Author Topic: well things got complex.  (Read 54769 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: well things got complex.
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:58 AM »
You've had six pages.  Cut to the quick: what exactly do you want?

A. All of us to say that we're all wrong and that you're right? (Even if we did, nothing changes.)
B. To sue someone?  (Go for it, but it's your own effort.  No one is helping you with this unless they explicitly tell you they are, and I doubt Titan Network wants to support a conversation like this.  Also, in no lesser form, count me out.)
C. To get us to sue someone? (I've got better things to do, Spartacus.)
D. Some weird amalgamation of all three of the above (least likely to happen... odds look worse than NCSoft responding to any of us.)

well, I was trying to maintain a bit more subtlety than coming here and blurting out "hey, you take it"

fact is I'm not that bold as to walk into a room of people and ask for anything, which is why this topic will never directly ask for anything.

instead a statement is given; I may not be able to follow through with filing a lawsuit to straighten out and possibly restart CoH, however the angle from which I intended to tackle this particular case is laid out in this thread, If someone here has the preverbial balls to go for the gusto as it were, even albeit before I manage to, then more power to you.

bassically if someone is willing to try and deal with this case against marvel and possibly NCSoft quicker than I will then by all means do it and I'll supply my basic strategy for doing so for your consideration.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2013, 05:34:20 AM »
/emote sigh... [puts all CoH boxes back on shelf and walks away from this thread]

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »
Never mind me I just couldn't locate any cookies earlier.

Your idea sounds legit bro, but we'll need a defense attorney. Or wait. Offense attorney lol.

I'm trying to decide between She-Hulk and Aggelakis.

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
well, I was trying to maintain a bit more subtlety than coming here and blurting out "hey, you take it"

fact is I'm not that bold as to walk into a room of people and ask for anything, which is why this topic will never directly ask for anything.

instead a statement is given; I may not be able to follow through with filing a lawsuit to straighten out and possibly restart CoH, however the angle from which I intended to tackle this particular case is laid out in this thread, If someone here has the preverbial balls to go for the gusto as it were, even albeit before I manage to, then more power to you.

bassically if someone is willing to try and deal with this case against marvel and possibly NCSoft quicker than I will then by all means do it and I'll supply my basic strategy for doing so for your consideration.

I believe anything can happen. I'll support you Joshex even if chances are slim. We all loved this game so much, yet people are giving up? What happened to to everyone wanting to "SAVE" CoX? Looks like they through in the towel and given up.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
I'm all for supporting getting COH back. But I am also realistic past a certain point. It is not even within the realm of possibility for someone without vast financial resources to try and sue NCSoft for the game. It is their property and no judge is going to say otherwise even if you have the money to get that far. But if any of us had that kind of money we could just as easily make an offer to NCSoft for the IP. Telling grandiose tales about "my friend who's a lawyer" working "probono!" fosters a false hope that is unfair to those that want the game back.

I believe unexpected things can happen. I don't believe unrealistic patently fantasy things will happen. Thinking anyone can "sue" NCSoft for the game is fantasy. The realistic possibilities include and are about limited, at this point, to Purchasing the IP (by a member of the community or  big financial supporter) or the most likely scenario: a Private Server.

I'm all for encouraging people to try even things outside the box to get COH back. But spouting forth any and every inane idea no matter how far from reality it may be does not help anyone and in fact hurts people. People are still hurting over the loss of COH. Giving them false hope and stringing them along is cruel. Take a page from those working on the private server. You know, the one we haven't a clue is anywhere near functional yet or even who exactly is working on it? Don't go stirring up that hornet's nest of emotions until you have something solid to show.

And if you do have an idea... for the love of Atlas Park try to at least keep it within the realm of REALISTIC possibility. That's not being negative. That's being realistic. I loves me some fantasy as much as the next person but fantasy won't bring COH back.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
I'm all for supporting getting COH back. But I am also realistic past a certain point. It is not even within the realm of possibility for someone without vast financial resources to try and sue NCSoft for the game. It is their property and no judge is going to say otherwise even if you have the money to get that far. But if any of us had that kind of money we could just as easily make an offer to NCSoft for the IP. Telling grandiose tales about "my friend who's a lawyer" working "probono!" fosters a false hope that is unfair to those that want the game back.

