Author Topic: Things They Need To Fix  (Read 9710 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Things They Need To Fix
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:22 AM »
OK, this first post is a little of topic, but it my topic.

IMHO, AE babies hurt the game.
Perhaps remove AE from AP.

Farmers, really, with all the cool stuff.  Doing the same thing over and over.
I wonder how many farmers had the TFC Accolade?

Death from Below, oddly enough has nothing to do with submarines.
This trial sucked up all the newbies and didn't force them out of AP.

I liked the concept of the origin contact.
Play different origins and the game seems not so the same old same old.
That Matt guy got monotonous.

Paying to be PL'd.
First, just play the game.  Forget about getting to 50.
When 50 comes, it feels empty.
Just have fun, don't just guard the door.
I had about twenty level 50's and it was never a big deal.
They use to announce you, but that faded away.

If you focus on getting the 3 worthwhile accolades and doing the main content you'll be doing good.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
Re: Things They Need To Fix
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
1. You know what hurt the game more than AE babies... people trying to control the way other players ...played the game. If you didn't like AE babies (of which there truly were fewer than people like to say there were)... don't team with them. I teamed with plenty of people who had lots of badges who were horrible players.... just saying.

2. Again...why do you care about farmers? Worry less about the way others play and have fun. I was a farmer and I had task Force Commander on most of my toons..as well as Portal Jockey, Atlas Medallion, etc....

3. Death From Below.. uhm I never thought it had anything to do with a submarine. Please don't say things like "all" when it wasn't every single new toon that did the trial. I rarely did DFB... because I would just farm my toons ;)

4. I liked the old low level content as well. Not sure why it was removed when the new stuff was added. I was against that when it happened and vocal that less is not more.

5. Again...stop worrying about what Joe Schmoe is doing...and just have fun playing your game. Just because you think PLing a toon to 50 feels empty for you...that is not a universal feeling or truth. I loved when I dinged 50 through PLing... meant it was time to slot my toon up and get to town playing it.

6. If you would focus on your game and not everyone else... you will be doing good.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
4. I liked the old low level content as well. Not sure why it was removed when the new stuff was added. I was against that when it happened and vocal that less is not more.

I think some devs seemed to underestimate how many players would run their alts through the early content rather than just power level the characters to somewhere around level 20* nor did they really realize just how many alts some people had. Thus, it was though that "there wasn't a need for a large amount of lower level content".  Of course, I'm not a mind reader, so I may be off on that.

---
*Not that there's anything wrong with doing so if that's what you wanted.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
1. You know what hurt the game more than AE babies... people trying to control the way other players ...played the game. If you didn't like AE babies (of which there truly were fewer than people like to say there were)... don't team with them. I teamed with plenty of people who had lots of badges who were horrible players.... just saying.

2. Again...why do you care about farmers? Worry less about the way others play and have fun. I was a farmer and I had task Force Commander on most of my toons..as well as Portal Jockey, Atlas Medallion, etc....

3. Death From Below.. uhm I never thought it had anything to do with a submarine. Please don't say things like "all" when it wasn't every single new toon that did the trial. I rarely did DFB... because I would just farm my toons ;)

5. Again...stop worrying about what Joe Schmoe is doing...and just have fun playing your game. Just because you think PLing a toon to 50 feels empty for you...that is not a universal feeling or truth. I loved when I dinged 50 through PLing... meant it was time to slot my toon up and get to town playing it.

6. If you would focus on your game and not everyone else... you will be doing good.

Thanks for a great reply BT.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »
OK, OK, play anyway you want.
I don't care really.
I was just ranting.

I guess what I meant was COH had so much to offer, I felt bad for those that didn't know that.
Experienced players can have fun skipping content and whatever.
I also forgot that sometimes you needed to farm to get enough money to build you're toon.

But I don't get paying for PLing.
But I also don't get PVP.
So it's no big deal.

