Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7304064 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4300 on: July 10, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »
I know that I have fought him and taken him out solo, but I've also had level appropriate characters get stomped by him. He can do decent damage.

I'm commenting on the Adventure packs in terms of entertainment value for myself. I've done Demonflame four or five times and I've never encountered the glitch you're talking about. Not that it isn't there, but I've not hit it. I like the stories that are told in them. (Serpent Lantern can take a flying leap, though. Resistance needs to be shorter too, but I love the giant robot battle.) :D

Before the Incarnate stuff in COH, Task Forces would give you a badge and an SO for completion plus XP.   

And speaking for myself, the thing I do like about CO is that it is a very solo friendly game. It also doesn't have every enemy from 30 up equipped with someone who can stun, sleep, or hold you in pretty much every mob.  ;D

Which game would I want to team in? COH without a doubt. Which game would have more content for both solo and team play? COH again.

But CO does do some things well. It's costume creator is excellent with options COH never could have implemented. I enjoy the Become Devices for amusement (they mostly aren't effective in combat but then neither was the jetboard or magic carpet in COH).  It's certainly not for everyone, but then neither was COH.

Well long ago the demonflame glitch wasn't there now it is these days.  Honestly thing is, CO is just to easy and it's an htg.  I don't even feel the freeform system means anything with the fire and ice rampage since you have to play either pure damage/healer/tank in it unfortunately.  I prefered CoH for teaming on so many levels, CO I can play once in a while, like one month, then I'd move back to CoX for the rest of the year and just not get bored with it :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4301 on: July 10, 2014, 02:08:13 AM »
10 possible contacts that all send you on the exact same kind of story. really only 5 contacts as the Galaxy City contacts gave you the same mission as the Atlas ones did.

Go to warehouse. Beat up Gang/Council/Zombies. Report Repeat.

Oh also, no resolution. Maybe they planned to write arcs to tie the stuff up, but they didn't.

That said, if people want them back, just add a second contact when you emerge from the tutorial and then you can be off to beat up hellions in a burning building.

Habashy was like Faultline or Crotoa. Yes, it was the same story, but a good one.

I'm not denying some of the early arcs could use work, or that they could have been more explicitly tied to later content. But the fact of the matter is variety is needed. When CoV came out, it had ONE starting contact, and was eventually upgraded to TWO. That was a HUGE part of why I didn't get in to being a villain, and I think a large part of why I didn't have that many later-level toons - the overwhelming repetitiveness. Having one tutorial is fine, since it's designed for a specific purpose - but being forced to do the exact same mission right out of the tutorial over and over again is a terrible idea, IMO.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4302 on: July 10, 2014, 02:12:34 AM »
I'm not denying some of the early arcs could use work, or that they could have been more explicitly tied to later content. But the fact of the matter is variety is needed. When CoV came out, it had ONE starting contact, and was eventually upgraded to TWO. That was a HUGE part of why I didn't get in to being a villain, and I think a large part of why I didn't have that many later-level toons - the overwhelming repetitiveness. Having one tutorial is fine, since it's designed for a specific purpose - but being forced to do the exact same mission right out of the tutorial over and over again is a terrible idea, IMO.

Exactly.  CoH had variety in most areas, just the very beginning wasn't as good.  It'd get better(hugely) than CO just cause, well, get one character to 40 and you'd have done everything already, so if you do another 40 well, same thing all over again, even more-so since the games imbalances seriously discourage experimenting.

Understand it's a game I like once in a while but I don't defend it generally.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #4303 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:53 AM »
Hello all!

I haven't read everything here or know what's going on beyond CoH may be coming back?

I will say that if the char. data isn't there with the sale of CoH, I'm not sure I'd play to be honest.  I'd probably play but, I don't know...ugh..depends if my other Liberty peeps/SG mates play because I don't want to start all over.  *shrugs*  I'm not sure if I have the time (or I should say, "I shouldn't be playing games all the time again") to play even if I got all characters back with no loss of anything.

*shrugs*  I think I'm just too tired now to really think....so...bed time it is!

Keep up the good work and maybe something awesome will happen!

Thanks again!

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4304 on: July 10, 2014, 02:24:24 AM »
I secretly hope they bring back pre-I13 PvP somehow, I don't understand why Castle pushed that through against the extremely vocal majority who were against it.
Don't make it a secret: If it was at all viable I'd love if the could do that. I think one of the devs even expressed that it might even be possible to do something like that without breaking the game, though nothing ever came of it.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #4305 on: July 10, 2014, 02:25:16 AM »
This is why I want CoH to bring back the origin contacts for level 1 heroes. TEN possible contacts there - instead of everyone doing the exact same Habashy arc over and over again!

Agreed....I would have left the Habashy arc there....but reinstated the other contacts for variety.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #4306 on: July 10, 2014, 02:26:15 AM »
The exit game button was great.

