Author Topic: Leave us alone NCSoft!  (Read 5407 times)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Leave us alone NCSoft!
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:22:43 AM »
So I got an email a few minutes ago, inviting me into the Wildstar Beta this weekend.

Never have I so wished for an option which said "never email me again or I shall hunt you down and end you!"

Glob it triggered me so bad. I want nothing more than to crawl into the skin of my ice/axe tank or my dual claws stalker and just bust some heads.  :gonk: Fuck you NCSoft, and the syphilitic horse you rode in on!
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Leave us alone NCSoft!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 12:50:07 AM »
So I got an email a few minutes ago, inviting me into the Wildstar Beta this weekend.

Never have I so wished for an option which said "never email me again or I shall hunt you down and end you!"

Glob it triggered me so bad. I want nothing more than to crawl into the skin of my ice/axe tank or my dual claws stalker and just bust some heads.  :gonk: pancake you NCSoft, and the syphilitic horse you rode in on!

I on the other hand didn't get an e-mail but I have been downloading the beta for the last 12 hours (3Mb plan).  And it's a 10 day open beta.  Don't plan to buy it but I am curious to see what kind of SciFi MMO the former vanilla WoW team (and at least one Paragon Studio member) made.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:15:26 AM »
On facebook on the CoH survivors group, I couldn't have felt more annoyed about a thread about Wildstar today, especially since I got into an especially annoying conversation with a couple of "average mmorpg" players that seemed completely unable to get anything outside of end game and repetitive holy trinity grinding.  No matter what anyone said these players were of such a one track mind that it was especially annoying when they were saying stupid things like CoH was easy or that it's being "mind numbingly easy" as the reason it didn't need a holy trinity or anything.  It was actually very predictable but the I was left with an annoyed realization how dissimilar most of us CoX players were to such players, in that we tended to play more for fun rather then just end end end end and same tactic over and over again, we were actually playing the game to have actual fun with it.

But these players were so one-track minded that you couldn't even explain the concept of unpredictability and how it relates to fun to them, it went right over there head, like if it's not part of some routine to them it's a bad thing to them when in reality, most gamers play games that tend to do unexpected things alot longer then games that get repetitive or require a routine.  So I cannot explain how annoyed I am at Wild Star and NCSoft today.  Granted I don't blame Wild Stars devs, but I certainly am annoyed at the players who seemed to have forgotten what NcSoft has done.  Heck I think those who were more or less trolling me just joined the group just to troll us CoH players.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 05:03:26 AM »

I got the same e-mail and was equally annoyed.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
I get the same email for Wildstar betas and whatnot.  While exceedingly annoying, I do try to annoy them in return.  I have a standard response to NCSoft:

"DO NOT SEND ME ANY MORE OF YOUR WILDSTAR SPAM EMAILS!

When you shut down City of Heroes/Villains, you shut down the best MMO in existence. To that end, NCSoft is unworthy of any manner of support (i.e., my money) until such time as the City of Heroes/Villains servers are reopened permanently (even if its only Maintenance mode).

A while back I received an email from you stating that Wildstar misses me. Wildstar misses me? What a joke!! More like you miss my money, wouldn't you say?

However, I'll let you in on a little secret. NCSoft *can* have some of my money... *every month*... when City of Heroes/Villains is back up and running (I don't necessarily need all of my characters again, but it would be nice) and I can play with the best ever player community.

Go murder Wildstar instead and bring back City of Heroes/Villains, with the Paragon Staff you so callously let go. Also, advertise and market the game so it grows in the North American Market, like it should have been doing in the first place.

Also, don't be a hoarder, let City of Heroes/Villains escape the black pit you've put it in and sell it (at a reasonable price). Your stock value would probably skyrocket, and you'd get a nice injection of the money you want from the game you killed.

Kindly email me when you are finished making selfish decisions and either become a company that cares about its loyal customers or sell City of Heroes/Villains to a company that does care about its loyal customers.
"

I'm sure this makes absolutely no difference to NCSoft, but at least I can rest a bit easier.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:38:17 AM by TDGeorge »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
My junk folder received that email. I left it there.

