Author Topic: Community-Built COH Style MMORPG  (Read 127206 times)

solerunner

• Underling
Re: Community-Built COH Style MMORPG
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
Just found out about this project following them all. I would love to test this game out me and my wife have been lost without COX.I would like to be considered for testing =]

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
AG:  Really sorry for my confusion  :P  as to what was being shown in the demo, must have had a terrible brain cramp.  Looking forward to seeing the first zone with the mega city look.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:57:41 PM by TDGeorge »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
When you have that Mac client ready, let me know.  I'll download it and (try to) give it a whirl.

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2013, 07:09:04 AM »
It's been a pretty busy work week so far everyone. Sorry I haven't been able to respond frequently; I've received all your emails and private messages and will respond tomorrow and Friday. I'm finishing up here at work getting ready to shut down the studio and get some rest. I had some time to get a few more elements setup in the test build. It now has an NPC setup that the player can interact with as well as a combat testing mob. I'll connect with the internal testers tomorrow to get build links out. I'm headed off to get some sleep now, but I'll be back on it in the morning; no work tomorrow. I'll share more information as soon as more development takes place.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2013, 03:50:59 PM »
I am looking forward to the next stage.  Thank you.

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2013, 03:46:23 AM »
Sorry for the late reply everyone. I've been working with the team grinding out ideas and building one of the starter zones for the game. A lot is going on within the project, so we're all excited. Our new site design has been turned over to a professional site design, we have a community manager, and are speaking with another one soon. They will assist us with conveying information between our development team and the site when we are just too busy developing to step in. We will also be doing weekly new updates and launch new sections of the site following the new update. These sections will be for the dev's blogs, powers and abilities, alignments and corporations, and information. In addition, we have a few writers that will be entering the fray to assist with the further development of story elements, character creation, and history. For those interested in take a look at the visuals, we decided to share a link to a first person walk-through of Pendulum. If you'd like to play please follow this link:

http://shogn.net/gamebuild/Pendulum/Valiance%20Web.html

Please be sparring in regards to the possible inadequecies that you may run into. Seeing as we have been unable to acquire a level design to asset with the structure and development of Pendulum, I was forced to move forward. Therefore, I've put some effort into assisting with it's development. More updates including a public stress test of our server with the actual Valiance build is planned for 2 weeks. We'll keep everyone updated as frequently as we can. If your further interested, follow us on Facebook for the most frequent updates:

http://www.facebook.com/ValianceOnline

For those who have contacted me and haven't received a reply, it's because of this initial grind, my family, and my day job. Rest assure I'll be contacting each of you this week; I took part of the week off. To everyone here thanks for giving Valiance a chance and thanks also for your time and faith in us. Hope to see everyone in game real soon.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »
Very impressive. For being the last PlanZ, you have made solid progress.

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #347 on: May 26, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Thanks Downix, I really appreciate your support man. We're planning a large stress test in about 2 weeks, hopefully you can run around the city with us if you have time. I'm talking to the lead developers throughout the week to get a solid date for the play test. Trying to get more artists on board as well, but they're doing a great job establishing the game. I'm proud of their hard work and dedicated. I'm happy to be a part of something that means so much to me and my friends.

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #348 on: May 26, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
Here are some logos 3 of the big players in the world of Valiance:

We'll have more updates soon!

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2013, 03:37:50 AM »
Hello everyone, and I wish you all well. I have watched this forum since before the shutdown, and now will throw in my two cents from time to time. First post to the forums for me. First post to ANY forum for me. First would like to say a big thank you to all who have made all this possible. Yes, ALL of you. You stalwart unstoppable heroes. Thank you. Very Well Done. Can't wait to join you on ALL the super MMO's we will be using! To Aviticus: wow..good work. Can't wait to see more. Great job! Valiance looks to be a real nice world for all of us. To the rest of you..Again, I say Thank You! You'll hear me say this many times in the near future. I will no longer just watch the forums. I have joined and will add my voice to yours. Seven years I was part of CoX, and I'm not ready to leave. See you all soon.
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:52 AM »
Veyr impressive stuff.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #351 on: May 27, 2013, 06:39:19 AM »
I have watched this forum since before the shutdown, and now will throw in my two cents from time to time. First post to the forums for me. First post to ANY forum for me.

Ooooh! That's a big step. I remember the first time I jumped in and posted to a public forum, I was nervous as all get out hehe. It was over City as well... an entry for a screenshot caption contest Ocho was running, I do believe. I guess that game of ours just has a way of inspiring passion to overcome hesitation.

Welcome to our humble little rebel alliance, Alpha! Looking forward to hearing your opinions on stuff :)

And Aviticus, I just checked out VO's facebook page.  ...You're seriously tempting me to pick up that new video card much earlier than I'd planned, so I can jump into the testing too. Lookin' good, my friend, lookin' good! :D

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »
@Alpha, Greetings and welcome to the boards. Glad to see you making that leap, as Triplash said it's a huge first step that we've all had to take. Can't wait to see you in more conversations!

