Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7284677 times)

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #7780 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:21 AM »
Right, so. Demon/Poison Mastermind. Gonna reroll that ASAP, followed by my darkitty dark Scrapper. Unless we keep our peoples.

In which case I will pitch money into whatever fund hires prostitutes for the new dev team.

(Of whatever gender is preferred. I am an equal opportunity briber.)

Neutrio

• Minion
  • Omega neutrinos! Defend us!
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #7781 on: July 29, 2014, 04:01:41 AM »
I've heard of some devastating Ice/ controllers although they seemed rare and the newer Plant/ was a great control set as well.

My Ice/Stormie [LostConn2Mapsvr] was immensely fun to play -- never really got to far with his Incarnate powers or much of any real IO slotting done.  Still, it was fun freezing baddies.  Oh the fun watching them fall on their backsides in an Ice Slick  ... :)  ... of course that enjoyment could be offset by some of the lame-brained antics of Jack Frost /e shakesfist :)

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #7782 on: July 29, 2014, 04:11:27 AM »
There's one lesson, that the closing taught me, that I'll be taking with me back into CoX. I had gotten so wrapped up and engulfed in the game that the sunset announcement devastated me. So I'll be using more moderation this time, and maintaining more outside activities and interests - more of a life, as some would insultingly put it. I will definitely still enjoy it, but I intend to avoid letting it consume me this time. (If such thoughts be heresy, then so be it.)

I came to the opposite conclusion...I wasted soooo much time when I SHOULD have been enjoying it. If/when it comes back, I'll be playing it more...and smarter, after realizing just how many nuances I simply didn't catch because other games worked differently.

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7783 on: July 29, 2014, 04:34:17 AM »
You ever get into the zone where time has no meaning, you're just headbobbing to some music while playing your keyboard like some kind of flute- 1,2,1,3,1,2,1,4,1,2,1,5 until everything on your screen is dead or a teammate? That's Scrapperlock. It's very enjoyable and akin to a meditative state.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7784 on: July 29, 2014, 04:39:31 AM »
If it comes back I am going to try some combos I never tried. My first 50 was a energy/fire blaster..I had no idea what I was doing. I will be remaking rad defender and stone tanker. and a demon mastermind

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #7785 on: July 29, 2014, 04:39:48 AM »
You ever get into the zone where time has no meaning

A Shadow Shard TF?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7786 on: July 29, 2014, 04:44:42 AM »
A Shadow Shard TF?
Oh, GG. I wish you could have been there the April Fools day when we all convinced @Slainsteel that the Shard TFs were going into the Weekly TF pool.
It was glorious. I'd never heard so many swears in so many languages.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7787 on: July 29, 2014, 04:48:15 AM »
So Tony, on a previous post where you were summarizing what YOU understand of the situation, you mentioned that we were likely to know one way or another by the end of August

The August time frame is what "my guy" told me they're thinking based on various people's schedules.  But I cannot emphasize this enough--this is merely a not-set-in-stone guesstimate, and shouldn't be considered any more or less accurate than what Ironwolf has said. And yes, I encourage you to take everything *I* say as being whatever worth secondhand information is. We may also not get any kind of answer until after then.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #7788 on: July 29, 2014, 05:58:26 AM »
You ever get into the zone where time has no meaning, you're just headbobbing to some music while playing your keyboard like some kind of flute- 1,2,1,3,1,2,1,4,1,2,1,5 until everything on your screen is dead or a teammate? That's Scrapperlock. It's very enjoyable and akin to a meditative state.

The first scrapper I played regularly was Dual Blades, so my scrapper lock was less getting into a zone, and more "oh god hit the next combo power!"

There's one lesson, that the closing taught me, that I'll be taking with me back into CoX. I had gotten so wrapped up and engulfed in the game that the sunset announcement devastated me. So I'll be using more moderation this time, and maintaining more outside activities and interests - more of a life, as some would insultingly put it. I will definitely still enjoy it, but I intend to avoid letting it consume me this time. (If such thoughts be heresy, then so be it.)

