Author Topic: Thor: The Dark World - Spoiler-ish free review  (Read 6224 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Thor: The Dark World - Spoiler-ish free review
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »
Remember the first Thor movie?  Remember the amount of humor in it?  Well take that and multiply that by 10.  I mean it's not a comedy, there is some very serious and sad moments as well as hammer time but there is a lot of humorous dialog and gags. 

Kate Deming's Darcy's part has been expanded a lot.  And the 9th Doctor being subtitled often as the evil dark elf Malekith is alright.

The movie is surprisingly short.  Under two hours including the credits.  And yes, the extra scene after the fancy end credits is ... interesting.  Had to look up the party involved.  And the extra scene after the end credit roll is both schmaltzy and funny.

On one level it's a chick flick with the topless Thor slow pan and the star-crossed lovers.  On another hand it's a marvel action movie.  And on the gripping hand it's a light hearted comedy punctuated with set piece destruction and violence.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie.  It hit all the check boxes.  Stan cameo, check.  Avenger cameo, check.  Somewhat newer Marvel page flip opening credits, check.  I think it's better than the first Thor.

Other tidbits.

Check out Chuck as Fandral.  And is Hogun actually smiling?

Edit: fixed Doctor number.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:41:51 AM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Thor: The Dark World - Spoiler-ish free review
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
It was good

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »
it's not a comedy

That was the problem: it tried to be.  But it wasn't.  Selvig's character was at the top of a long list of adolescent embarrassments.

Also, it was a classic example of the sfx running the film instead of plot or character.

Very, very disappointed.  For the first time I felt they were coasting on the wave of the success of the Marvel films.

On the bright side, at least it should once and for all put to rest the question of whether the standard method of inter-zone travel in CoH was appropriate for superheroes. :-)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
I liked it well enough, but I wasn't disappointed I saw it at matinee price.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:29:28 AM »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:13:58 AM by Eoraptor »
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
Did learn this.. Jamie Alexander "Sif" was severely injured during filming, and could not complete a lot of her scenes http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173687-how-bad-was-jaimie-alexanders-injury-on-the-thor-2-set this explains why Sif's seemingly important rivalry with Jane just falls off a cliff, never to be heard from again.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

fdbryant3

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
I liked it well enough, but I wasn't disappointed I saw it at matinee price.

There isn't a movie good enough to make me disappointed I saw it at matinee prices.  I wouldn't of been disappointed though if I saw it full price though.  I loved it.  Especially the City of Heroes reference (okay, it probably wasn't a reference but COH was the first thing me and my friends thought of when we saw it). I'll leave it up to y'all to figure what I'm talking about.

Loki got the best lines and was the most fun.  Chris Hemsworth I think really got into the role of Thor moreso than he has before.  The action was awesome.

I didn't really care for Zach Levi as Fandral - I think it was something with the hair.  Sadly Cary Elwes is to old for the role.  The other thing that kinda bothered me is the mix of sci-fi/fantasy society with the Asgardians/Dark Elves.  Not sure why but it just didn't work for me. 

Overall though the movie was fun and in a rarity a better than its predecessor (although maybe that isn't so rare for superhero movies since typically the first movie has to be an origin story)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:53:27 AM by fdbryant3 »

fdbryant3

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »
Did learn this.. Jamie Alexander "Sif" was severely injured during filming, and could not complete a lot of her scenes http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173687-how-bad-was-jaimie-alexanders-injury-on-the-thor-2-set this explains why Sif's seemingly important rivalry with Jane just falls off a cliff, never to be heard from again.

Probably also explains why we didn't see her holding off the guards.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
I enjoyed the movie more than the first.  The humourous bits mostly worked for me and the action was good.  Loki was well done.  And the Warriors Three really got to shine, methinks.

And the 10th Doctor being subtitled often as the evil dark elf Malekith is alright.

Shouldn't it be the 9th?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »
I haven't seen the movie but I know its Christopher Eccletson as the bad guy so yes, its the 9th Doctor.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
Well, given what's going on in Doctor Who now you can probably also call him the 10th Doctor. :D

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
Isn't John Hurt doctor 11.5? 

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »

11.5 (or was it 12.5?) should be/was the Valeyard.  It could be that Hurt will be another version of that.  It could be that he'll be an aged 8th Doctor, or a Doctor 8.5.  In any case, it's too early to start calling Eccleston number 10.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »
I haven't seen the movie but I know its Christopher Eccletson as the bad guy so yes, its the 9th Doctor.

Yep, silly me.  Should have remembered "fall of the 11th" refers to Smith.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »

Since the previews show the time war that means before the 9th so 8.5?

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
I love how the "Thor" posting turned into a "Doctor Who" one.  There is never enough talk about Doctor Who.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 10:30:50 PM »
By Raselon's eye!

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.