Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7291093 times)

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #10740 on: September 01, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Sorry to be a Negative Nancy, and I certainly don't want to detract from the team's efforts in any way, but
for me, this isn't really a champagne day -- I'm inclined to just wait and see if the new CoH's are any
good or not...  Trying to re-host I23 for a few months, start from scratch, just to have it go away again,
when they can't fix any issues seems ... pointless.
I kinda hope that SCORE, the orginal devs or the other people who have been dealing with the CoH code, will be able to hop in and offer their expertise on the CoH code.
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10741 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:32 PM »
I kinda hope that SCORE, the orginal devs or the other people who have been dealing with the CoH code, will be able to hop in and offer their expertise on the CoH code.
That's exactly the point - they won't *have* any code...

While it's possible, I can assure you that patching binary files with a hex editor is not a plan that inspires
confidence or reliability.

To be sure, they'd have SQL tables and configuration and various types of other text files they could tweak,
but that's not anywhere close to having supportable, compilable code.

Regards,

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #10742 on: September 01, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »
I am in! If they are brought back are the old characters going to be brought back too or would we be starting from scratch?

The existing user database and characters are not part of this arrangement at this time, nor is the source code.

No character data, at least as the deal stands currently.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #10743 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
I had planned to start over with new characters anyway, but losing all the stuff we purchased over the years and not getting i24 is a bit sad. Still, as others have said, I'll be happy just to get the game back. CoH is still the best MMO made in my opinion.

Starting from scratch will be fun.

I purchased a few things but I really enjoyed the game more before you could purchase stuff.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #10744 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:10 AM »
Here's the latest news...

http://www.examiner.com/article/details-revealed-of-negotiations-for-city-of-heroes-return?cid=rss

I had hoped for a new company, not already in the superhero MMO community, to have been the buy of CoX.

The existing superhero developers already have their own vision plans, which necessarily did not include duplicating the existing CoX environment, because at the time they didn't own any rights to it.

Now, will Missing World Media abandon their CoT approach, to create a faithful follow on to CoX, or will they work on both CoT and a follow-on CoX 2?

I rather doubt either will occur.

Probably, the eventual CoT will much more closely approach CoX, but it will not be anything like what we might have expected CoX 2 to have been.

"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #10745 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:04 AM »
I would hope to see an eventual merging of CoT & CoX, each with their own unique content merging to a common, transparent game system with portable characters (Alternate Universes as it were). . . But that's just a dream. . .  ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #10746 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »
That's exactly the point - they won't *have* any code...

While it's possible, I can assure you that patching binary files with a hex editor is not a plan that inspires
confidence or reliability.

To be sure, they'd have SQL tables and configuration and various types of other text files they could tweak,
but that's not anywhere close to having supportable, compilable code.
Regards,

I believe short of a NorCal dev showing up, CodeWalker is our resident expert when it comes to CoH's code. I do also believe I heard that CoH did not use SQL.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #10747 on: September 02, 2014, 01:02:59 AM »
Here's the latest news...

http://www.examiner.com/article/details-revealed-of-negotiations-for-city-of-heroes-return?cid=rss

I had hoped for a new company, not already in the superhero MMO community, to have been the buy of CoX.

The existing superhero developers already have their own vision plans, which necessarily did not include duplicating the existing CoX environment, because at the time they didn't own any rights to it.

Now, will Missing World Media abandon their CoT approach, to create a faithful follow on to CoX, or will they work on both CoT and a follow-on CoX 2?

I rather doubt either will occur.

Probably, the eventual CoT will much more closely approach CoX, but it will not be anything like what we might have expected CoX 2 to have been.

The current plan is for Missing Worlds Media to continue to develop and indefinately support City of Titans, and for APR to become a full successor/revamp for City of Heroes.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10748 on: September 02, 2014, 01:07:56 AM »
The current plan is for Missing Worlds Media to continue to develop and indefinately support City of Titans, and for APR to become a full successor/revamp for City of Heroes.

I thought APR was a husband and wife team? (at least that's what I heard) No disrespect meant but isn't that a tall order for two people?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #10749 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
I thought APR was a husband and wife team? (at least that's what I heard) No disrespect meant but isn't that a tall order for two people?

o.0 Husband and Wife? Last time I checked I wasn't married... Hrm. I might want to double check on that, I guess.

And yes, it is. If the deal goes through, I'll be expanding the Revival team quite a bit.
"Let's get dangerous..."

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10750 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21:57 AM »
o.0 Husband and Wife? Last time I checked I wasn't married... Hrm. I might want to double check on that, I guess.

And yes, it is. If the deal goes through, I'll be expanding the Revival team quite a bit.

If this deal goes through, expect plenty of volunteers! Also, offers to help you change that marital status.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #10751 on: September 02, 2014, 01:23:09 AM »
Re Knock back to knock down IO:

Another great suggestion. You can only have one per toon (unique) and it only effects the slotted power, correct?

Correct.

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
« Reply #10752 on: September 02, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »
I think I am a bit confused.

The announcement/info dump didn't really mention CoH2.

I'm just curious as to what it all means. Is APR going to be CoH2, in a sense? Or is the plan to use the IP parent company thing to license games to be made from the universe and in a sense all will be CoH2?

OOOOR

Is APR a way of preserving the original game, letting us continue playing the game after Windows 9 would become dominant. As they develop CoH2? This is what I thought when I first read the article but now I think the other maybe.

Either way I do like the idea of it all. I thank those working on it. Even the chance of having the lore in other games excites me. Keep it up. Good Luck and thanks so very much.
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10753 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:08 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks again to Ironwolf as we wouldn't have gotten this far without him.  ;D

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #10754 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/AtlasParkRevival is a better destination. The forum doesn't get as much T.L.C. as it should.

Not for those of us who avoid Facebook. :)
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #10755 on: September 02, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »
I thought that Facebook had already absorbed everyone.... Like the Borg...
"Let's get dangerous..."

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10756 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »

I like that plan. Avoid Facebook

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10757 on: September 02, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »
I thought that Facebook had already absorbed everyone.... Like the Borg...

A line had to be drawn somewhere.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10758 on: September 02, 2014, 02:21:21 AM »
A line had to be drawn somewhere.
they invade our space and we retreat, they assimilate whole worlds and we fall back, a line must be drawn here and no further. I will make them pay :D (st first contact)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #10759 on: September 02, 2014, 02:22:05 AM »

My coding skills are relatively non existent in regards to a task like this, but if you ever need someone to do the annoying grunt work of making a bunch of nearly identical files that have to be just enough different or anything like that... please keep me in mind! Repetitive menial tasks are sort of my specialty.
Woo! - Argent Girl