That happened to me with my first SG. I thought hings were going swimmingly, but apparently there was some sort of drama in upper echelons, and one day I logged in with no SG and a mail message saying it had been disbanded. Turned me away from "guilds" in all games forever.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7789 on: July 29, 2014, 06:41:35 AM »

I was a controller empathy primarily.  I kept the same basic arrangement of powers across my power trays (usually single immob, targeted immob, hold, group fear/hold/something, group hold)....  For me, it was 3, 1, 2, 5, 3, 1, 2, 5, with the occasional 4 or, if things got nasty, Alt-1 for Recall Friend to pull the tank back before he face-planted.  :)

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #7790 on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:17 AM »
Understanding that's a guess, CW... I find the bolded part to be quite... amusing. :)

And I also am having a struggle with that, and the bit right after, regarding financial backing.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I see a bit of logic regarding it, but really... They're selling a game they shuttered.  Did they care what Cryptic thought about that?  I'm guessing they did not even consider it whatsoever.  Further, whatever NCSoft did with it past when they bought it from Cryptic, did you hear Cryptic crying foul?  No.  At least, I don't think so...

So why, after they sell it (assuming this happens to happen), and even if they demand their logo stay stuck on it, would they even care about their image?  "We sold it.  Not our baby anymore.  Good dang luck with it."

And if that's a hang up, well... they can have the logo removed, and it's no longer a problem.  Problem solved.

And EVEN IF it didn't prove to be a problem upon the sale of it, and it then was flying along quite nicely without them.. then in a year, say, things got bad in some way?  Why would it matter to NCSoft?  Because you shuttered it?  Then sold it?  And now you're not shepherding it, and you gave up control of it, but wanted your logo on the login screen?  And you're.... what... concerned about your image?!

Right. 

If that's a hang up... this is totally a wasted effort by the team trying to buy it.

Which dovetails into the financial solvency thing.  Again, it should not matter.  Why?

They're selling it.  It's not like once it's sold they have any stewardship over it.  It's not like they can swoop in afterwards and say "Oh, you paid us, but we think you need to relinquish control of it, you imbeciles.  We know best."

If they knew best, the damn game wouldn't have been shut down.  So no, you don't know best, NCSoft, go away (after you sell it.)

---

You'll understand if I seem a bit incredulous that these two things are even ON THE TABLE.  What the hell do they care?  It's closed.  Reopening under new management does nothing in regards to NCSoft's image or pocketbooks if it's a total sale. 

If it's a partial sale, with extra proceeds going to them as a percentage of profits?  Well, if I'm the team, frak that noise.  All or nothing.  Or why the HELL do you bother?

Whatever the sale, it needs to have ONE THING above all else... NCSoft is *out*.  They need to get their hands out of the game, and walk away once a deal is done.  For if they retain any control... then we have no hope that it doesn't live on. 

Come to think of it... the bolded part does, in fact, NOT amuse me.  At all.  :p

There are many factors involved why NCsofts would have concerns about the game after it has been sold. First thing, if they want their logo still on the product I can fully understand that they want a competent team that can run the game. Secondly, if the deal includes Development of CoH2 then thats also of big value to NCsoft. The deal may not include all the code. There are many factors. And we can only speculate. But i would care for something if I still have my name on it.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7791 on: July 29, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »
My Ice/Stormie [LostConn2Mapsvr] was immensely fun to play -- never really got to far with his Incarnate powers or much of any real IO slotting done.  Still, it was fun freezing baddies.  Oh the fun watching them fall on their backsides in an Ice Slick  ... :)  ... of course that enjoyment could be offset by some of the lame-brained antics of Jack Frost /e shakesfist :)

Of all of the pets out there Jack Frost was one of the more frustrating ones. I never saw a more lazy pet (controller/dom). Thus the joke "Jack on a coffee break". One of my friends would cast him in the middle of a group so he plays "tank" and die.

Of the Master Mind pets, I would have to put in All Ninjas, All Demons and Medic being the most annoying.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #7792 on: July 29, 2014, 07:32:58 AM »
If NCSoft sells the game to a company that can't take care of it...They look bad.
It's like bringing a friend to a party, and vouching for him. If he gets drunk and makes a jerk of himself...It makes you look bad.
Make no mistake, if they sold the IP/game to a group that ended up sucking...A lot of CoH players would turn the hate on them. "Why'd they have to sell it to some chumps? Why couldn't they sell it to Google, or just re-launch it themselves?".

Perhaps they're also testing out the personality of the people they're selling too. Are they going to sweet talk us now, and then turn around and make every billboard in CoH say "NCSOFT SUXS"?.

Perhaps trying to make sure these guys don't suck IS a face-saving measure... "If we make a show of making sure these guys are awesome, maybe the Ex-players will show us a little less hate"

In the end...It's all business. Is it fair for them to ask that the NCSoft logo remain on City of Heroes? Totally. They helped produce it, they maintained it for near a Decade. Just as it's fair for the Crypic logo to be on there.

