Author Topic: Observance  (Read 12813 times)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Observance
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
What, if anything, will you be doing to observe August 31; the day we all logged in expecting to while away a long holiday weekend in Paragon City with our friends and our creations, only to see.... THAT MESSAGE.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
Re: Observance
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
What, if anything, will you be doing to observe August 31; the day we all logged in expecting to while away a long holiday weekend in Paragon City with our friends and our creations, only to see.... THAT MESSAGE.

August 31? I don't know. November 30? If there's still no place I can rejoin my friends and acquaintances from the game, I will fire up Icon to load the reconstruction of Pakfront, my first character and the one that I saw the game shut down on, and take her to the Rikti War Zone to the Rikti mothership where she was in the middle of a ship raid when the server was shut down, and then to Atlas Park, and spend some time remembering what we have all lost.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
We ought to do a "twitter event" both days! Flood the PC waves!

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »
I considered calling for some sort of event but 1.) I'm not much of an organizer, and B.) with only three weeks to go, it would be hard to arrange much.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »
I've been thinking of writing a Facebook post in an attempt to explain what the game mean to me. Champions Online's anniversary is 09/01 so I'm hoping that there will be some things going on there to distract me.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »
I hadn't really thought about it. But now that I am, all I can think of is loading up Icon, going to the City Hall steps, spawning in each and every one of my alts, and holding my own private unity rally.

Either /e holdtorch, or maybe /e laptop to represent reading the terrible news.

... or maybe /e popdance, cause screw them anyway 8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »
nothing planned on that day.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
That weekend, I will be out of town and, presumably, away from Internet. I made a copy in CO of my CoH main, an Invincible, after the shutdown. I've been playing more frequently in the past couple of weeks. Now I know why. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 02:15:20 AM »
We should get groups of 4 together in other games and spell out AP33 on our chests!

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
I am currently working on my e-mail list to get some of my old friends to gather. We are looking to gather on September 8, the Anniversary of the Unity rally, possibly on duplicates of our mains (if possible) on Champions Online.

I would love to see how many would like to come.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »
I can get behind this.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »
I'm not sure if taking it into other games would be the right choice exactly. If we got to many people on and over loaded their servers I don't think the people who play the game would be overly appreciative. Idk much about servers so maybe this isn't an issue. Whatever we do we should make sure we aren't to bad a nuisance to other players. We should be seen, but not hated, ya? That being said, I would attend a gathering in Champions.

Maybe we could do a unity rally type thing where everyone posts pictures of their mains holding up the torch on facebook and whatever else?
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »
I believe that Champions uses instanced zones if there are too many people, and I have seen hundreds in one zone. That being said, I don't want to cause bad blood with another game and I don't believe this will. Of course, we could max their servers. But That might be wishful thinking...

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »
Wow... a whole year.

*cries*  :'(

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:42 AM »
I believe that Champions uses instanced zones if there are too many people, and I have seen hundreds in one zone. That being said, I don't want to cause bad blood with another game and I don't believe this will. Of course, we could max their servers. But That might be wishful thinking...

Yea. As long as we don't go out of our way to crash their servers I think it'd be alright. Maybe just limit the gathering to people who actually play champions? Though that might limit it to much.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:54 AM »
Each instance of an outdoor zone takes 100 people.

Please be aware that a new account must have a level 10 character to unlock all basic costume options (I hate this, too.)

Millennium City has a City Hall that should be safe  for low level players. There is also a large park overlooking Westside.
Spess

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:16 AM »
I believe Champions Online's Anniversary is 09/01 so be aware of that as well.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 04:55:33 AM »
Vyolet, who did the newest Legacy site had this idea to do a new letter writing.
Here's the idea I had. Whatchathink?

Of course, you cannot cut out the eyes otherwise the letter will be returned to you.

-Lex Luthor

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
We ought to do a "twitter event" both days! Flood the PC waves!

Personally, I like that idea more than crowding any other MMOs with our rallies for two reasons.

First, not everyone who got dragged kicking and screaming from CoH went to other MMOs, some just lost interest in them entirely because of how NCSoft soured the experience in the end. Then there's the fact that not everyone who enjoyed CoH went to the same MMOs because a lot of people didn't like the vastly different styles those games offered (I know for a fact that most of my SG didn't like CO or DCUO for instance, and only a handful liked STO, most of the rest I think wondered off entirely and I don't think they're really playing any MMOs anymore). This means we might be too scattered in some senses to make a real impact like the unity rally was. Basically, since not everyone plays the same games, any rally we hold in a game would be much reduced, and perceptively relay to those communities that our efforts are failing and losing momentum, even if it's not the case. It's easier to get people to unite in large numbers if it's something everyone can access easily, of which Twitter is, where as not everyone has certain MMOs installed on their computers, let alone have accounts for them. Add in all the chat restrictions for free players in most games, and those people won't really be able to do too much except stand there and look pretty on their level 3-10ish characters(depending on the game and when they let you leave the starting area/tutorial zones).

Second, I doubt that NCSoft would even notice, or care, if we rallied in other games, and it's possible that a majority of players from those games might not care about our rally either since they still have their games at present, so what exactly would it accomplish to hold it there? We want our presence to be known and acknowledged that we're not going away, not shrugged off and ignored because our organized efforts are too scattered and uncoordinated to make a real impact.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
Personally, I like that idea more than crowding any other MMOs with our rallies for two reasons.

First, not everyone who got dragged kicking and screaming from CoH went to other MMOs, some just lost interest in them entirely because of how NCSoft soured the experience in the end. Then there's the fact that not everyone who enjoyed CoH went to the same MMOs because a lot of people didn't like the vastly different styles those games offered (I know for a fact that most of my SG didn't like CO or DCUO for instance, and only a handful liked STO, most of the rest I think wondered off entirely and I don't think they're really playing any MMOs anymore). This means we might be too scattered in some senses to make a real impact like the unity rally was. Basically, since not everyone plays the same games, any rally we hold in a game would be much reduced, and perceptively relay to those communities that our efforts are failing and losing momentum, even if it's not the case. It's easier to get people to unite in large numbers if it's something everyone can access easily, of which Twitter is, where as not everyone has certain MMOs installed on their computers, let alone have accounts for them. Add in all the chat restrictions for free players in most games, and those people won't really be able to do too much except stand there and look pretty on their level 3-10ish characters(depending on the game and when they let you leave the starting area/tutorial zones).

Second, I doubt that NCSoft would even notice, or care, if we rallied in other games, and it's possible that a majority of players from those games might not care about our rally either since they still have their games at present, so what exactly would it accomplish to hold it there? We want our presence to be known and acknowledged that we're not going away, not shrugged off and ignored because our organized efforts are too scattered and uncoordinated to make a real impact.

OK, first, it doesn't matter if we play the game. In a F2P game like Champions, we can all make an account, make a character, run through the tutorial (which, granted, is annoying), and then we gather in some large venue where we can just hang out, maybe run around a little (there should be enough of us who do play and have some higher level characters to team with the visitors) and see what the place is like. Think of it as a reunion, rather than a gameplay session. Not everyone who goes to a reunion is there for the venue.

Second, who gives a flying touque about NC$oft. This is about us and our game and remembering what we've lost. Sure it's in a "public" place, but that's only so that we can get together in a way that is reminiscent of how we used to. And, we sure as hell aren't showing support for Cryptic or Champions (or the studio or game of wherever we decide to do it), because it's a one-time thing. Sure, their servers will show a spike, but it'll be over in a few hours, and everything will be back to normal. :)