your grip, I will lend my own strength to your blows that you may strike down those you have subdued." A grandchild of Controller stood forth and spoke, "But Great Mother, is not our role to aid our siblings by subduing their foes. Not to surplant the Children of Blaster?" Controller laughed and replied, "My child, the children of Blaster and Scrapper will soon grow bored if you never allow them a fight!"

Scrapper spoke to his children saying, "Kids, I must leave you now and cross over the water, but before I go: So that you know that my spirit is always with you, I will from time to time lend you my strength, doubling your own!" A son of Scrapper stood forth and spoke saying, "Thanks Dad". Scrapper smiled and replied,"Good on ya Reg! I don't care what Statespop says, I love ya!"

Tank spoke to his children saying, "My children, I must travel now over the ocean and leave the City to your keeping. Before I go, I leave you with this: So that you may know that my spirit is always with you, while you engage a foe I shall see that he does not flee from you." A grandchild of Tanks stood forth and said, "Great Father, does this mean I need no longer waste all my breath taunting my foes" Tank laughed and answered, "It may at that my daughter, but I don't know if the others will ever believe it!"

Defender spoke to her children saying, "My children, I leave you now to travel over the ocean so that you may grow without me overshadowing you. Before I go, I leave you with this: So that you know that my spirit is with you in your darkest hour, when you are exhausted and your allies near defeat, I will lend you a small part of my vigor." A grandchild of Defender stood forth and complained thus, "Great Mother, If I do my work well my allies are never anywhere near defeat! Scrapper and Controller have given their children far greater gifts, why do you give us so little?!" Defender looked sternly and answered, "You are arrogant, impudent, and ungrateful!" Then smiled and added, "Truly you are my daughter. Never change that, it shows you care about what you do. Why do I give so little? What little I give, is what little you need. I need not give much for you are MY children and you are strong!"

Defender no longer walks these streets, my brothers and sisters, but her spirit is with us. She may not need to lend us her aid often, but why should she need to. We are the Children of Defender and we are strong.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
Over time the First Children of Defender grew older and wiser, but as is it will, the City of their childhood changed and filled with younger generations. In this way much of the City became strange and foreign to them. As you grow old, my beloved child, you will see for yourself how this is so. Perhaps the strangest place to them, in this world both new and old, was the lands around the deep pit that lies near Atlas Park. This land was home to a tribe known as the Pugs, who had ways and language all their own.

It came to pass that one day the youngest of Defender's First Children, Trick, journeyed past this land, where he was accosted by a Pug. "Are you Healer?", asked the Pug. "I am Trick?", Trick answered. "Lawl" said the Pug in his own strange language, then, "Do you heal? We need help to defeat a great monster of fire and ice." Trick replied, "I do not heal, but if you need help..." The Pug answered is his own language saying, "EhnEhm. KayKay. Tanks" then ran off to accost another passing hero. Trick supposed the Pug had behave politely in its own way, but he felt irritated and prideful at it's behavior. So Trick resolved to journey into the Land of the Pit to see this great monster for himself.

Near the mouth of the pit Trick came upon a large throng of Pugs surrounding a young Child of Empathy. She sat reclining like a Queen and nibbled on a bowl of grapes. Trick fought his way through the crowd to ask the Child of Empathy what manner of strangeness was at work here. Reaching near the spot where she reclined he called out, "Child! Why do the Pugs crowd around you so and feed you grapes?" Aitchelar, for that was her name, answered, "They love me because I am their healer and they could not face the great demon of this land without me." Trick's pride swelled within him and he spoke, perhaps unjustly, with anger in his voice. "Do you think this is what a Child of Defender is meant to be? Sitting here eating only grapes and following Pugs around to heal them? You do not need 'heals' to defeat this monster of fire and ice!" Aitchelar laughed, for Trick seemed a foolish tempermental old man to her, and the Pugs mocked him saying "lawl" and calling him "nube". "So be it!", thundered Trick, "I go to slay this monster. Who will come with me?!" The throng laughed all the harder, but one young girl child of the Pugs stepped forward and said, "I will come". So it was that Trick and a Pug Girl ventured out together to slay the Monster of Fire and Ice.