We're seriously just a tiny pebble in the vast sea of NCSoft. CoH was their smallest game in terms of...well everything... It wasn't turning a profit (Granted it was paying for 2 other game development teams.) Nobody at the company had any ties to it, nor vested interest. It wasn't even available in NCSofts home country, or language. They needed to quickly cut a source of loss, and make a move that would make their board and investors happy.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7793 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »
I generally destroyed things so fast and such I didn't need to go for a cookie cutter scorpion shield build, :).  Although I could have slotted for defenses and I did, I prefered locationals over just smash/lethal/energy as, from my perspective of things, I figured sooner or later the devs were going to catch on and introduce other things.  Besides the character that I'd be tanking Reicksman or Battle maiden was likely one of my corruptors if it was a non brute, or my brute.  I had different characters with different design goals and usually I played them when I wanted to do something differently

Ya I was not a huge fan of the Black Scorpion build.  It really didn't improve my defense's that much when I gave it a whirl.  I actually rocked Electrical Mastery.  The armor from that wasn't too bad, plus the hold was nice to place on liet's while destroying all the minions and draining some end.  And later in the game I really came to enjoy using Web Grenade in devices.  Seemingly useless but great for keeping a boss at bay while you make him watch you blast his minions all over the place.  But there is no doubt that the Blasters mantra is "The best defense is a good offense.'

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7794 on: July 29, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
Getting back to the more important topic at hand:

Superteams:  Who has what available and what are the best known combinations available? 

So I have available:  Mind/kin (controller) [50+incarnate],   Zombie/dark (mastermind), [50], Bots/FF (mastermind) [35]. 

And should we get the game back (and our characters so I don't have to remake the above.  I'm planning on starting a Grav/Time (controller), and a Animal/Nature (mastermind)

As far as what combos would devastate:
A few of my pics are:
1.  The classic over powered controller: Ill/Rad (controller),
2.  The classic destroy all controller: Fire/Kin (controller)
3.  Personal favorite that I was introduced to with great synergy: Zombie/Dark (MM),
4.  The practically unkillable Bots/FF (MM)
5.  And of course, I'm very partial to my main: Mind/Kin.  I might even be willing to pick up speed boost for a super team :)

Of course, the better the player the better the controller.  I've heard of some devastating Ice/ controllers although they seemed rare and the newer Plant/ was a great control set as well.

What do you think, who wants to make up a super team of controllers and play an ITF.  Then Join up with a superteam of Masterminds (plus a few others) and hit the Ritki Ship?
I'm willing to join in with a wind/storm troller.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7795 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
Goddangit, my SS/Invuln tank was my first character.  I figured it would be a good first choice because there wouldn't be anything complicated involved - just wade in and start swinging.  Of course I started looking at the other types and came down with alt-itis fairly quickly.  I made and fell in love with a mind controller / empath (I justified the "healing" as "mind over body") and it ended up being my first 50.  It was squishy and didn't do a lot of damage so if I was soloing it required a lot of finesse and patience... which I actually came to appreciate and enjoy.

(  "Aww... but you don't get pets."  "It's okay.  I make my own pets."  :) )

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7796 on: July 29, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
Tonyv and all

I didn't want to quote a wall of text from a previous post, but I do want to say thanks for listening and not responding with disparaging remarks.  Much appreciated.  I wish I knew more about the Titan network before the game shut down.

Thank you
Duane

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #7797 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
My final Grav/Time build.. He was a Grav/Kin originally. This was much better.. Perma Hasten.. Perma Chrono Shift.. Perma Indomitable Will.. And a Nice Damage buff for the Singularity.. I called mine.. Disco...

snip..

Dude,  That's awesome.  And I'm totally jealous of the perma-hasten and IW.  Here's my very humble mind/kin