@JaguarX, Thanks very much, if you like that we hope to blow you mind with the full build. We just finished implementing a system that let's the player scale individual elements of their player without compromising their outfits or the animations. You can now increase the girth of your arms, legs waist, and uniformly scale your overall height and head size. So you can make a player with a thin chest, massive arms and thin legs. Or you can make a tall toon with a thin waist, a huge chest, a huge head, and thin arms. We made a step forward without affecting the true nature of the design.

Another cool things is that I just finished designing a system that has enabled us to create an elastic skill without compromising the players body mesh or the textures. We have added a new elastic power that lets the player land punches, kicks, and other attacks over short distances. Basically it's a Mr. Fantastic ability, it's really cool. The designers are happy with it, so I'm happy with it. It also doesn't deviate for the original CoH standards aside from its appearance.

@Triplash, Glad you like it my friend. If you can jump in and give the town test a walkthrough, you PC should be more than capable of running that. It runs on my 6 year old laptop fine. Let me know how the experience was, if you try it out please.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
Good to hear Aviticus.  You started later then the other two projects, but you have the advantage of having Pro developers.  The other two teams (TPP, A&V) are learning as they go.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
Good to hear Aviticus.  You started later then the other two projects, but you have the advantage of having Pro developers.  The other two teams (TPP, A&V) are learning as they go.
TPP has two dozen professional game designers with 18 titles under our belts. While most of the volunteers are learning, we are not all spring chickens.

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #355 on: May 27, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »
That's very cool.downix! I knew you had a large collection of talent on your team, had no idea it was that extensive! And I'm glad..Thanx so much for putting that together...I, along with many,many others, are in your debt. I'm anxiously awaiting to see your work as well. You,sir, are a true hero. Thank you again! Long Live Plan Z!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
@Rotten Luck, each team is very much professional in there own unique aspect. I worked as a contract coder for various major companies and game distributors for the last 18 years and didn't get my formal certificate college education until 4 years ago. The only reason I even did that is because my younger brother that passed on, always said he'd be a shame of me if I didn't get a piece of paper to show my capabilities. Nothing about that paper really changed anything. I mean I learned a few unique elements to coding structure and some "syntactically correct" ways to do somethings. Overall it was nothing that I couldn't have pictured up from a company's coding format document prior to working on code. We all bring a lot to the table, and I'm grateful about that. We do have a lot of coders with decades of experience designing and releasing commercial MMOs, but that's not to say someone with no packaged products or experience in the commercial market can't do the same thing. Until I started working on my own project, I'd been programming games and application for about 13-14 years, but had never programmed anything as largely complicated as an MMO. So I learned a lot by trying things and messing up haha. My hats off to all those fighting to bring the community back together. It's definitely a huge undertaking, but it's that much more possible. It will just take lots of time and dedication, something I believe we all have.

@Downix, You reminded me of my mom with the "Spring Chickens" comment haha. I never knew what the heck a spring chicken was, but I figured it was some kind of newb thing by the way she said it.

@Alpha Series, I'm excited as well. I've actually got to see some really great things from TPP so far. Hopefully they stop holding back and break out more videos and imagery. I know their holding back some goodies over there.... I've seen a few haha.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
That's very cool.downix! I knew you had a large collection of talent on your team, had no idea it was that extensive! And I'm glad..Thanx so much for putting that together...I, along with many,many others, are in your debt. I'm anxiously awaiting to see your work as well. You,sir, are a true hero. Thank you again! Long Live Plan Z!
You should see our old-time chit-chats sometime. Ever seen people discussing the right way to program a Sinclair vs a Commodore 64 vs an apple IIc?

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #358 on: May 28, 2013, 12:51:55 AM »
To downix: seen them talk about it, yes...understood them? not a chance....that was some technospeak in those days only a few really got into,,,I was NOT one of them...my forte and area of expertise has always been the nuts and bolts end of things. Which is why haven't volunteered to be part of any of the plan Z teams..no expertise in programming or coding. Also why you won't get a lot of suggestions from me as to what I'd like to see in the game. If I don't know what it takes to provide a costume piece or power, chances are I won't be asking someone to give it to me unless they ask me to. Besides, all of you have lived COH, so you know what the story is, all the way. I only played one game the past seven years, and it was COH. I've never played any other MMO, and like it so much, have no wish to play anything else besides COH and the Plan Z MMO's. And by the way, Thank you again for makin' it happen,captain.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #359 on: May 28, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »
You should see our old-time chit-chats sometime. Ever seen people discussing the right way to program a Sinclair vs a Commodore 64 vs an apple IIc?

OK, I haven't looked it up, yet, but is there some Internet Rule that says every forum/BB discussion about coding or programming must eventually mention the C64? (not denying that I've done it)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."