The girl led Trick to a cave of ice in which could be heard the laughter of Trolls. Trick strung his bow and crept cautiously forward, the Pug, wide eyed, following behind. As they came upon the first Troll, Trick used his crafty arrows to blind it then freeze it in a block of ice. He noticed the girl cowering in fear nearby and saw that she had a bow, almost new and unused, strapped to her back. "What are you waiting for?", laughed Trick, "You finish this one while I prepare the next!" The girl hesitantly drew her bow. While her aim was poor and her shot weak, blinded and frozen by Trick, the Troll could do little in response. Soon enough she defeated it. They traveled on in this way, the girl growing ever bolder in her use of her bow, and it seemed to Trick that while this young Pug was with him some of the strength of his own youth returned to him. As Defender taught us, the Children of Statesman are strongest when they stand together. By the time they reached the Monster of Fire and Ice, Trick and the Pug Girl were acting as one, and it was soon felled with little harm to either.

They walked together back to the gathering place of the Pugs, and Trick threw the slain monster before them saying, "See, no "Healer" is needed!". "Lawl" said the Pugs and "Ellemayoh", "You had a healer with you!". Trick turned to the girl and saw that, indeed, she did have look of his sister Empathy, and realized why he felt his old strength return when with her. No healing had been needed, but Trick knew now that he would never convince the Pugs of this. Sighing in exasperation he turned to leave. Before he had taken a step, the Pug Girl ran up to him and said, "Great Father, take me with you and teach me!" Trick's face brightened and he tossed the girl some fruit from his pack saying, "Come! You will need food, for we have far to go. I shall show you things you have never seen before!"

So some young Children of Defender go to play with the Pugs, where they are loved for certain things, and some young Pugs join the Children of Defender and see and do more. In this way there is Balance. But always wise old men and women shall grumble and be prideful. In this way there is Tradition.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
Scrapper had three sons, Dark, Essar, and Reg. Of these, his favorite was Reg, and he gave him great gifts. The Children of Scrapper and the Children of Tank will often stand rigid, braced against the might of their foes. It was Reg's gift to bend to their might, but quickly recover and not break. As the thin Reed can survive the storm that fells the mighty Oak, so Reg could survive much that his siblings could not. But remember my child, it is not wise to laugh at the storm.

In his youth, Reg was given much to laughing. He would laugh to himself while meeting challenges alone that would daunt his cousins en masse. He would laugh to himself while felling the greatest foes, then come to the meeting places to brag of his deeds. While his allies in a task struggled to withstand an onslaught, Reg would laugh and run on alone to the next challange that awaited. In this was his undoing.

There was a day when Reg found himself standing with Storm and Tank's daughter Ice against a great force of Thorns. Sighting another mass of their foes standing nearby, Reg laughed and ran off to face them. He noted not the ones that, roused from their slumber, turned not on him, but his friends. Their own numbers reduced and their enemies doubled, Storm and Ice found themselves overwhelmed. Now Storm had been holding back his strength out of respect for his cousin, but now he unleased his full force. The Thorns were thus beaten back and destroyed, but not before Ice fell beneath their weight. As they waited for Ice to recover her strength, she chastised Storm saying, "I have told you before it makes my task harder when you do that!" Reg added his support to Ice saying, "Yeah! Whenever you unleash that Tornado it just brings us trouble!" Reg would have been wise to note the dark cloud that crossed his cousin's face.

From time to time, Statesman would gather his children together to have them show what deeds they could accomplish, and what challanges they could meet. As one such time approached, Storm went in secret to where the shattered Mirror of the Spider lay and gathered from it some of the Spider's webbing. He then took a lowly Skul and using the webbing fashioned a false appearance around it such that it appeared a great and fearsome monster.

