Author Topic: Defiance Season 2  (Read 2024 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Defiance Season 2
« on: August 01, 2014, 12:34:37 AM »

And anyone else watching it?

I do think it's a show that Syfy can do well: not really requiring a huge FX budget.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Defiance Season 2
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »
I might be an episode or two behind.  It's not bad.  But lets be honest, most guys are tuning in for those nearly naked moments of Jamie Murray.  And Stephanie Leonaidas and Julie Benz, depending on your are, are pretty cute too.

Last ep I saw has now made me dislike Nolan intensely.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 01:43:00 AM »
I might be an episode or two behind.  It's not bad.  But lets be honest, most guys are tuning in for those nearly naked moments of Jamie Murray.  And Stephanie Leonaidas and Julie Benz, depending on your are, are pretty cute too.

Anna Hopkins (Berlin) is a QT3.14159, too!

I quite like the show. Jaime Murray, beyond being gorgeous, is knocking it out of the park with her portrayal of Stahma. Mad acting chops...   In fact, the acting and directing are a cut above the usual for sci-fi TV series (and way, way above the usual for SyFy). The writing's a mixed bag. They pretty clearly decided to buy deeply into the "sex sells" maxim this season, with mixed results. Most of the scenes appear to be just what I suspect they are: tacked on bits to appeal to the cliche sci-fi demographic. Other times, it actually made sense with the meta-plot and character development.

Overall, it's one of the very few shows I watch regularly.

The game, on the other hand, has derailed horribly. It's one of the only games I know that's gotten incrementally worse since launch. Not in the one-fell-swoop, SWG:NGE way (although a couple of the sweeping gameplay changes have been similarly moronic and despised). Instead, the game has actually gotten buggier and buggier as it's gone on. Of course, gutting the development studio after launch and replacing them with a skeleton crew who weren't the original coders will do that to most any game. A pity, as it had become my go-to game for about a year. About ready to uninstall it at this point, though.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:27:20 AM »
I like Julie Benz, thought she's been good in most things she's done.  BUT....her acting on this show is terrible.  I criticized her last season, but chalked it up to possible writing issues.  She comes off like a precocious teenager doing a monologue for drama class.  I'm coming to the realization that she's just not good here.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
I like Julie Benz, thought she's been good in most things she's done.  BUT....her acting on this show is terrible.  I criticized her last season, but chalked it up to possible writing issues.  She comes off like a precocious teenager doing a monologue for drama class.  I'm coming to the realization that she's just not good here.

Yea but she's a recovering "space heroin" (an io9 review term) addict this season, pining for her dead sister and being cheated on by action sheriff.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
To be honest, I am getting highly disappointed at season 2. Season one left me with that "I want more" feeling but season 2, despite it started well, is oing rapidly downhill and, if they make actors sing again at the end of an episode, that'll be last nail in its coffin for me.-

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
Yea but she's a recovering "space heroin" (an io9 review term) addict this season, pining for her dead sister and being cheated on by action sheriff.

One of my biggest pet peeves on series TV is the introduction of "let's make them addicted to something".  It's usually several seasons in when they don't have something for the character to do or they are running out of ideas (I'm looking at you ER). 

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:01:14 AM »
I think tonight's episode was pretty good.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:55:31 PM »

This season of Defiance isn't quite as good as the first one, IMO, but I'm still watching it. It'll be interesting to see if it gets a third season.