Author Topic: The Big Giant Icon Thread  (Read 202397 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: The Big Giant Icon Thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 05, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
I would love to give Icon a shot, but sadly I uninstalled my Client and every time I go to torrent the i24 Client, my Anti-Virus warns me of Trojans infecting the file. I've been trying to pull the seed from savecoh.com, but as much as I miss the City I also don't want to infect my computer.
Ignore your anti-virus. The torrent is safe. The only way for the torrent to have a virus or trojan is for every single person that is seeding it (and every single person who has previously downloaded it) to also have a virus or trojan in their copy. And obviously that is not true (as I got my copy from there and my copy is safe). Torrents are literally 100% copies downloaded to your computer that are 100% equal to what's been put up.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #1261 on: July 05, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
The torrent would be safe but use the sugar sync or mega download method on the page ( http://www.savecoh.com/p/download-issue-24-beta.html ) if worried.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1262 on: July 05, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
I used SugarSync, and had no problem with the result. You can ignore installing their client, too; it's not needed for the I24 folder.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #1263 on: July 05, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
Everything downloaded.

Man, I'd forgotten how much I missed the Character Creator. The only downside though, every time I try to enter the City to run around and snag screenshots, it tells me the map failed to load and the server is busy.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1264 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Thanks, Mantic and GuyPerfect.

I got Classic AP to load by manually typing in the command, so I tried inserting it into the popmenu, but it won't work. Here's what I have; the line I inserted is in the middle (Echo: Atlas Park):

Option "Atlas Park" "beginchat /loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_01_01/City_01_01.txt"
         Option "Echo: Atlas Park" "beginchat /loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_01_01/City_01_01_Echo.txt"
         Option "Galaxy City (pre-I21)" "beginchat /loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_01_03/City_01_03.txt"

It appears in the menu, but selecting it does nothing. Adding the line is the only change I made to the popmenu file. Where did I mess up? Thanks for any help.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #1265 on: July 05, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
Everything downloaded.

Man, I'd forgotten how much I missed the Character Creator. The only downside though, every time I try to enter the City to run around and snag screenshots, it tells me the map failed to load and the server is busy.

Are you using the latest version of Icon?

I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #1266 on: July 05, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
Thanks, Mantic and GuyPerfect.

I got Classic AP to load by manually typing in the command, so I tried inserting it into the popmenu, but it won't work. Here's what I have; the line I inserted is in the middle (Echo: Atlas Park):

Option "Atlas Park" "beginchat /loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_01_01/City_01_01.txt"
         Option "Echo: Atlas Park" "beginchat /loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_01_01/City_01_01_Echo.txt"
         Option "Galaxy City (pre-I21)" "beginchat /loadmap maps/City_Zones/City_01_03/City_01_03.txt"

It appears in the menu, but selecting it does nothing. Adding the line is the only change I made to the popmenu file. Where did I mess up? Thanks for any help.

I can't quite tell from looking at it, but make sure you have a space between "beginchat and /loadmap.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1267 on: July 05, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
Weird. It works now, and I didn't change anything. I DID remember to save Wordpad after I inserted the line, and I DID close Icon and run it again, but it didn't work. So I closed Icon again, went to do something else, and re-opened it, and it works. I probably forgot to save or restart SOMEthing somewhere. Oh, well.

So, if someone wants to insert the line into their "maps.mnu" file, there it is. It's great to have the "real" AP back, without the shiny new flower bushes that looked suspiciously like the ones in Nova Praetoria; they made AP look like Praetoria had established a foothold.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:33:57 PM by Super Firebug »

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #1268 on: July 05, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
To TonyV, Codewalker and anyone else working on ICON.

Please, please have patience with us. I know it can be frustrating to answer the same questions, over and over again. It might seem like "That's nice. But what have you done for me lately?" But it's not.

It is really more like a drowning man who has been tossed a board in the ocean. He incredibly grateful and he love's the board. It's the most awesome board in the history of the universe. Greatest. Board. Ever.

But he's still a drowning man in the middle of the ocean. Many of us feel lost at sea without COH. You guys absolutely rock and we'll try to be patient until you can drop a raft or a maybe even a lifeboat. But honestly,  until we find our way home we will always be lost, drifting until the patient sea swallows us up.

