Author Topic: Heroes Vs. Villains  (Read 4982 times)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Re: Heroes Vs. Villains
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:21 PM »
Call it a personality disorder if you like, but for me, in real life, I was never a very nice person. I've changed my ways since 2008, but I've seen and done enough evil to last me a lifetime. Pretending to cross those lines for badges was almost too close for comfort for me.

I have to give the CoH dev team credit. Aside from the silly spider bit with "Arachnos" and all that, redside was never red for me, but very, very dark and creepy. The music was perfect for it. The snake/lizard things, pretty much all of the non-humanoid NPCs were creepy to me. In short, it just wasn't fun there for me.

As for the ATs - I certainly think, after playing several tanks and scrappers to incarnate levels, (50+3), that the brutes were vastly superior to both.
The dominator - well, I was trying to get the hang of mine, called Osmosis, an electric/electric dominator - but I was probably playing her too much like a controller and not enough like a dominator - whatever that playstyle would be. For me, there were attacks that were awesome, but even with domination, the damage was too little, too slow. I never took the chance to play different powersets with it, probably because I wasn't having that much fun with the first run through with electric.

I got the beast mastery MM - he was undefeated at level 19, I think. Just never finished playing him because of the shut down, and because I enjoyed the incarnate content more than the lower level stuff. The MM is certainly worthy of note. With an intelligent player who knows about keybindings and such, I suspect the MM can be an incredible amount of fun and a lot of power. But, I can't fully express an intelligent opinion with only a level 19 under my belt.

As for the Fortunata and the crab/spider thingy - I hadn't been able to figure out a proper origin for either of those to consider trying them.

The Corruptor - a very interesting AT. If one of those had been around when I first started playing, a blaster with buffs - that's a nice combo. Stronger than a defender, weaker than a blaster as far as damage goes, but with enough buff potential to sort of even the odds. For a player like me, a Corruptor is a much better choice than a defender, and for sub-level 35, a better choice than a blaster. After level 35, though, a blaster can have sufficient defense to not really need those heals and buffs as much. Obviously, different players will have differing opinions and experiences. For me though, a blaster is better.

When the game returns, if we don't have to start from square one, I'll be playing the dominator and the corruptor and MM primarily because of my limited experience with them and want to learn more about them.
But, if we're back at square one, it'll be the blaster or brute for me, or maybe a controller.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »
Well I liked Melee characters in COH and I played a lot of scrappers I tried the Brute but the furry mechanic sucked I hated having to build up my furry to get the damage I wanted. Yes yes it was easy to build after a while and all but sometimes when I soloed I have to stop and go do something and then have to start all over just freakin annoying so I hated playing Brute.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
I was never much of a melee player, I had a couple Tanks, but never leveled a Scrapper out of single digits.  That said, I did like the Brute.  Fury was meshed in with my play style of speed and efficiency.

I had issues with my (lone) Dominator.  I couldn't get into a groove with its mixed melee and ranged attacks. What finally resolved it for me was remembering my initial impression of its archetype, i.e. a Dominator was the Dev's twisted answer to the Blaster community's request for some crowd control capabilities to improve Blaster survivability.  With that, I ditched most of the melee attacks (just kept a couple of big hitters) and concentrated on ranged attacks and ranged controls slotted for damage, and played accordingly: as a Blaster.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
I was never much of a melee player, I had a couple Tanks, but never leveled a Scrapper out of single digits.  That said, I did like the Brute.  Fury was meshed in with my play style of speed and efficiency.

I had issues with my (lone) Dominator.  I couldn't get into a groove with its mixed melee and ranged attacks. What finally resolved it for me was remembering my initial impression of its archetype, i.e. a Dominator was the Dev's twisted answer to the Blaster community's request for some crowd control capabilities to improve Blaster survivability.  With that, I ditched most of the melee attacks (just kept a couple of big hitters) and concentrated on ranged attacks and ranged controls slotted for damage, and played accordingly: as a Blaster.
this was how I played my first year, I could not get into melee, so I had all of the types of blasters. Than one day I was like lets try a scrapper after a few months I fell in love with it, and made more.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 04:50:39 AM »

As a (mostly) soloist, that's what I like about Dominators. The "root 'em and shoot 'em" combination works pretty well to keep most of my targets at a respectful distance, which reduces the melee damage that I take. It's kind of like using Hover to stay out of melee range.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 02:53:25 AM »
 Villain side was too dark dreary and depressing.. the maps were way too dark.. I liked a lot of the AT's especially Brutes and Dominators.. when GR came out I turned all my villains into Rogues so I could play both sides.. and team with whoever I wanted and whenever I wanted..

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
I only ever had a couple of villain characters, I always felt bad having to do villainous things and never much enjoyed it.  :P

Though I did enjoy playing my warmace brute and one of my most memorable moments in the game was gradually working her through the morality missions. I really enjoyed moving from doing 'iffy' things to more and more outright heroic things, and it ended up timing perfectly to switch to hero side in the very last week of the game.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
I prefer playing Hero archetypes better. I do play the hero side more than the villain side. When the alignment system was introduced I was bringing my heroes to the dark side. I don't like playing Villain archetypes. I tried playing a Mastermind and it didn't work out for me. I do enjoy playing the villain side but, sometimes it gets complicated.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
I bleed red... ;) Honestly though it was because I preferred the vill side At's in PvP, I had plans to bring my MM over to blue just because like most of you have stated, the population was lacking. The maps redside were very poorly designed, even mercy was extremely difficult to get used to when CoV first came out. None the less I can say I spent a solid 85-90% of my time vill side once it was available. I had always wanted a pet based class, having the one controller pet at 32 just didn't really cut it for me, it sucked even more that gravity was so unpowered because the singularity looked sooo gorgeous to me. I wished vill side had more themed areas rather than "let's just make it cloudy with brown/tan colors." I loved it all don't get me wrong, but these were some of my "first world problems". Any who that's my two cents.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
I rolled most of my toons redside.  I liked the missions better there.  When the morality system hit I went rogue with most of them, though, so I could hang out in the blueside zones and do mishes there.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »
Personally, I just enjoyed Hero side more. It seemed like everything on the Villain side had to be twisted and grungy in a very put-on way.

Also, I'm not sure if the devs lost a zone designer around that time or what, but it seemed like when CoV came out the maps got less interesting.

Atlas Park *felt* different from Steel Canyon, Galaxy City, Kings Row and every other Hero zone. In fact, in most of the original hero zones, you could just spin around and know immediately where you were. Each zone had its own personality.

Everywhere in CoV felt to me like a Victorian junkyard where goth spaceships had landed.