Author Topic: Call to Action: Bring CoH Home! - Phase 2  (Read 33292 times)

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
Call to Action: Bring CoH Home! - Phase 2
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
Cancelled, please support the ad-buying project(s) that are currently in development.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:21:38 PM by Lightslinger »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Call to Action: Bring CoH Home!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
I think you want this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aI5CRaQvEg&feature=player_detailpage#t=2060s

It's not a cut of the video, but links to the phrase you wanted.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »
I think you want this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aI5CRaQvEg&feature=player_detailpage#t=2060s

It's not a cut of the video, but links to the phrase you wanted.

Changed that link out, very much appreciated!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »
Jack has a LinkedIn account:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jack-emmert/1/6a6/614

Also, members of the CO community are trying a mailing campaign to get some dev attention back the their game. The link (included because it has the Cryptic mailing address);

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1395179
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
A laudable goal.  :)  Here's hoping this can be pulled off!

Surelle

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
Thanks for spearheading this effort, Light!

I sent all four press places a note, but I don't have a twitter so I skipped that one.  I'm sending emails to Cryptic and NC, but don't want the Wildstar guy to get into any hot water so I probably won't bother him.

You know, even if Jack was being facetious on that panel, just bringing it to everyone's attention that a major panel of MMO head honchos think CoH shouldn't have been closed down is newsworthy in and of itself.  And as an Everquest 2 player, it was particularly heartening to hear Dave Georgeson (whose Smokejumper forum persona has taken a lot of beating from trolls on the EQ forums over the years) say that you will still be able to play Everquest in 2050.  I still secretly wish SOE had taken on CoH, much like I wished it when the phony rumor was going around about it shortly after CoH's closing announcement was made, but alas, I digress....

And dw, it's good that CO players are trying to get some attention back onto their game!  At least it's still up and running, but they'll be no worse off than they are right now even if their pleas don't help much.  You never know if something can happen until you ask about it.  Just like us with CoH.   :)

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
Jack has a LinkedIn account:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jack-emmert/1/6a6/614

Also, members of the CO community are trying a mailing campaign to get some dev attention back the their game. The link (included because it has the Cryptic mailing address);

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1395179

Thanks for these, especially the mailing address, that will be needed for Phase 2 mailings.

Thanks for spearheading this effort, Light!

I sent all four press places a note, but I don't have a twitter so I skipped that one.  I'm sending emails to Cryptic and NC, but don't want the Wildstar guy to get into any hot water so I probably won't bother him.

You know, even if Jack was being facetious on that panel, just bringing it to everyone's attention that a major panel of MMO head honchos think CoH shouldn't have been closed down is newsworthy in and of itself.  And as an Everquest 2 player, it was particularly heartening to hear Dave Georgeson (whose Smokejumper forum persona has taken a lot of beating from unicorns on the EQ forums over the years) say that you will still be able to play Everquest in 2050.  I still secretly wish SOE had taken on CoH, much like I wished it when the phony rumor was going around about it shortly after CoH's closing announcement was made, but alas, I digress....

And dw, it's good that CO players are trying to get some attention back onto their game!  At least it's still up and running, but they'll be no worse off than they are right now even if their pleas don't help much.  You never know if something can happen until you ask about it.  Just like us with CoH.   :)

Completely agreed, I want as much publicity for that whole exchange as possible. CoH being shut down was, among that panel, a resounding mistake. Let's work to help NCsoft right that mistake. And I do completely support what the CO players are doing and hope they understand we're not trying undermine them or CO at all, we just want our game back.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
Guys, I'd like to hold off on this at least a day or two.  I don't want us spamming Jack or Cryptic, or worse, Carbine, with a ton of messages.  That could easily turn people who would otherwise like us against us, and could actually cause harm to innocent bystanders who have no influence over this thing at all.  If you want, feel free to ping NCsoft (please note: NOT Carbine, as they have absolutely zero influence over this issue, and those people too busy as it is right now to deal with this) and let them know.