I suppose I could have given them the standard JRanger response though...

That seemed to annoy a lot of the players, and the community Reps, on the CoH forums a lot.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »
I'm really excited for Wildstar, and refuse to punish a committed, entertaining dev group because of their choice of publisher - a choice which, by the way, was made long before NCsoft was even whispering about shutting down the game. (It's been in closed beta for nearly three years, with a couple years of in-house-only development before that.) Carbine are good people, the game is incredibly amusing and fun and a little bit different, and I'm stupid excited about owning my own floating island that I can decorate to look like damn near anything. <3
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 06:22:16 AM »
I'm really excited for Wildstar, and refuse to punish a committed, entertaining dev group because of their choice of publisher - a choice which, by the way, was made long before NCsoft was even whispering about shutting down the game. (It's been in closed beta for nearly three years, with a couple years of in-house-only development before that.) Carbine are good people, the game is incredibly amusing and fun and a little bit different, and I'm stupid excited about owning my own floating island that I can decorate to look like damn near anything. <3

Agree 100%

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »

Sometimes life deals you lemons.

In this case it's the presence of NCsoft for Carbine.

I will not affiliate myself with any game involving NCsoft until they sell or reopen CoH.

Carbine may well be good people but unless they have negotiated a contract that prevents NCsoft from being able to close the game down, I'd give it 18 months to 3 years tops before it bites the dust.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
I don't see this notice as a gloat.  I see it as a mark of desperation.

Think about the pressure that Carbine must feel at this point; it is a pressure other developers don't have.  Wildstar is designed by a western development house.  Wildstar is not a fantasy game.  Wildstar is also aimed at the Western market.  And NCSoft has shown, as made painfully clear to us, that it has no patience with that combination.  It didn't with Tabula Rasa.  It didn't with Auto Assault.  And it didn't with us, when push came to shove.

Other developers are allowed some space in which to grow and mature with their publishers.  Not Carbine with NCSoft.  If the game doesn't net massive numbers on launch day, and keeps those numbers, it'll be over in a year.  The risk that Wildstar will be a Tabula Rasa 2.0 is rather high.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
I don't see this notice as a gloat.  I see it as a mark of desperation.

Think about the pressure that Carbine must feel at this point; it is a pressure other developers don't have.  Wildstar is designed by a western development house.  Wildstar is not a fantasy game.  Wildstar is also aimed at the Western market.  And NCSoft has shown, as made painfully clear to us, that it has no patience with that combination.  It didn't with Tabula Rasa.  It didn't with Auto Assault.  And it didn't with us, when push came to shove.

Other developers are allowed some space in which to grow and mature with their publishers.  Not Carbine with NCSoft.  If the game doesn't net massive numbers on launch day, and keeps those numbers, it'll be over in a year.  The risk that Wildstar will be a Tabula Rasa 2.0 is rather high.

A very cogent point. NCSoft has a very bipolar relationship with the western market. they come crowing and crooning and cajoling every few years, and then change their minds after a few months, pull up tent stakes, and move back to Seol to cater to the korean market. and behind them they leave hurt feelings and a damaged relationship that can never be the same.

I feel sorry for the folks at carbine getting into bed with them. But that doesn't change or soften my tune. As you point out, there's already plenty of bad history there where the past should have proved prologue to Carbine and told them this is a bad idea. But just like girlfriends, videogame designers always feel like they'll be the ones to break the pattern and change the abusive producer.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »

It's worth pointing out, again, that City of Heroes is hardly the only game to have been killed off by NCSoft. And this has been going on for longer than Wildstar has been in development.

Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, Exteel. Heck, we can even throw Dungeon Runners into that list. They all have player bases that feel badly burned by NCSoft's whims. It's especially nasty in the case of what NCSoft did to get rid of Tabula Rasa, as they pulled what amounted to character assassination on Richard Garriott's part. Even today, after his lawsuit revealed just what kind of skeevy crap NCSoft pulled, he is still regarded as the "crazy space guy who walked out of his own game."