For the record I would never tell people how to play.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:40:26 AM »
OK, that cleared up, sorry for the confusion.

Things that they should fix.
Give the NoFx option to more powers.
Imagine dual pistols without the animation if you want.

A junk dealer where salvage can be bought and sold at sane prices.

More later.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:04:56 AM »
OK, this first post is a little of topic, but it my topic.

IMHO, AE babies hurt the game.
Perhaps remove AE from AP.

Farmers, really, with all the cool stuff.  Doing the same thing over and over.
I wonder how many farmers had the TFC Accolade?

Death from Below, oddly enough has nothing to do with submarines.
This trial sucked up all the newbies and didn't force them out of AP.

I liked the concept of the origin contact.
Play different origins and the game seems not so the same old same old.
That Matt guy got monotonous.

Paying to be PL'd.
First, just play the game.  Forget about getting to 50.
When 50 comes, it feels empty.
Just have fun, don't just guard the door.
I had about twenty level 50's and it was never a big deal.
They use to announce you, but that faded away.

If you focus on getting the 3 worthwhile accolades and doing the main content you'll be doing good.
I agree with removing the ae building out of atlas.
While I myself don't like power leveling, I think as long as it does not interfere with me playing or my team, then who ever farms should be able to do so. If I remember correctly close to 45% of the stuff on the market came from farmers, if I am incorrect please correct me.
Death from below I never really thought of this is about subs but about something hidden underground think secret world esk.
I agree with you about the origin contacts, to me they felt unique. While being boring as well.
As for you paying for pl, please look at my second comment.
When I hit 50 with 15+ characters they all felt awesome and well worth the time I put into them.

One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 03:00:13 AM »
I loved my demon farm.
I ran it with my 50+.
I really liked helping the 40's get to 50.
But I never invited a level 10.
And I never asked for one red influence.
Influence was red right?
I think my first post didn't come out right.
I'm not auguring against farming or power leveling.
I'm just saying that the game is rich in content.
And besides, if you have TCF then you're not what I was ranting about.

Oh, and it is a little embarrassing to see a lvl 50 asking in broadcast in Atlas Park how to get to Steel Canyon.  Unless it was a joke.
But I take it back, AE babies didn't hurt the game.

I guess I just can't stand the thought of people ragging on COH, because all they did was door sit.  And now they think that it is a boring game.

Should I stop or just keep digging myself deeper.
In for a penny in for a pound.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
And I never asked for one red influence.
Influence was red right?

Influence was Blue.

Infamy was Red.

Information was Gold.

Inf was what I saw most though.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:13:31 PM »

BTW, If you really prefer the vapid origin contacts to Matt Hashby, just street sweep for the mob of your choice and you pretty much have it. They offer no story or arc, they not referenced later in the game, they are all essentially beat up this kind of thug. I can't imagine that you really played these. The were all essentially the same story just with different thugs per origin.

The reason they took them out was because basically few people were running them and with the launch of Freedom they wanted to give new players to the game a single experience, not a confusing one. It's why the shooting star arc that follows immediately gives Vets lots of information they don't need.

I had a hundred alts and I would rather play  Hashby on every one them than investigate the burning warehouse with hellions one more time. There were multiple paths in Hashby and you actually got to make choices that effected gameplay. It could even change what you saw in Atlas Park. What was comparable in the origin arcs?

That low level stuff wasn't for vets, it was for the new players that were signing up to play freedom. Frankly, vets don't need any content below 10. There were multiple ways to level a new character to 10 if you were a vet. DFB, Sewer runs, AE, Streetsweep, Radios after 5th level. New players don't know that but vets do (or should).

I honestly think nostalgia is the only reason people want these origin arcs. They are not good content. I know they were there when you started playing, but they offer almost nothing. Maybe the new devs will put them in Oro in CoH2 so no one will run them there.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:57 PM »

I agree with Burnt Toast.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »
if they are doing a coh2. love to see them do a def build or a full offance builds. one thing about old coh cant do all attack or all def builds.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 12:22:55 AM »
if they are doing a coh2. love to see them do a def build or a full offance builds. one thing about old coh cant do all attack or all def builds.