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Prime Knight: Level 50 Mutation Controller
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Kinetics
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Levitate -- Dev'n-Acc/Dmg(A), Dev'n-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Dev'n-Dmg/Rchg(7), Dev'n-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Dev'n-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Dev'n-Hold%(11)
Level 1: Transfusion -- Nictus-Heal(A), Nictus-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(37), Nictus-Acc/Heal(37), Nictus-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 2: Dominate -- G'Wdw-Acc/Rchg(A), G'Wdw-EndRdx/Hold(11), G'Wdw-Acc/EndRdx(13), G'Wdw-Hold/Rng(13), G'Wdw-Acc/Hold/Rchg(15), G'Wdw-Dam%(15)
Level 4: Repel -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(39)
Level 6: Confuse -- Pplx-Acc/Rchg(A), Pplx-Acc/EndRdx(17), Pplx-Acc/Conf/Rchg(17), Pplx-Rchg/Conf(19), CoPers-Conf%(19)
Level 8: Hover -- Zephyr-Travel(A), Zephyr-Travel/EndRdx(39), LkGmblr-Rchg+(43)
Level 10: Mass Hypnosis -- CSndmn-Acc/Rchg(A), CSndmn-EndRdx/Sleep(21), CSndmn-Acc/EndRdx(21), CSndmn-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(23)
Level 12: Telekinesis -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(23)
Level 14: Fly -- Zephyr-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Mesmerize -- Dev'n-Acc/Dmg(A), Dev'n-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Dev'n-Dmg/Rchg(31), Dev'n-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Dev'n-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 18: Total Domination -- Lock-Acc/Hold(A), Lock-Acc/Rchg(25), Lock-Rchg/Hold(25), Lock-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), Lock-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), Lock-%Hold(29)
Level 20: Siphon Speed -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(39), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LkGmblr-Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Terrify -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(33), Posi-Dmg/Rng(33), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), EndRdx-I(34)
Level 28: Recall Friend -- Range-I(A)
Level 30: Teleport -- TSM'n-EndRdx(A), TSM'n-Rng(45), Range-I(45)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- CoPers-Conf(A), CoPers-Conf/Rchg(34), CoPers-Acc/Conf/Rchg(36), CoPers-Acc/Rchg(36), CoPers-Conf/EndRdx(36)
Level 35: Transference -- Efficacy-EndMod/Rchg(A), Efficacy-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(40), Efficacy-Acc/Rchg(40), Efficacy-EndMod/Acc(42)
Level 38: Fulcrum Shift -- Acc-I(A), EndRdx-I(42), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 41: Indomitable Will -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(46), ResDam-I(46), ResDam-I(48)
Level 47: Psionic Tornado -- Posi-Acc/Dmg(A), Posi-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Posi-Dmg/Rchg(48), Posi-Dmg/Rng(50), Posi-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50), Posi-Dam%(50)
Level 49: World of Confusion -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Containment
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- ULeap-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Numna-Heal(A), Numna-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Heal-I(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- P'Shift-EndMod(A), P'Shift-End%(5), EndMod-I(5)
Level 0: Eye of the Magus
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Geas of the Kind Ones
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Vanguard Medal
Level 50: Cardiac Radial Paragon
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Storm Elemental Core Superior Ally
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:
  • 13% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 13% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 1.25% Defense(Fire)
  • 1.25% Defense(Cold)
  • 2.5% Defense(Energy)
  • 2.5% Defense(Negative)
  • 3.75% Defense(Psionic)
  • 5% Defense(Ranged)
  • 2.5% Defense(AoE)
  • 4.5% Max End
  • 5% Enhancement(Held)
  • 32% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 5% Enhancement(Heal)
  • 5% Enhancement(Sleep)
  • 5.5% Enhancement(Confused)
  • 37.5% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 5% SpeedFlying
  • 114.5 HP (11.25%) HitPoints
  • 5% JumpHeight
  • 5% SpeedJumping
  • Knockback (Mag -4)
  • Knockup (Mag -4)
  • MezResist(Held) 8.8%
  • 10.5% (0.18 End/sec) Recovery
  • 60% (2.54 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 3.15% Resistance(Fire)
  • 3.15% Resistance(Cold)
  • 3.13% Resistance(Toxic)
  • 3.13% Resistance(Psionic)
  • 10% SpeedRunning

drmanbot

• Minion
« Reply #7798 on: July 29, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
In regards to the deal, there are also (and forgive me if someone has pointed this out already) cultural differences that I as an American can't possibly understand. I am literally sitting in a Korean Bank in NYC auditing them at the moment, and the simplest thing such as exchanging business cards has a completely  different context. So what may appear as strange and unnecessary to us, can mean the world to them.

If it happens, it will happen on their schedule, on their terms. Its as simple as that.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #7799 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
FYI, got an email that Microcenter is having a sale on parts to build your own computer through Aug 1.  Don't know if it's a great place to shop, but my friends (he's software, she's hardware) took me there for my last laptop for work.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance