Author Topic: Project Awakened  (Read 15982 times)

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
Project Awakened
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
So, a game studio local to my area is starting up a kickstarter for a customizeable hero game.

For the first time in a modern AAA action game, you will have the opportunity to completely define your dream videogame character, from abilities to aesthetics, all while playing in an action-packed world that responds to your personal playstyle.

The language they're using reminds me a lot about what I loved about City of Heroes, and I'm really hoping they can pull this off.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
Re: Project Awakened
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
So this is a FPS type game?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »
Looks like a shooter for me just with an costomized character. Yes, I want and need a good character creation, but a little bit of gameplay is important for me too...

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:15 AM »
I don't know all the details about the project and what they might change, but fps/third person shooter is gameplay too.  Infamous made for a pretty good hero game, even though it was playing someone else's hero. 

They mention in the kickstarter wanting to make a lot of powers to use, and the video demonstrates some pushing powers, some kind of flamethrowing power and a tornado power.  There is, yes, quite a bit of gun shooting shown off.  Probably because it's (relatively) easy to do and show off in a prototype, because that's what the engine was built for.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Project Awakened: Closest thing to CoH I've Seen Yet
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened

Check out this kickstarter for the game Project: Awakened. While it is definitely darker and rated M, there is definitely a feeling of CoH here. Super-powers, weapons, and most importantly massive amounts of customization, I've got a good feeling about this :)

Project Awakened is being developed by Phosphor Studios which if I'm correct involves a lot of the same team from Psi Ops which was a pretty solid game. This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Project Awakened: Closest thing to CoH I've Seen Yet
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »
Sounds interesting.  And the best part is it seems to be a single player game that they *might* add multiplayer to.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Sounds interesting.  And the best part is it seems to be a single player game that they *might* add multiplayer to.

Yeah, I just now noticed that, I assumed it was at least Co-Op but apparently that's a "stretch goal". Either way looks like a fun game to play superhero dress up in, hoping it actually happens.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
Welp just now noticed I missed the other Project Awakened thread, my bad!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
It's okay.  You do a better job at talking it up.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
For me... yes, a fast-paced shoot-em-up with lots of weapon choices is indeed "gameplay", but it's not even remotely similar to the gameplay I loved about CoH.  Unless there's some updated information about defensive powersets, buffs, debuffs, mezzes, and Mastermind-style pet summoning, I'll pass.

ET3D

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
For me... yes, a fast-paced shoot-em-up with lots of weapon choices is indeed "gameplay", but it's not even remotely similar to the gameplay I loved about CoH.  Unless there's some updated information about defensive powersets, buffs, debuffs, mezzes, and Mastermind-style pet summoning, I'll pass.

Personally I don't think pets are a hugely important part of the CoH experience. Yes, they are there, and I had a Mastermind character I enjoyed playing, but Mastermind wasn't always there and wasn't there for heroes before Freedom. There were other pets, but I still don't think they were a major aspect of the game.

I agree though that things like being able to have a freezing power which slows down enemies or freezes the ground under them to make them slip is something I would like.

The single player game has no chance of feeling like an MMO, and that's something that can't be expected. Co-op is a stretch goal, and that would be where most of the features you mention would start to make sense. The great thing about Kickstarter is that it fosters communication between developers and players. So if you like the concept, but want something more, go ahead and contact the developers and tell them.

Personally as someone who mainly soloed through CoH I like the idea of Project Awakened a lot. It does promise to give me a lot of what I enjoyed in CoH, although I would still like to hear more about the story, because playing stories was for me the highlight of CoH.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »
I feel the same way ET3D.  I ran mostly solo game play wise, but hanging out with friends was also a big part of CoH.  If they get Awakened out of bed and rolling I be more then happy to add it to my gamer library.  However I do want story not just action. 
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
Looks like a shooter for me just with an costomized character. Yes, I want and need a good character creation, but a little bit of gameplay is important for me too...

I'm getting the same impression too.  If I can't play this guy then its not good enough of a replacement to get me to wander away from CO.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
Well, there's an update that tells a bit about what they want to do with powers now.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312036782/project-awakened/posts/400946

Can someone tell me if it's visible to people that aren't backers?

Anyway, mentioned there is a power that recharges a target's energy while it's used on them, so they have some ideas for support powers at least.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:25 AM »
I can see the update page.  I'm not a backer, but I am a Kickstarter member.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 04:53:45 AM »
I'm neither a backer nor a member and I can see it. Looks interesting.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
NOTE:  I've merged the two ongoing discussions for this game into a single thread.

Carry on!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:35:58 PM »

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »
This article does a much better job of going into what they want to do than the kickstarter page does, read it now.

Thanks.  That article did make this endeavor sound more interesting.  I'll back them and see how it goes.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
Personally I don't think pets are a hugely important part of the CoH experience. Yes, they are there, and I had a Mastermind character I enjoyed playing, but Mastermind wasn't always there and wasn't there for heroes before Freedom. There were other pets, but I still don't think they were a major aspect of the game.

The way I played, they were.  I've always loved summons, and CoH was the first and only game to do pets right.

This game might be interesting, but it'll have to do a lot to win me over.  Right now, it's not doing it.  (Especially since they seem to think you had to click on enemies in CoH to attack them)