Author Topic: Recolored NPCs  (Read 5088 times)

Shidan

• Minion
Recolored NPCs
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:29:50 AM »
Is it at all possible to somewhow spawn NPCs recolored through MA? I'm like 99% certain that you can't, but I figured I should ask. Just in case.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: Recolored NPCs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:50 AM »
(I'm going to assume you mean spawning an NPC in Icon, and then using the load costume command to change them into the required NPC.)

When the game was up and running, yes you could indeed recolor most enemy NPC units in the game be assigning them into a custom enemy group and altering their costumes through a costume creator-like menu.  It didn't always work as expected depending on the enemy and the costume parts in question, but it did allow you a certain amount of freedom.  You weren't able to re-color their powers though.

Now, in order to spawn one like that, you'd need a costume file saved with the requisite information.  You MAY be able to take a look at a saved enemy group in MA that had custom colors and try to fit that formatting into what is in a .Costume file... but that'd take actually going in and editing the file in a text editor of some sort and then re-saving it as a .Costume file.  Then, you'd have to try it out.

You'd probably litterally have to go line by line in the custom enemy group file and look through exactly how the parts are documented and then HOPE that it can be matched up to the formatting of a .Costume file.  Man, that'd not be fun.

I very much doubt that it'd work, or be easy... but it's worth a shot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:06:02 AM by Thirty-Seven »

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
Yeah, I've looked into those files enough to know that they are similar, but not close enough to do that.

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
So I seem to have had some success. By using the /Be_npc command and the costume_save developer command, it creates a file that has all the information needed to recreate the NPC in the costume file. Then all that is needed is to change the scales and color. Though there are some oddities that arise from some pieces. If anybody has an idea on how to fix that, let me know.

EDIT:Ignore the belt, forgot to take it out before the screen.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:48:52 PM by tsunamininja »

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »
Thanks a lot, tsunamininja. I'll have to try it out later.  :D
Speech is given, silence is earned.

Byakuya523

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »
So I seem to have had some success. By using the /Be_npc command and the save_costume developer command, it creates a file that has all the information needed to recreate the NPC in the costume file. Then all that is needed is to change the scales and color. Though there are some oddities that arise from some pieces. If anybody has an idea on how to fix that, let me know.

So can you just recolor them or add/remove pieces also? And thx I'm gonna try this out
Nahar 50 Energy/Energy Blaster
DraconicSins 50 Fire/Fire Tank
Chaotic Princess 50 Robotics/Thermal Radiation MM
Kugari 50 Titan Weapon/Super Reflex Brute

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
So can you just recolor them or add/remove pieces also? And thx I'm gonna try this out
You can add and remove pieces.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »
Very cool!

I didn't know you could save costume files from within Icon, so that kinda changes everything.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 06:29:46 PM »
So I seem to have had some success. By using the /Be_npc command and the save_costume developer command, it creates a file that has all the information needed to recreate the NPC in the costume file. Then all that is needed is to change the scales and color. Though there are some oddities that arise from some pieces. If anybody has an idea on how to fix that, let me know.

I'm having a really hard time rapping my head around this. I used the /Be_npc command, but when I go to access level 9 and type in save_costume it tells me "unknown command." I've tried putting names in for the costumes, but get the same result. What am I missing here?

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
I'm having a really hard time rapping my head around this. I used the /Be_npc command, but when I go to access level 9 and type in save_costume it tells me "unknown command." I've tried putting names in for the costumes, but get the same result. What am I missing here?
My bad it's not save_costume, it's costume_save.

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:36 AM »
Okay, thanks. So now I have two more questions. The first is that I should keep the file in the "data" folder, right? (I also tried moving it into the costumes folder but that didn't turn out too well). Also, and this is probably going to sound stupid, but the normal spawnnpc line isn't working for this, nor is the benpc.

Byakuya523

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »
My bad it's not save_costume, it's costume_save.
was just about to ask about this haha thx. now will it save to the normal costume folder or will it make a new one?

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »
was just about to ask about this haha thx. now will it save to the normal costume folder or will it make a new one?
It saves it to the data folder. And the file is not in the same format as a .costume file, but it has the information for the costume pieces that you can transfer over to a .costume file through a text editor.

Okay, thanks. So now I have two more questions. The first is that I should keep the file in the "data" folder, right? (I also tried moving it into the costumes folder but that didn't turn out too well). Also, and this is probably going to sound stupid, but the normal spawnnpc line isn't working for this, nor is the benpc.
What I did first was change the file extension to .costume to try and load the costume and that didn't work. So I opened it to find it was in a different format, but had all the info on the costume pieces. So I just changed the info in a .costume file to match the info in the saved file. And I'm not sure what you mean about the spawnnpc and benpc not working. In what  way?

It's a little time consuming for just one npc, but it works.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:45:13 AM by tsunamininja »

Byakuya523

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 01:15:16 AM »
It saves it to the data folder. And the file is not in the same format as a .costume file, but it has the information for the costume pieces that you can transfer over to a .costume file through a text editor.
What I did first was change the file extension to .costume to try and load the costume and that didn't work. So I opened it to find it was in a different format, but had all the info on the costume pieces. So I just changed the info in a .costume file to match the info in the saved file. And I'm not sure what you mean about the spawnnpc and benpc not working. In what  way?

It's a little time consuming for just one npc, but it works.
ok thanks for the help tsunamininja

Fescu

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 01:56:23 AM »
And I'm not sure what you mean about the spawnnpc and benpc not working. In what  way?

My own inexperience with these kinds of things. I hadn't copied it into a .costume file. I think that explains a lot. Thank you very much for your help.