I believe unexpected things can happen. I don't believe unrealistic patently fantasy things will happen. Thinking anyone can "sue" NCSoft for the game is fantasy. The realistic possibilities include and are about limited, at this point, to Purchasing the IP (by a member of the community or  big financial supporter) or the most likely scenario: a Private Server.

I'm all for encouraging people to try even things outside the box to get COH back. But spouting forth any and every inane idea no matter how far from reality it may be does not help anyone and in fact hurts people. People are still hurting over the loss of COH. Giving them false hope and stringing them along is cruel. Take a page from those working on the private server. You know, the one we haven't a clue is anywhere near functional yet or even who exactly is working on it? Don't go stirring up that hornet's nest of emotions until you have something solid to show.

And if you do have an idea... for the love of Atlas Park try to at least keep it within the realm of REALISTIC possibility. That's not being negative. That's being realistic. I loves me some fantasy as much as the next person but fantasy won't bring COH back.

Yeah kind of wished TFHM followed this advice. Seemed like they knew or portrayed had insider in every major company that had an direct ear to head guy, the company will swoop in and buy the IP or go on a strike against NCSOFT if they don't sell and publically humiliate them or what not. Fantasy without thinking the realistic part that NCSOFT may simply not want to sell. Lot of false hope been going on and those that pointed out that it's stringing people emotions along got called stuff for it and hardly ever was it called realistic. Glad realistic thinking is prevailing now but it should have been prevailing from the get go.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
Yeah kind of wished TFHM followed this advice. Seemed like they knew or portrayed had insider in every major company that had an direct ear to head guy, the company will swoop in and buy the IP or go on a strike against NCSOFT if they don't sell and publically humiliate them or what not. Fantasy without thinking the realistic part that NCSOFT may simply not want to sell. Lot of false hope been going on and those that pointed out that it's stringing people emotions along got called stuff for it and hardly ever was it called realistic. Glad realistic thinking is prevailing now but it should have been prevailing from the get go.

Agreed

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
The people behind TFHM DID have insider information. Quite a bit of it. More than they let on.

The only thing I resent about TFHM is its unceremonious fizzling. The people behind it wandered off to other interests and promptly forgot about the hundreds of hearts and minds who were waiting and hoping to hear updates from them. That was, at best, an unfriendly thing to do to those people waiting and watching. Now, I can definitely relate to getting distracted by life and things, so when I say "resent" I ask you to take it with a grain of salt. I am forgiving about it, and I don't think any less of the people behind TFHM, and neither should you. Maybe they just got too sad to keep trying. I know the TFHM team incurred personal losses on top of everything else. I am grateful for everything they tried. Nothing takes away from that. I just would have preferred an announcement regarding the end of TFHM. It's still hanging there in its own sub-forum like rotting fruit on the vine.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:38 AM »
TFHM is still going on. It was limited to only 4 people at first.

One was VV and with her mother dying and being on the hook for a new book to write - she has obviously had a full plate.

Rae is still working on some efforts. I know I put forward a possible buyer and she is working on it. I am sorry that businesses don't operate in the full public and rarely do they want anyone to know what they are doing.

I know it all seems a bit cloak and dagger, sometimes it HAS to be.

You have 3 projects in the light of day, H&V, Phoenix and Valience.
You have at least 2 reverse engineering projects going.
You have at least 2 suggestions out with Disney and Google and there is a 3rd.

There is cause for hope. None of these is a certainty, I am sorry there isn't more to share but you have either possible legal entanglements or they quiet method businesses use to move on a property. I really wish it was more open but let me place you in the drivers seat.

If you had $10-15 million to spend and were trying to buy a game to restore it would you openly show your hand to have maybe it all to go south and raise the ire of people without need?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2013, 03:57:59 AM »
TFHM is still going on. It was limited to only 4 people at first.

One was VV and with her mother dying and being on the hook for a new book to write - she has obviously had a full plate.

Rae is still working on some efforts. I know I put forward a possible buyer and she is working on it. I am sorry that businesses don't operate in the full public and rarely do they want anyone to know what they are doing.

I know it all seems a bit cloak and dagger, sometimes it HAS to be.

You have 3 projects in the light of day, H&V, Phoenix and Valience.
You have at least 2 reverse engineering projects going.
You have at least 2 suggestions out with Disney and Google and there is a 3rd.

There is cause for hope. None of these is a certainty, I am sorry there isn't more to share but you have either possible legal entanglements or they quiet method businesses use to move on a property. I really wish it was more open but let me place you in the drivers seat.

If you had $10-15 million to spend and were trying to buy a game to restore it would you openly show your hand to have maybe it all to go south and raise the ire of people without need?

But if that the case, in hindsight, I wonder if it was worth announcing anything at all until something more solid that could be shared happened? Like instead of "hey we are contacting this guy that knows a guy" then silence. Maybe it would have been better to wait until, "hey, they got NCSOFT to the negotiating table."

Like right now, have there been a single blip of indication that either side is actually moving or NCSOFT is even interested in selling?

If I had 10-15 million. I don't think I would have spoke about it at all until things are certain. And if I do speak as has happened here, after a while, especially if there is audience, I would have the common courtesy to keep them updated. Even with generic information of the deals are going forward, they are still looking it over, they are not looking it over, they shredded it, they laughed at it, they loved it, etc. For people with inside information they sure don't know much. There are many ways to communicate without spilling the entire can of beans.

Believe it or not, assuming they actually do have inside information, they are not the only one, the first nor last that been in position of inside information and giving updates while maintaining information control. Remember I work for the gov. It's bread and butter especially when dealing with private contracts of new establishments and people outside asking and wondering what's going on. So I have a pretty good idea how these things work and the way it looks like either they over estimated their insider depth or they been blowing smoke. I don't think they been blowing total smoke.

Quite frankly anyone can claim to know someone that know someone on the internet.. While we at it, I know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that met this guy at Walmart that got an email from the secretary of this guy that knows the dog walker of this guy that live two cities over from this guy that knows a founder of Yahoo. Guess this means I have inside information to the Yahoo CEO.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2013, 04:13:37 AM »
Honestly? I'm pinning all my hopes on one of those two reverse engineering projects. I'm supportive and intrigued by the successors but even if they turn out to be super awesomesauce I still want good old fashioned COH back. I carry the hope that those people reverse engineering it will one day soon just slam us in the face with what they've been working on all this time and we can actually play again. THAT'S what I am truly waiting for. No matter how great the successors end up being I will always want COH back if for no other reason than posterity.

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2013, 04:42:56 AM »
I was kinda hoping someone switched the I24 harddrive out with a different one that was "wiped-honest" and smuggled the real one out to one of the Titan crew.   But I have a feeling that that didn't happen.  That sounds just like a mission you would find in CoH.  Dang I still miss that game.

-Fuegocito [Pinnacle]

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
Honestly? I'm pinning all my hopes on one of those two reverse engineering projects. I'm supportive and intrigued by the successors but even if they turn out to be super awesomesauce I still want good old fashioned COH back. I carry the hope that those people reverse engineering it will one day soon just slam us in the face with what they've been working on all this time and we can actually play again. THAT'S what I am truly waiting for. No matter how great the successors end up being I will always want COH back if for no other reason than posterity.

Yes. I feel the same. I can't help but feel I may be disappointed with the successors simply because they are not City of Heroes. By every measurable and conceivable standard they may be better. But I fear it still won't work for me.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
Yes. I feel the same. I can't help but feel I may be disappointed with the successors simply because they are not City of Heroes. By every measurable and conceivable standard they may be better. But I fear it still won't work for me.

I'm not so much worried about "living up to COH". No matter how great the successors are nothing can REPLACE City of Heroes. But the successors can carry on the legacy if done right and I hope they succeed in doing that. Nothing would please me more than to see the children that COH spawned going forth into the world and making successes of themselves. I'll probably be playing them. But there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the antiquated parent game and I daresay everyone who frequents these boards feels the same way.

We can love and support the kids without giving up the candle we hold for the parent.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
Nothing can replace our City!
I'm hoping at least one of the successors can help to fill the void.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »
Wild Eyed Waving Hands

You know, the more I read and ponder all of this, the more I think Josh IS the right guy to take this case to court.

It's crazy enough, it just might work!

You're going to need an attorney, a costume, and an air-blowing machine capable of completely covering the courtroom in City of Heroes boxes before anyone can switch it off.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2013, 01:22:46 AM »
You know, the more I read and ponder all of this, the more I think Josh IS the right guy to take this case to court.

It's crazy enough, it just might work!

You're going to need an attorney, a costume, and an air-blowing machine capable of completely covering the courtroom in City of Heroes boxes before anyone can switch it off.
I seen crazier ideas.