Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712302 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #3920 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Cryono

« Reply #3921 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
well i'm glad this is relevant

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3922 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:14 PM »

That damn Andre Delambre is at it again...
(NOBODY will get the reference.  Probably not even with a Google.)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3923 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:44 PM »
The Fly
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3924 on: October 31, 2014, 12:04:51 AM »
The Fly

Yeah, but how does the cat fit in?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3925 on: October 31, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
The initial test was on his cat.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3926 on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
The initial test was on his cat.

Good... the cat vanished, never to be seen again.  Until the end of the novella.  When at his wife's insistence he goes through the machine one more time and emerges... with the cat's head!

I'm thinking thats Andre/Dandelo there!

100 internets for you!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3927 on: October 31, 2014, 12:34:57 AM »
Good... the cat vanished, never to be seen again.  Until the end of the novella.  When at his wife's insistence he goes through the machine one more time and emerges... with the cat's head!

I'm thinking thats Andre/Dandelo there!

100 internets for you!

I never read the novel, only watched the movies.  I knew the cat vanished in the original movie forever but it's never brought up, instead the doctor becomes a pacifist out of guilt for accidentally "killing" the cat.  Maybe I should see about the novel but then I'd be half spoiled....
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3928 on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »
I never read the novel, only watched the movies.  I knew the cat vanished in the original movie forever but it's never brought up, instead the doctor becomes a pacifist out of guilt for accidentally "killing" the cat.  Maybe I should see about the novel but then I'd be half spoiled....

If you've seen the 1958 movie then you already know how it runs.  There are some subtle differences.  In the short story he's French; in the movie he's French Canadian.  That sort of thing.  But the movie is pretty close to the story.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3929 on: October 31, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »
If you've seen the 1958 movie then you already know how it runs.  There are some subtle differences.  In the short story he's French; in the movie he's French Canadian.  That sort of thing.  But the movie is pretty close to the story.

Yeah thats the one I saw.  I admit it was in many ways better done as a story, it wasn't as scary as the 1980s movie but the 1980s movie was all about scaring the person watching it more than it's story.  What makes me feel bad about the scientist in the 1958 movie is how the scientists mind was slowly degrading from the experiment on himself, and how the half of him that transfered to the fly was killed by the spider in the end.  Quite horrifying in a more subtle way than the 1980s movie.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3930 on: October 31, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »
Yeah thats the one I saw.  I admit it was in many ways better done as a story, it wasn't as scary as the 1980s movie but the 1980s movie was all about scaring the person watching it more than it's story.  What makes me feel bad about the scientist in the 1958 movie is how the scientists mind was slowly degrading from the experiment on himself, and how the half of him that transfered to the fly was killed by the spider in the end.  Quite horrifying in a more subtle way than the 1980s movie.

The spider web thing was horrific and freakin' scary!  The attacking spider belongs to the movie.  In the story his brother, Francois, finds the fly in a spider web in the garden weak but still alive.  He crushes it and buries it in a matchbox at Andre's grave.

It was originally published in Playboy. The whole story is a whopping 30 pages of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents stories for late at night" (which is how I have it) and includes the classic "It's a Good Life" where evil little Anthony wishes people he doesn't like deep into the cornfield.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3931 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:16 AM »
Nice!  Well, purchased a horror game on steam tonight.  Spec Ops: The line.  Been wanting to grab it for a short while :).

So I'll be getting mighty scared tonight and tomorrow after I do the various things I need to do tomorrow.

Also grabbed serious sam 3......so that'll hold me over a little while while I wait for CoH to come back or VO to update, which I think VO is updating soon to.  Especially with the kickstarter up for that game.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #3932 on: October 31, 2014, 02:36:09 AM »
SS3 is a blast, I've been cooping it with hubby.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3933 on: October 31, 2014, 06:00:04 AM »
I was playing spec ops while I waited for SS3 to load.  And holy mother of god does that thing terrify you.  Events of my playthrough so far:

Defended myself from insurgents....

....fought through more but hostage died.....

....fell into an ambush...

....then americans mistook me for jerks leading the rebels and attack me.....

...so I end up feeling especially rotten....