So, while someone can play and support the game with the reason that they won't punish a committed, entertaining dev group because of their choice of publisher ... I feel it's equally reasonable to avoid it with the rationale that you're not going to reward a publisher for their history of "discard-and-draw" tactics with the games they publish.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:56:39 PM by Little David »

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
NCSOFT isn't just the publisher.  Like ArenaNet they bought Carbine (in 2007).  Unclear if they have the same kind of "special" relationship that ArenaNet has.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ncsoft-unveils-carbine-studios/017482
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
Carbine are good people, the game is incredibly amusing and fun and a little bit different, and I'm stupid excited about owning my own floating island that I can decorate to look like damn near anything. <3

Don't get too attached to it, would be my advice.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 01:28:48 AM »
That's exactly how I feel about 'The Secret World'.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 02:05:50 AM »
Got the beta invite, decided to try it.

Kinda fun, but not enough to get me to end my boycott. Ah well.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 03:23:03 AM »
I'm really excited for Wildstar, and refuse to punish a committed, entertaining dev group because of their choice of publisher...

To me, this is a bit like people who make the argument that you shouldn't boycott Wal-Mart because even though they're an evil company, a lot of good people depend on it for jobs.  That may be true, but if you continue shopping there, you are implicitly condoning their business practices and nothing will ever change.

I've never disputed that Carbine isn't a perfectly good company, and I suspect that the developers who work there are fine, upstanding people who are unswervingly loyal and dedicated to Wildstar and making it as great a game as it can be.  That's what's going to make what I think will happen to them before too long a real shame.  And I'm not denying that Wildstar is a fun game; I haven't played it so I honestly can't say, one way or the other.

But two things that I do know is that: 1) If I spend money on Wildstar, that money isn't going to Carbine, it's going to NCsoft. To do so would be implicitly condoning their business practices, which I am not going to do. And 2) at any given time, NCsoft has the ultimate authority to pull the plug on Carbine and Wildstar, and history has proven that they're willing to even if the game is making a profit. Because Wildstar is an MMORPG, a genre of game that induces people to spend a lot of time, effort, and money on it, I'm not going to do so unless I have some reasonable expectation that the game will stay open as long as it is successful.  With NCsoft, I have no such reasonable expectation, therefore I'm not going to waste my resources on it.

Obviously, I'm not sitting around hoping that everyone at Carbine gets laid off, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  But practically speaking, that's exactly what I'm pretty sure is going to happen in the not-too-distant future (I am personally giving it two years maximum).  I also can't help but think that the damage NCsoft is causing to the MMO industry is greater than the good that Carbine is doing.  I'm convinced that it's just a matter of time--sooner rather than later--before the same thing happens at Carbine that happened at Paragon Studios, and the developers working their asses off right now to produce the best damn game they can are going to see all of their hard work and artistic creation flushed down the toilet when NCsoft cuts them loose.

Whether their eventual future was or wasn't foreseeable at at the time they inked the deal, my best advice to them right now would be to look for another job while they can still leave by choice instead of circumstance, and now that NCsoft owns all of your creative effort on Wildstar, find something else worthwhile without their taint to pour your heart and soul into.

Again, I harbor no ill will towards Carbine or Wildstar, or anyone who wants to play the game.  I do encourage you to keep a really close eye on your wallet and not invest much into the game, because as I said, I'm convinced that within two years at most, you're going to see any money and time you've poured into it disappear.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 05:27:33 AM »
My sentiments exactly, TonyV. Especially in light of what FatherXmas pointed out, that Carbine is directly owned by NCSoft.

That's exactly how I feel about 'The Secret World'.

With respect to whose comment, though?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 02:40:17 AM »
In respect to not getting attached to my character.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
NCSOFT isn't just the publisher.  Like ArenaNet they bought Carbine (in 2007).  Unclear if they have the same kind of "special" relationship that ArenaNet has.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ncsoft-unveils-carbine-studios/017482
They were structured identically to Paragon until December 1st 2012, when they were restructured to the same system Arenanet works under. This likely had to do with the shutdown of holding company NC Interactive Inc. 30 days later.