We'll do our best to cling to the board while you try and find us a path home. But hurry whenever you can, some of us are very tired.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #1269 on: July 05, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »
Are you using the latest version of Icon?

*cough*

Well. That fixed that. Much obliged and definitely in love.

powerfuse

• Underling
« Reply #1270 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
I was trying a bunch of /mov commands and I notice that some (but not many) do actually have effects tied to them. Some of the Katana animations have that air swipe effect, '/mov sledgehammer' will make your char continuously hit the ground with a large rock hammer with a dust effect on the ground when you hit it :P

Again I can't thank you guys enough for working on this, if I met you in person I would probably '/mov thank_a' :)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1271 on: July 07, 2013, 12:56:52 AM »

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #1272 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »
And with the transaction of money underway, we've opened these hard working coders to legal action by NCSoft.

The reason Icon slips under the radar is because nothing being done is utilizing extra assets. All of this material is already present on computers. Yes for people like myself, we got it via a Torrented file, but in theory the only assets being utilized are assets that were left behind on peoples computers after the game officially shut down. All Icon does is give access to those assets.

The minute Icon moves into "Private Server" territory - especially private server territory in which money is being exchanged - NCSoft has a rock solid case for Theft. At the very least, it would result in a big ol' Cease and Desist order by NCSoft which would effectively kill any future development of Icon.

Icon is a fitting memorial and at least for me gives me back the feature I most enjoyed about City of Heroes - The Character Creator (If my thousand plus alts over the game's lifespan is any indication). It can never be that which we lost, though. Heck, I'd say my ultimate dream is somehow tying the various maps together to re-create the city as a whole entity that we can journey through. The Pipe Dream, of course, would be to somehow turn City of Heroes - or at least some facet of it - into a Single Player experience. Which given my layman knowledge of coding is a daunting task even when you don't consider the kind of resource hog that would be on one's computer.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1273 on: July 07, 2013, 01:27:34 AM »
I disagree, strongly.

One - the whole idea is to develop a Community Server - that is being worked on right now, so this issue will come up anyway.  I repeat - a "private server" is already an explicit development goal here.  Surely you are aware that this has been discussed here on numerous occasions?

Two - If we don't distribute copyrighted content, NCSoft's got nothing on us.  In this "baby step," if all the server stores is a character name and X,Y,Z position in the game, then that is not copyrighted material.  I repeat, if we don't distribute that, we're in the clear.  That's been debated ad nauseam in other threads already.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #1274 on: July 07, 2013, 01:51:47 AM »
And with the transaction of money underway, we've opened these hard working coders to legal action by NCSoft.
(snip)

You should read this thread if you haven't already: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8695.0/all.html as it has posts covering and countering a lot of what you say already.

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #1275 on: July 07, 2013, 01:54:12 AM »
Icon is NOT a "memorial". I don't for one moment believe it was ever intended to be. It is a babysitter, until we can get back into Paragon again. Enjoy the jingly keys. ;)

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #1276 on: July 07, 2013, 02:16:56 AM »
Icon is NOT a "memorial". I don't for one moment believe it was ever intended to be. It is a babysitter, until we can get back into Paragon again. Enjoy the jingly keys. ;)

Damn. I can't find a GIF of the bit from Family Guy where Chris is lying on his back pawing at keys being dangled over him. Pretend that that GIF is here.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #1277 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
I stand corrected.

sawlight88

• Underling
« Reply #1278 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
is there a way to get the updated client if its not already on my computer? or are people who uninstalled game SOL???
Dr. Extraordinary.. Guardian, Controller lvl 50
Steel Statesman.. Protector, Tank lvl 50
Weather-Wizard.. Champion, Defender lvl 50

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1279 on: July 07, 2013, 08:25:25 AM »
also if its not a problem, message me help because sometimes these forums get clogged!
TL;DR: NO PLAYABLE PRIVATE SERVER AT THIS TIME. PERIOD.

is there a way to get the updated client if its not already on my computer? or are people who uninstalled game SOL???
http://www.savecoh.com/p/download-issue-24-beta.html
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.