As each of the Children of Statesman demonstrated for their creator their deeds great and small, Storm spoke out saying, "Oh Mighty Statesman, Scrapper's son Reg has often told us in the meeting places of the great deeds he accomplishes alone. There is a great and fearsome monster just over there. Why if half of what Reg tells us is true he should be able to fell it without aid!" Now Statesman knows that his children require challenge to thrive and grow, so Storm's claim caused him great concern. "Show us", commanded Statesman. Reg, though sure he would fail, did as he was told.

When the monster was felled in short order with little effort, Reg was too puzzled to laugh. Statesman spoke saying, "My child you have become over mighty. I must take some of your strength so that you will be challenged. I know this will pain you now, but you will thank me in the end." Reg pleaded saying, "No! There is some mistake! I cannot have done this! You are lying when you say this is why you take my strength!" Statesman face clouded and he turned to Scrapper saying, "Your son does not seem to wish to be challenged. You must teach him better."

In time Statesman learned of his mistake, and returned some of Reg's strength to him, but not all of it. Reg does not laugh as often these days. He must pay attention now to the fates of his allies. He needs their support, and this is well. Someday he may yet learn how Storm's gifts work, but that day has not yet come to pass.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
I'll post more after a bit... enjoy!

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
Balance. Balance is important in all things. Imbalance soon leads to destruction, and thus to balance again. Statesman, it is often said, knows his children need challange to thrive and grow. Too little and they will perish from boredom. Too much and they will perish from despair. Balance must be sought. But inertia is another form of death. While there must be balance, their must also be change. The pendulum may always swing about the balance point, but the pendulum does swing.

There is a land in the south of the City noted for its sunny plazas and towering waterfalls. Pleasant though this land is, it is beset at times by a great and powerful Titan. A worthy challange for many heroes. Bold Children of Statesman would summon this beast to face it, almost always they were victorious till it came to seem not the challange it once was. So it was that Statesman took some of the power he had taken from Scrapper's son Reg, and gifted it to the Titan.

One day it came to pass that Radia was travelling through the Land of the Falls when she noted a sad a somber procession marching forth from the place of healing. Radia stopped the leader of the procession, a Child of Blaster, and asked, "Why such despair my child?". The Child of Blaster answered, "I was defeated in battle.." Radia interrupted asking, "This is unusual Child of Blaster?" "I WAS DEFEATED IN BATTLE", came the reply more loudly "And woe is upon us for I have unleashed a great evil. I summoned the Great Titan, as many have done in the past, but the Titan who now lays waste to the south of this land is like none before! Though we assault it in great numbers, it seems to feel not our blows. It seeks me, I go to give myself to it in hope that it will leave us in peace." Radia replied boldly saying, "I shall not let you give way to despair. I shall face this Titan, and together we shall see what can be done!"

Traveling to the south they found the Great Titan, alone an unharmed, surrounded by a multitude of the fallen. All could hear their spirits greatly lamenting the power of this foe who seemed to recover faster than ever they could do it harm. Radia gathered her strength and sought inspiration from within until she glowed with an inner light. Then launched herself, alone and unaided, against the mighty beast. The multitude watched in suprise, for they had spent much time amongst the Pugs, and had not before seen such bold action from a Child of Defender. Radia's movements were truly inspired. Her attacks hit home while the Titans mighty blows could not find her. Assaulted by Radia's unique gifts to weaken her enemies the Titan did what no other had seen it do: It staggered back. "Join me!", Radia called out, and so saying revived those around her adding her own great strength to theirs. Encouraged, all there present rushed to her aid.

The battle was long and difficult. The rewards split amongst so many, were few. None the less, as the Great Titan fell, a fierce joy filled the company. They called out hailing Radia and asking what reward they might offer her. Radia answered saying, "I need no reward except this joyous moment with you, and this one boon: Remember always that great challenges will from time to time be set before us. Despair not! Relish them instead as opportunities for great deeds!" Somewhere, Defender must have smiled. Proud of the wise words of her daughter, and amused that one of her children would chastise others for complaining
Heed Radia's words my friends and relish great challenges as you would relish great power. Both in time must pass. Always there is balance, but the pendulum does swing.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
When the City was young and the Great Progenitors still walked its streets, there was a land at its borders of high mountains and many caves. Within these caves grew the Kora fruit, which has power to give strength to a Child of Stateman. Each day as meal time approached, Defender would send some of her children to these caves to gather fruit. An offering of chopped fruit is still, to this day, considered an honorable offering amongst the Children of Defender. In those distant days when the First Children of Defender were still young, they would compete to be the first to return with the best fruit.

First in these contests was Kin, who was gifted with great speed. Last was dour Darkity, who was slowed by a black sheep she was required to care for in her travels, but that is different tale. In this tale it is Darkity, last and slowest, who is first to make a great discovery. In the deepest part of the deepest cave in the furthest mountain she came upon a wonder. Darkity found two great and shining fruit, one of silver, and one of gold. Resolving this time to be first back, she secured her sheep in a safe place and ran as fast as you could manage towards her home. Wreathed in dark clouds and vapours, she did not escape her brother's notice.
Running towards his sister with all his great speed, Kin saw the two great fruit and desired greatly to take them home himself. So when Darkity came to a narrow bend on a high pass, he reached out with his gifts and greatly increased her speed. Darkity hung, startled, in the air for a moment before Gravity took notice and flung her down. In that instant her brother rushed past and stole the fruit.

Now the game was on.

Pulling herself up from the ground, Darkity reached out with her own gifts and set before Kin a great patch of clinging darkness. Some aura of the fruit must have enhanced her strength for as Kin reached it he came to a sudden stop and fell flat. The fruit arced through the air shining brightly in the City light, and Darkity ran towards them, her arms out stretched. She was almost within reach when Kin freed himself at last. Kin reached out with his gifts again to slow his sister. He too must have gained strength from merely holding the fruit, for his sister was slowed as if time itself had nearly stopped, the fruit balanced gently on her fingertips. Again Kin rushed past and stole the fruit.
Darkity released a clouding darkness as she had done in the past to hide herself and her friends from harm. She hoped that she might obscure her brothers way, and he might trip in the darkness, but again the presence of the golden and silver fruit seemed to greatly enhance her power. A great all consuming darkness spread forth for miles around till all that was visibly was the twin glowing orbs clutched close to Kin's chest. He stopped, unable to see his path before him, but Darkity was daunted by no darkness and it was her who this time rushed past and stole the fruit.

And so the chase went on, one sibling tricking or thwarting the other as their strength grew and grew under the influence of the fruit. Soon they began to discover skills they had never known before. Darkity found the gift to draw strength from the life around her, and to protect herself with dark auras. Kin found mastery of his own strength such that he could focus and conserve it as never before. The contest became a series of ever greater bursts of light and dark until the very mountains about them began to shatter and drift into the Outer Void, and Statesman himself took notice.

Statesman caused a great weariness to come upon the two Children of Defender and they soon fell into a deep slumber, Kin clutching the golden fruit and Darkity the silver. He then took the fruit and set them in sky above the City, where they continue the chase to this very day. In time all would benefit from their invigorating glow. The children Statesman returned to their mother, who was most displeased. For Darkity had lost her sheep.

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
These were never going to be lost. I have all of the post in a blog on the RO forums. So if you're missing any stories (there was a guest writer as well), feel free to check there

http://www.repeat-offenders.net/forum/blog/4-jock-tamson-mythologist/

Shadow Witch

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
OMG yesssssssssssss

big GZ for lvl50+4 in story telling