Author Topic: The legendary "Rude Tells" thread  (Read 2883 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
The legendary "Rude Tells" thread
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:18:38 AM »
I FOUND IT! I found the Rude Tells thread from the official CoH forums!

I couldn't believe that the entire CoH community had simply let this priceless collaboration slip into history, so, after some searching, I finally found it! The link is at the top of the first post on this page: http://silveraegis.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1419816

I loaded each of the 77 pages, and looked at the forum page numbers (e.g., page 1 of 74). The third page appears to be a copy of the second, but the rest seem to be there. Where the post talks about "Chrome pages", that's just regular web pages, as far as I can tell.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:37:50 AM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: The legendary "Rude Tells" thread
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:41 AM »
You know, as much fun as this is, it's another one of those facepalm moments, for me. In the entire time I played the game, never once did I change my search status. I would blindly click "Decline" on a blind invite, but, if someone sent a tell asking if I wanted to team, and I didn't, I would give a polite reply explaining why I was staying solo, at that time. I never once had a problem with a rude tell.

I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »
On the first page, message #65 reminds me of going through the same thing with my mercs MM, Gunny Sargent. I had people telling me that I had misspelled "sergeant", and I'd tell them, "No, I didn't; 'Sargent' is an actual last name." (For instance, the actor Dick Sargent, who played the second Darrin on "Bewitched".) They'd accuse me of lying, and of not being able to admit to the misspelling. Even though his bio said, "No, it's not a typo; my last name is Sargent. Yes, I'm aware that that makes me Gunnery Sergeant Sargent."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:55:08 AM by Super Firebug »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
All the ranks would have been funny.

When I was in "A" school in the navy, we were all at the rank of "seaman." We had a running joke of listing last names, real or hypothetical, that sounded funny with "seaman" in front of them. What started it was a guy in another class whose last name was Swalla, which I tried for most of my early time playing the game to figure out a way to use as a name, but I could never get a good "navy costume" that I liked, and I never got a power set combo that seemed to fit. (I think they added a giant wrench club, later, but I had given up by then.) I just wanted to see how what I could get past the radar.

(I later found out with the Burning Itch that it was quite a lot...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »
Gunny Sargent did turn out to be an exercise in wordplay. His henchmen were Pvt. Enterprise, Pvt. Property, Pvt. School, Pvt. Practice (the medic, of course), Cpl. Punishment and Sgt. Major.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »
To whoever saved and archived this, if you're out there: THANK YOU! And profound apologies for taking so long to say it.  I'm only to page 4, and I've already, several times, laughed myself to near-asphyxiation. The post about the "healing arrow" team-search message makes me so want to roll up a TA/Archery def, just so I can use that line! I still can't say the whole thing out loud without breaking up.

grouchybeast

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Thanks for finding that link!  Of course, now I'm reading it and I'm all sad because of the forum names there.  I sometimes think I miss the forums more than the game...

ETA: No, I think the thing I miss most is the ITF speed runs.  (Phil, if you ever stop by the Titan forums, thanks for all those invites, even though I'm a uncoordinated klutz with a bad sense of direction.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:17:40 AM by grouchybeast »

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:45:06 AM »
ah yes, even team friendly and casual CoH had its share of testy moments with rude tells.

Even so, 7 years of playing CoH I only ever put 1 person on perma ignore for rude tells. Everyone else on ignore was a spammer for RMT.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
"Okay, so that's the original thread. Once you download it (or, IF you download it) you'll get a series of Chrome documents."

...What are Chrome documents?

EDIT: never mind.  I can see the ".html" suffix.  Misleading.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Roderick

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
I can't stand those filesharing sites that force you to register to download, so here's a link to a mirror on my personal webspace that doesn't make you do anything like that.

http://members.shaw.ca/flamingbunnyman/RudeTells.zip

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
I can't stand those filesharing sites that force you to register to download, so here's a link to a mirror on my personal webspace that doesn't make you do anything like that.

http://members.shaw.ca/flamingbunnyman/RudeTells.zip

I hate that too, which is why I have a bunch of throwaway e-mail addresses and always give them completely fake names.  I'm glad you did this but I wish you'd done it earlier. :P
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.