Uh, seriously? You're saying that you want LESS offense than a single unslotted Tier 1 blast and Brawl? Or, conversely, more offense than a Fire/Fire Blaster with 12 attacks?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
the only thing I think needed changing ASAP is to put tell and chat back in. seriously, how can you have a social MMO game, when you can't directly communicate with other freaking players beyond spamming either the local or help chat channel? The glory of COH was that it was a community based around a videogame, not a grind fest where people occasionally talked at each other.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
the only thing I think needed changing ASAP is to put tell and chat back in. seriously, how can you have a social MMO game, when you can't directly communicate with other freaking players beyond spamming either the local or help chat channel? The glory of COH was that it was a community based around a videogame, not a grind fest where people occasionally talked at each other.

Agreed.  The anti-freebs paranoia resulted in way too many restrictions on new and freemium players coming to or back to the game.  How did anyone expect people to stick with the game if they couldn't use / do half the cool stuff in the game?  I think the 2 character limit should have been the extent of it.  After all, alt building was the game's backbone.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
yeah, two or three character limit works okay in STO and other games, but suddenly you realize that you're actively hindered from participating because "WTaF? I can't talk back to people trying to talk to me?"
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »
In CoH, /reply worked, if I remember right. Backspace might have. Freebies just couldn't initiate tells.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 04:28:01 AM »

Tells were a tier 2 reward... spend $15 and you had access to them. There were chat restrictions before Freedom..these were not meant to punish free/trial players...they were in place because before that we got spammed uncontrollably by gold farmers..who used...free/trial accounts. I didn't think putting tells at a tier 2 was asking a lot.. I mean... we kept hearing how the free players were spending SOOOOO much in the market it truly shouldn't have been a problem for any of the free players... just saying.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 04:38:07 AM »
I didn't see the point in restricting communication in an MMO.  Especially one that went free to play in order to attract new customers.

We had global /ignore for the RMT spammers already.  And you could restrict your emails to your friends list as I recall.

Meanwhile the newbies couldn't join server channels so they rarely knew when a TF was forming as most of that type of stuff formed there.  You had to spam broadcast or local to get them.

It was an impediment to teaming with newbies imo.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 06:27:33 AM »

I really couldn't care less about the free players, but I have to disagree with your statement about the way "most" TFs started... Server channels really? I've seen MANY tfs start just because someone was standing by the contact...I've seen many start because they were started by a SG.... I've seen A LOT start because of friends starting them... I even saw quite a few start in... the... HELP channel. So no.. I do not agree that MOST were started on server channels....at all.

I'm sorry you feel that a person who has never paid one penny should have access to all the chat channels... because frankly I don't think they deserve access at all. If these free players were such a boom to the CoH economy this would have been a non-issue as they would have spent way more than what was needed to open up every chat channel to them. I don't think catering to people who are not customers (customers BUY things) is a smart business decision. If you can't spend $15 on a game...I don't consider you an asset to that game or the future of that game. Now let me be VERY clear here.. I had absolutely NO problem with Freemium players; especially ones who were higher tiered...they at least invested at one point in the game. Freebie players are what I am talking about here...the ones who never paid anything and yet still wanted to be treated like a paying customer.

You must not have been around for the spam fest that was the RMT Gold Farmers... I applauded the Devs actions in restricting trial accounts as well as free accounts once Freedom launched.

I didn't see the point in restricting communication in an MMO.  Especially one that went free to play in order to attract new customers.

We had global /ignore for the RMT spammers already.  And you could restrict your emails to your friends list as I recall.

Meanwhile the newbies couldn't join server channels so they rarely knew when a TF was forming as most of that type of stuff formed there.  You had to spam broadcast or local to get them.

It was an impediment to teaming with newbies imo.