I'm still pondering what, if anything, we should do about the whole Cryptic thing.  I'll probably see if I can somehow reach out to Jack and see if 1) he's serious, and 2) if so, if there's anything he thinks we could do that would help the situation, or at a bare minimum, if there are things we shouldn't do that would probably hurt the situation.

But I don't exactly have the guy on speed dial, and I'm not sure he even knows who I am, but we'll see.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
A couple of Titan members (users, not Orange Dots) are journalists of one flavor or another. It would be useful if they could get a read from Jack, as well, since a member of the press would be someone he'd at least consider responding to.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »
Guys, I'd like to hold off on this at least a day or two.  I don't want us spamming Jack or Cryptic, or worse, Carbine, with a ton of messages.  That could easily turn people who would otherwise like us against us, and could actually cause harm to innocent bystanders who have no influence over this thing at all.  If you want, feel free to ping NCsoft (please note: NOT Carbine, as they have absolutely zero influence over this issue, and those people too busy as it is right now to deal with this) and let them know.

I'm still pondering what, if anything, we should do about the whole Cryptic thing.  I'll probably see if I can somehow reach out to Jack and see if 1) he's serious, and 2) if so, if there's anything he thinks we could do that would help the situation, or at a bare minimum, if there are things we shouldn't do that would probably hurt the situation.

But I don't exactly have the guy on speed dial, and I'm not sure he even knows who I am, but we'll see.

Agreed, I'll edit the OP accordingly. I never intended to blow up anyone's mailbox really, or get anyone in trouble, just thought we may get a few dozen of us to let some people know we're listening and we're interested in this idea. Carbine/Mr. Gaffney were only included because he was there at the panel, the person Jack was talking to, and might be able to get us a contact at NCsoft to speak with.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
Being nice gets you nowhere. The nice guy always finishes last. Jack wants to throw out a statement like "Have NCsoft call me!" knowing that a multitude of "COH'rs" are watching and anticipating it's return, then he should be able to deal with the consequences of that. I say do what you want the game is gone it's as of right now NOT coming back. So what will it hurt to "annoy" whoever we want to annoy. If they don't want to be annoyed then stop making comments getting everyones hopes up. I am honestly tired of it and I feel if you want to hold a full fledged press campaign targeting what Jack said, DO IT! Why hold off, the game is gone nothing can hurt it anymore than it already is. If Jack didn't mean it then he shouldn't have said it. If Carbine has no power I would agree not to flood them with emails for support but then again I say do what you want if you think it will help. Heck contact Oprah if you think it will help, cause as of now the game is NOT coming back! Like Nike says "Just do it"!

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
I get that sentiment too, and honestly if in a week we haven't heard anything from Tony's attempts I'm open to restarting the campaign.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
--Youtube I'd like to cut down the MMORPG video of the dev panel to only the "Tell NCsoft to call me" exchange. Adding subtitles would be great. Here's the original video, (set to jump directly to Jack's comment): Editing this down and subtitling would make it much easier to spread around.

We might need to get permission from MMORPG if we're going to distribute an edited version of it.

SypherVendetta

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »
Guys, a few points here to consider before jumping the sack here, first off, let's see the track record of jack emmertt and how he has dealt with CO, right now that game is nothing more than a cash conduit, serving up to just rake in the dollars, they have very little interest in it, and it is only running because it was part of the star trek purchase to perfect world, they have the complete license, which means to do whatever they please.

Now consider they bought CoH license, they will use it like it has with CO and continually to ravage the market by selling it out, and that's not even to say it will be out for another year or so anyways, which brings to another point.

Say they want to get rid of it after a year, keep the ip servers, or even just mess it up, do nothing with it, so many things that can go wrong here.
Also, it's not my place to really judge, but my experience with CO while i been there since beta was tarnished because some of the community and their elitist attitude, we would be sharing with them, they would bring that kind of attitude over, we don't need that.

I would suggest keeping your hopes low, this is at best, a joke form his part, a sick joke, but i don't see how this could benefit any of us, and i say this with sincerity and i mean it.

Can you honestly believe we will get the same game that it once was? some of you can't let go, i get that, but some of us have moved on, played other games, thought meh, and opened the door to other things so to speak, now i am all for bringing this game back, for the right reasons, and i got to say, maybe it was it's time to go, maybe it was not to go any further, can we accept this?

I for one won't sit here and let them take this game, i prefer it dead in the hands of NCSoft than to be used as a guinea pig for cash flow purposes, think about my words, i am not trying to lower your hopes for this game, just to give you a reality check, but, and a big but at that, if they can give us the content we were getting, the old team that was apart of it, and the continuity that it was showing, i will accept it and play again, but for now, this sounds like a bad idea.

I was Sypher Vendetta in CoH for 6 and a half years and i spent alot of time and money on that game throughout the years i was there, so i hope to god this is for the right reasons.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 07:46:39 PM »
Why hold off, the game is gone nothing can hurt it anymore than it already is.

I don't feel this is entirely accurate.  If every time someone says anything related to CoH either about trying to bring it back or it being shut down and we are always there email bombing Carbine and Cryptic people will get annoyed, eventually you get to the point where people will go out of their way NOT to say anything ever about the game to avoid us being there and responding.  We are the only front fighting for CoH we can't lose the few teammates we have got here.  Light I think you have a great idea I only read it after you edited the first post but I does seem like a really good idea.  I would just wait because Tony made really good points, and it is also his website.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
I posted in the thread that led to this, but I just wanted to say that the point may not be in getting Jack or Cryptic to buy CoH or anything.
The opinions expressed about CoH by these people within the industry should, however, be used to continue publicity for SaveCoH and for NCSoft to sell and to keep it in the minds of anyone and everyone we can reach.
So, I just see this as valuable publicity, regardless of whether or not the actual parties involved are the ones who may end up buying CoH.

So, I'm not in favor of blowing up anyone's inboxes over it (other than news outlets). I just think we should use this as another banner to wave and shout to the world that we still want the game back and that it never should have gone away... and a panel of experts AGREES. ;)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »
Again, a quiet reminder about straws and the advisability of grasping at them.

Any hope is better than none at all.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
Again, a quiet reminder about straws and the advisability of grasping at them.

Any hope is better than none at all.

So, you're saying we should be mailing straws to NCSoft? On it! :)

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
So, you're saying we should be mailing straws to NCSoft? On it! :)

Send them the premium stuff. Not that industrial crap.
Spess

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 09:30:29 PM »
if they can give us the content we were getting, the old team that was apart of it, and the continuity that it was showing, i will accept it and play again,

No new publisher is going to give all of these things. Not at all ever. Regardless of who wrests CoH from the hands of NC$oft, it will be done under their banner, and the way they do things. So to expect this from Cryptic & Jack, just cuz that's what it'll take to get you to play, is unreasonable.

Honestly, all this "hold & wait" pattern stuff has me kinda frustrated. I've tried moving on and honestly there's nothing that has that homey feel that CoH had. I miss it. I want it back.

Yes, I get the point of wanting a focused effort, but really, you had to figure that enough of us wanted to get on this ball before it was left gone and forgotten in the dust of PAX past.

Grand total, we're waiting for Disney, we're waiting for Google proposal, before then transitioning to waiting for Google response. We're waiting for so many things, when do we get to -do- something? Jack had to have known what he set himself in for when he made that statement. Even if CoH were in maintenance mode, I'd play it still.

IMO - if there's no one with a direct line -to- Jack, simply waiting for him to return a call or message from someone he doesn't even know is more time waiting that could be sent mailing postcards to NC$oft with the youtube link printed on it.

In the end, it's not my call. I'm just frustrated like I know many of us are. *shrugs*