Damn   Will some one PLEASE install a LIKE button?  LOL
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #4307 on: July 10, 2014, 02:28:34 AM »
Okay. So many thoughts. So little time.

1.) Yay new team trying to buy...WHATEVER IT IS YOU'RE TRYING TO BUY...from the NCSoft folks. Keep up the great work. IronWolf, thanks for everything. C'mere. *hugs* Okay, now get off me. You smell like dog food. Blegh.

2.) Regarding CO...whatever you do, DON'T BRING UP COH IN A CHAT CHANNEL ON CHAMPIONS ONLINE. Those people damn near chased me out of town with pitchforks! Hahaha. I kid, I kid. But in all honesty, I believe that a huge portion of the loyal CO players - in their heart of hearts - know that a big reason why nearly half of their gaming population even exists is because we all needed somewhere to go in attempt to satiate our COH thirst (no matter how poorly other games matched up in comparison). I think it's developed a bit of a bad taste in some of CO players' mouths towards the COH refugee community (and the COH players being all "LONG LIVE COH THIS GAME SUCKS" certainly isn't helping, granted) - but just my two cents. *shrugs* Still, I hope CO continues on if/even after COH reborn / COH2 comes out - the game really isn't that bad, I think. And I have managed to find some nice people on there. Oh, and....

It had potential to easily out-do CoX, but failed utterly due more because of trying to appease the wrong players constantly, and a tendency away from moderation.  The tragedy is that, unfortunately, CO was doomed long before CoX was even close to being shut down.  The developers were just way to backwards, or they were forced to copy other bad mmorpgs and the like.  Things like korean-style 10000 hour grinds for very trivial things rather than actual content only made it worst, along with over-buffing or over-nerfing things every time, or forcing the holy trinity to be required for the fire and ice rampage, CO's identity was destroyed over a long period of time by a lot of mistakes.

This, this, and this. I was talking to someone from CO on a chat channel the other night - nothing confrontational or argumentative, just idle chat - and they said that one of the reasons why they preferred CO over COH was because in CO, if they wanted to create a gun-slinging blaster type WITH sorcery/magic attacks WITH a damage-deadling fire sword, they could do that; but in COH, such character ideas/concepts weren't all that easily accessible. Lmfao. My feelings towards this opinion actually very much mirrored my feeling towards CO in general...very confused by a lot of things that are in theory SUPPOSED to be good things, but just come off as random and difficult. But, granted, each player has a right to like or not like certain things about a game. So to each his own! C'est la vie.

3.) Someone suggested only doing 1 - 3 servers at first, or in 'beta stage' or whatever. I concur. I think that'd be smart - if/when the game first starts back up again, I don't think the same numbers will be there from back in November 2012.

4.) I'm all about the new devs putting an Ascendant statue in-game. I was fortunate and lucky enough to be able to RP w/ him a couple times. He was a pretty incredible player.

5.) I'm not sure if ya'll have seen, but all of the efforts here on COH Titan have tooooootally spread over to the CoT Forums (they've started a thread about it - you could tell it was a bit of an elephant in the room over there). Regardless, I really hope that game continues on as well. I'd love to see where they're at with things a year from now (even though my main home will be in COH still). We should go show them some love.

6.) Also, everything I've said here is all just in theory b/c we don't even know for sure if we'll be getting the game back. This is all just hopeful/wishful thinking.

...But fudge, I wanna go back to Paragon.
Viva la Virtue!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4308 on: July 10, 2014, 02:31:50 AM »
....and CO will become a ghost town once more, on the day Open Beta starts.  ;D
co is almost a ghost town already :D
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4309 on: July 10, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
I secretly hope they bring back pre-I13 PvP somehow, I don't understand why Castle pushed that through against the extremely vocal majority who were against it.

FWIW, Castle often takes the blame for that because he was in charge of the powers team at the time. However, from post-mortem discussions with him and some other folks I'm pretty certain that he didn't actually want those PVP "fixes" in I13, but the order came from above him.

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4310 on: July 10, 2014, 02:40:22 AM »
Personally, I don't see how the loss of the account data something insurmountable. It should be easy,
  • have NCSoft make a backup of the account data, then edit it as follows:
  • Ensure that each account is given a unique and random identification (ID), preferably something like a CD Key (like: WI8WT-B32X9-JYULM-VGM81-1UYVB)
  • Purge any account data that has any Personal Information (names, addresses, credit card numbers, etc.)
  • Purge any information not related to CoX
What you're left with is the account ID, and all the CoX information (Characters on which servers, and all purchases, vet rewards, etc.). Then allow people to log into their NCSoft accounts, and get that unique ID. Create an account with the new owners of CoX, and enter that ID and it will transfer your old NCSoft information to your new account, and you have to enter your own Personal Information. If there is any problems (like "Someone stole my account!") the new owners can point at NCSoft and say that the problem is on their end, we had nothing to do with it.

P.S. When CoV came out, my friends and I played villains on Virtue (we enjoyed the pun), and mostly heroes on Victory. When Going Rogue came out, we dropped off of Virtue and played almost exclusively on Victory. And as far as the loss of CoX affecting the sales of GW2, I know of 2 copies of GW2 that didn't get bought because it had NCSoft on the box sometime after CoX shutdown was announced.
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
« Reply #4311 on: July 10, 2014, 02:41:43 AM »
I never understood why they made that change. I was noob back then I didn't understand a whole lot and it never appealed to me because of the way supression worked.
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4312 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »
This is why I want CoH to bring back the origin contacts for level 1 heroes. TEN possible contacts there - instead of everyone doing the exact same Habashy arc over and over again!

I nearly cried! I missed Kalinda! Look, I *liked* beating up Snakes, ok? If they wanted to add new contacts I am all for that, but don't be taking my Kalinda to make room for them!

SNAKES IN THE ARACHNOS BASE FTW

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4313 on: July 10, 2014, 02:52:48 AM »
Yeah CO had a few things.

The exit game button was great.

Seriously nearly spit out my drink

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4314 on: July 10, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
2.) Regarding CO...whatever you do, DON'T BRING UP COH IN A CHAT CHANNEL ON CHAMPIONS ONLINE. Those people damn near chased me out of town with pitchforks! Hahaha. I kid, I kid. But in all honesty, I believe that a huge portion of the loyal CO players - in their heart of hearts - know that a big reason why nearly half of their gaming population even exists is because we all needed somewhere to go in attempt to satiate our COH thirst (no matter how poorly other games matched up in comparison). I think it's developed a bit of a bad taste in some of CO players' mouths towards the COH refugee community (and the COH players being all "LONG LIVE COH THIS GAME SUCKS" certainly isn't helping, granted) - but just my two cents. *shrugs*

We cant discuss CoX in the CoX chat channel? Harsh :p That's the only place I have seen it mentioned so far, its not like its being discussed in Zone chat. maybe it is and Im not seeing it.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #4315 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:57 AM »
Personally, I don't see how the loss of the account data something insurmountable. It should be easy,
  • have NCSoft make a backup of the account data, then edit it as follows:
  • Ensure that each account is given a unique and random identification (ID), preferably something like a CD Key (like: WI8WT-B32X9-JYULM-VGM81-1UYVB)
  • Purge any account data that has any Personal Information (names, addresses, credit card numbers, etc.)
  • Purge any information not related to CoX
What you're left with is the account ID, and all the CoX information (Characters on which servers, and all purchases, vet rewards, etc.). Then allow people to log into their NCSoft accounts, and get that unique ID. Create an account with the new owners of CoX, and enter that ID and it will transfer your old NCSoft information to your new account, and you have to enter your own Personal Information. If there is any problems (like "Someone stole my account!") the new owners can point at NCSoft and say that the problem is on their end, we had nothing to do with it.

P.S. When CoV came out, my friends and I played villains on Virtue (we enjoyed the pun), and mostly heroes on Victory. When Going Rogue came out, we dropped off of Virtue and played almost exclusively on Victory. And as far as the loss of CoX affecting the sales of GW2, I know of 2 copies of GW2 that didn't get bought because it had NCSoft on the box sometime after CoX shutdown was announced.

Hmmm.... Seems viable. It'd be some work, but then again... Anything regarding the recovery of our data and matching it up to the proper accounts would be considered a good piece of work.

Here's hoping!
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #4316 on: July 10, 2014, 03:02:48 AM »

I wonder if I can find my old thread on the archived forums of "Arcs That Would Be Great If They Were Overhauled."

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4317 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:39 AM »
in CO, if they wanted to create a gun-slinging blaster type WITH sorcery/magic attacks WITH a damage-deadling fire sword, they could do that; but in COH, such character ideas/concepts weren't all that easily accessible. Lmfao.
Sometimes you just want to go off the grid a bit. I like that my staff wielding farmer (who looks like a demon because that's normal for his world) can summon a pair of raptors (which he calls goats) as combat backup. My dashing pirate swordsman having the option to pull out a pair of flintlocks to take out that annoying minion over there makes him feel more complete... Freeform when not abused can really help round out a concept with a few out of build tricks.

CoX went some ways towards enabling this with some of the craftable temp powers, and the upgradeable powers from vet rewards / packs. But I would have liked, and hopefully will be wanting to see in the future if things work out, a lot more options like that in the future.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4318 on: July 10, 2014, 03:05:13 AM »
We cant discuss CoX in the CoX chat channel? Harsh :p That's the only place I have seen it mentioned so far, its not like its being discussed in Zone chat. maybe it is and Im not seeing it.

I've had civil conversations about COH in CO channels, but there are some people who immediately get antagonistic when its mentioned. On the other hand, a lot of times what sets them off is someone saying, "This game sucks. I miss COH" or the equivalent.  ;D

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4319 on: July 10, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »

The CoX channel is safe, it was made for that.  But zone?  Trolls will home in on you with nuclear missiles.