...a civilian jumps in front of me just before some americans and I felt bad enough had to stop after finishing that chapter...

...so I continue a half hour later and some tense moments came up, walker looks like crap....

....try to save someone and the civilians die and he dies anyways....geesh game stop it already....

and well. "the" scene comes up and i'm left feeling like a psycho....

....am I still sane?  :*(

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3934 on: October 31, 2014, 06:04:51 AM »
SS3 is a blast, I've been cooping it with hubby.

I think i'll play it tonight.  Balance the horror game and the fun game LOL.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3935 on: November 01, 2014, 03:52:46 AM »
Nice!  Well, purchased a horror game on steam tonight.  Spec Ops: The line.  Been wanting to grab it for a short while :).

So I'll be getting mighty scared tonight and tomorrow after I do the various things I need to do tomorrow.

Also grabbed serious sam 3......so that'll hold me over a little while while I wait for CoH to come back or VO to update, which I think VO is updating soon to.  Especially with the kickstarter up for that game.

Spec Ops the line is a horror game?  I thought it was more so about the atrocities of war and blindly following orders.  A great horror game out there (or demo I should say) if you are a horror lover is a game known as PT.  It is a demo for the next silent hill game, and boy is it freaking creepy.  I don't know where to find the download but its free.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/silent-hills/P.T._Demo_Walkthrough  if you want to take a peak.

Disclaimer - If you don't like creepy horror themed things, then just avoid the link.  It's not bad but still screenshots of a horror game.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #3936 on: November 01, 2014, 04:26:13 AM »
no that game wasa game that was made to tell people who bought it that they were horrible for playing video games. one of those stupid 'deconstruction of the genera' pieces of nonsense.....errr in my opinion - i am thankful i didnt buy it.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3937 on: November 01, 2014, 05:37:56 AM »
no that game wasa game that was made to tell people who bought it that they were horrible for playing video games. one of those stupid 'deconstruction of the genera' pieces of nonsense.....errr in my opinion - i am thankful i didnt buy it.

You always were a kidder, Steve.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3938 on: November 01, 2014, 06:13:38 AM »
Spec Ops the line is a horror game?  I thought it was more so about the atrocities of war and blindly following orders.  A great horror game out there (or demo I should say) if you are a horror lover is a game known as PT.  It is a demo for the next silent hill game, and boy is it freaking creepy.  I don't know where to find the download but its free.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/silent-hills/P.T._Demo_Walkthrough  if you want to take a peak.

Disclaimer - If you don't like creepy horror themed things, then just avoid the link.  It's not bad but still screenshots of a horror game.

Firstly I am not a fan of "scary puzzle" games that many survival horror games tend to be(hated the tank like controls and the fact that such games, truely, were puzzle games in disguise and almost always are).  But I was more focused on the overall atrocities of war and that war indeed is not a thing to take casually.  It tends to horrify the player with things that can and do sometimes happen in war.  Indeed I can certainly see the deconstruction of modern military shooters in it.

But a game doesn't have to be a puzzle game to scare the crap out of you.  Try playing FEAR sometime.  Enemies jumping out or things unexpected happening that give you a sense of dread is scary, but solving puzzles and then beginning to feel that the entire thing is a puzzle just kills it for me.  Note my opinion of dead money and why I hated that DLC so much, not cause it was hard, but because it was nothing but a "scary puzzle".

It's not focused on just video games in general, more the jingoistic pro-war modern military shooter.  Those games it's always americans saving the day from either russia or middle east or some other area in the world where jingoists tend to be scared of.  Games that treat war as a very, very casual thing that it really shouldn't be treated that way, especially when those same games try to be serious but fail.

It doesn't target any other genre, just the pro-war modern military shooter that acts like war is nothing but an action game where the good guy ALWAYS wins.

Edit: Will say that I do enjoy non MMS games a lot.  Serious sam, duke nukem 3d(not it's MMS sequal which IS an MMS), shadow warrior.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:46:41 AM by LaughingAlex »

Cryono

« Reply #3939 on: November 01, 2014, 04:02:25 PM »
wait am i missing something?

did this thread just ban on-topic posts or something