Author Topic: Reply from contact at Google!  (Read 93247 times)

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
Re: Reply from contact at Google!
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
I don't think I've seen my answer to what made teaming work so well in CoH, which is:  Team members are not in competition for rewards. 

This is an extension of the 'no loot' character progression.  Everyone got their own loot and nobody else knew what it was.  There wasn't a common pool of drops that the players were in competition for.  Since the players on the team weren't in competition for loot, it removed a disincentive for teaming. 

The incentive for teaming is that it's so much fun!  This comes because we don't need the trinity of Tank/Healer/DPS to complete levels.  Levels could have their difficulty changed so that regardless of team composition or skill level, you could complete the level and make progress.  You could play what you wanted and still succeed.

Others have mentioned sidekicking and when I first started CoH, it was a great idea, but a little clunky because you needed a separate mentor for each sidekick.  If you had more sidekicks than mentors, it didn't work.  The addition of Exemplaring and making *Everyone* sidekick to the team lead solved the problem nicely.

Basically, every barrier to teaming was minimized or removed.  Teaming on an MMO is incentive enough if you get the roadblocks out of the way.

+10

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2013, 05:05:55 AM »
I don't think I've seen my answer to what made teaming work so well in CoH, which is:  Team members are not in competition for rewards. 

This is an extension of the 'no loot' character progression.  Everyone got their own loot and nobody else knew what it was.  There wasn't a common pool of drops that the players were in competition for.  Since the players on the team weren't in competition for loot, it removed a disincentive for teaming. 

The incentive for teaming is that it's so much fun!  This comes because we don't need the trinity of Tank/Healer/DPS to complete levels.  Levels could have their difficulty changed so that regardless of team composition or skill level, you could complete the level and make progress.  You could play what you wanted and still succeed.

Others have mentioned sidekicking and when I first started CoH, it was a great idea, but a little clunky because you needed a separate mentor for each sidekick.  If you had more sidekicks than mentors, it didn't work.  The addition of Exemplaring and making *Everyone* sidekick to the team lead solved the problem nicely.

Basically, every barrier to teaming was minimized or removed.  Teaming on an MMO is incentive enough if you get the roadblocks out of the way.
OH yeah. probably why I cant ding CO side kick system too much because around CO age it was a bit clunky as hell. But the one after that where all low levels side kicked to the team leader, that was ingenious

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
Some good news.

We /think/ we've more or less finished the Google pitch.

We still need a little time to wait for our brains to settle and read it with fresh eyes, but we're hoping to send it out soon (tm). We'll let you know when it's gone.

--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
Awesome news, Rae. Say the word if/when you want us to start mailing Google.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Some good news.

I forget if I've said it, but y'know, it deserves to be said again anyway.

Stop derailing this thread with nonsense! >:(

*hrrk* :o     Oh..... ummm.... a-hehe :-[

I guess what I meant to say was, Thank you guys so much for putting in this work on our behalf!

/e wayneandgarthbow    "We're not worthy!"

We still need a little time to wait for our brains to settle and read it with fresh eyes, but we're hoping to send it out soon (tm). We'll let you know when it's gone.

Yes. Take your time, un-fry your brains. If there's something we can do, you know where we are.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:10 AM »
Some good news.

Crossing my fingers! and toes! and legs, arms, hair, whatever else can be crossed!

...y'know, this would be a good time for some of those proposed banner ads to get put up, so that Google can see that there's still a large group of people who are interested in CoX.  (I've posted this suggestion in the appropriate threads)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:04:59 AM by Lucretia MacEvil »

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:16 AM »
Crossing my fingers! and toes! and legs, arms, hair, whatever else can be crossed!

...y'know, this would be a good time for some of those proposed banner ads to get put up, so that Google can see that there's still a large group of people who are interested in CoX.  (I've posted this suggestion in the appropriate threads)

I agree that something like this should be done..

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »
Can't hurt, honestly. It won't kill us to hang on and have a double-headed approach.

Is that the right phrase?
--
@Vandellia

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
Great news to start the day!

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
That is awesome news for a Monday morning!

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #271 on: April 29, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Still going I should have guessed some wouldn't give up. I shouldn't either I'm still here and I'll be watching for what I can do...I wanna get my online home back...

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »
and again there was much rejoicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enSYlCEz5VI
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #273 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36:42 AM »
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #274 on: May 05, 2013, 01:43:48 AM »
Some good news.

This story over on hothardware.com suggests an additional target for the pitch to Google; they've hired Noah Falstein as Chief Game Designer.  He began his career in the games industry, and has worked for Lucasfilm Games, 3DO, and Dreamworks Interactive, and has been chairman of the International Game Developers Association, and had a column in Game Developer Magazine.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #275 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
It's been forever since I've been able to bring myself here but I wanted to say I appreciate the work people are still doing.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:39 AM »
do we know for sure that the Google contact is still interested ?? Its been a while

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #277 on: May 07, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
alot of us are still anxious even this long after the shut down. CoH was a good addiction to me, heh I bought every pack possible, even the ones I didn't need to buy, and I'm poorish. I also always bought full years of VIP time..

sorry to push, but can we get an update on the proof reading of the pitch package? :D

like "today several pages were proofread, we have now proof read 132 of 300 pages." :P sorry, it would help the general anxiety some of us have.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #278 on: May 07, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Cross posting from t'other thread, but I believe the plan is to coincide the sending of the pitch with the ad campaign being organised elsewhere on the boards.

..unless Quinch tells me otherwise :)
--
@Vandellia

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #279 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
Cross posting from t'other thread, but I believe the plan is to coincide the sending of the pitch with the ad campaign being organised elsewhere on the boards.

..unless Quinch tells me otherwise :)

Is that still being organized? Haven't heard anything in, what, 2 weeks? At least?