Author Topic: Doctor Who "Deep Breath" (spoilers possible)  (Read 4967 times)

Mental Maden

• Boss
Re: Doctor Who "Deep Breath" (spoilers possible)
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
In Who related news. http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/08/karen-gillan-als-ice-bucket-challenge-pink-ranger#more She's so awesome and this video is just her kind of kooky weird.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 03:06:22 AM »
Why? They've been partners (the PC word for lesbian lovers) in every episode they've appeared in. It's not interesting. It's just an extension of their relationship.

I know they have been but it seemed like they were being very unsubtle in saying they were married a bunch of times as opposed to how it had been handled in the past.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
I know they have been but it seemed like they were being very unsubtle in saying they were married a bunch of times as opposed to how it had been handled in the past.
Someone on my slash fic home pointed out that. It seems less down to any actual structual change to their characters, and more to it being hammered home repetedly and clumsily in this particular episode tot he point of excess, as though the writers had only recently become aware that "gay marriage" is a thing and wanted to use it as often as humanly possible.

personally I find the almost Dominance/submissive aspect of their relationship far more compelling.  8) they claim it to be the act of a housemaid and her Dutchess to fool the public, but clearly it continues on behind closed doors.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Korbian

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 06:15:36 AM »
All in all, I loved the episode.  But...  :P

As much as I love Vastra, Jenny, and Strax, I'm not quite sure why they received so much screen time that wasn't crucial to the plot.  I know part of it was to show off their "sonic devices"- Vastra's hatpin, Jenny's gauntlet, and Strax's lorgnette.  Those nifty props were the winning designs of some really talented kids who entered a BBC contest.  Part of me also hopes it was to gauge audience reaction, as I know a spin-off has been discussed, at least among the fans.  I would watch the heck out of that.   ;D  As for the nature of Vastra and Jenny's relationship, I agree that it's probably a political statement of sorts.  Moffat has been taking a lot of flak for his portrayal of female characters lately.  Not to mention that classic Who featured strong women who were very into the equal rights of women.  Vastra and Jenny kind of tackle gay rights and the strong female thing in one fell swoop.

I'm also very bored with Moffat's pandering to the fandom.  He did it all throughout the Christmas special with the shaved head/eyebrows gag, and the letting Matt's Doctor get old and live a full life so the fans wouldn't feel like he was being taken too soon or whatever (at least that's what it felt like to me).  And now he does it with the "accept me for who I am now" routine with Clara.  I understand that the show has reached new popularity levels with all these new young fans that are in love with their hot Doctors, but when you basically stop the show for a while just to send a message to all those fans, or even just to make a joke (as with the "delicate" eyebrows), you lose integrity.  Next he'll just be picking up some fan fiction and making episodes out of that.

Am I being too mean?  I'm sorry, I'm getting tired, and it's been a while since I've gotten to rant and/or rave about Doctor Who.  ;)

Other than that, I loved it.  Very curious to see where they will go with it.  So many references and possible clues!  I'm also amazed at how easily I just accept Capaldi as the Doctor without reservation.  I attribute it to his love for and familiarity with Doctor Who, and also to the fact that I've been catching up with classic Who, and have been through several regenerations recently anyway.

P.S.- I have no idea how to punctuate around parentheses, so apologies if I've offended any grammar fanatics out there. 

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
A theory I just came up with.  What if in a future episode, Donna Noble accidently runs into the new Doctor?  She would recognize him from Pompei.  I wonder if that would trigger her memories?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
All in all, I loved the episode.  But...  :P

As much as I love Vastra, Jenny, and Strax, I'm not quite sure why they received so much screen time that wasn't crucial to the plot.  I know part of it was to show off their "sonic devices"- Vastra's hatpin, Jenny's gauntlet, and Strax's lorgnette.  Those nifty props were the winning designs of some really talented kids who entered a BBC contest.  Part of me also hopes it was to gauge audience reaction, as I know a spin-off has been discussed, at least among the fans.  I would watch the heck out of that.   ;D  As for the nature of Vastra and Jenny's relationship, I agree that it's probably a political statement of sorts.  Moffat has been taking a lot of flak for his portrayal of female characters lately.  Not to mention that classic Who featured strong women who were very into the equal rights of women.  Vastra and Jenny kind of tackle gay rights and the strong female thing in one fell swoop.

I'm also very bored with Moffat's pandering to the fandom.  He did it all throughout the Christmas special with the shaved head/eyebrows gag, and the letting Matt's Doctor get old and live a full life so the fans wouldn't feel like he was being taken too soon or whatever (at least that's what it felt like to me).  And now he does it with the "accept me for who I am now" routine with Clara.  I understand that the show has reached new popularity levels with all these new young fans that are in love with their hot Doctors, but when you basically stop the show for a while just to send a message to all those fans, or even just to make a joke (as with the "delicate" eyebrows), you lose integrity.  Next he'll just be picking up some fan fiction and making episodes out of that.

Am I being too mean?  I'm sorry, I'm getting tired, and it's been a while since I've gotten to rant and/or rave about Doctor Who.  ;)

Other than that, I loved it.  Very curious to see where they will go with it.  So many references and possible clues!  I'm also amazed at how easily I just accept Capaldi as the Doctor without reservation.  I attribute it to his love for and familiarity with Doctor Who, and also to the fact that I've been catching up with classic Who, and have been through several regenerations recently anyway.

P.S.- I have no idea how to punctuate around parentheses, so apologies if I've offended any grammar fanatics out there.
No no, not mean... I've felt the past three seasons have all spent toooo much time playing up to the internet based fan reaction rather than writing stories which serve the characters. though, ironically, neil gaiman's episode about the tardis WAS technically fan fiction, and it is generally well recieved LOL.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor