Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712389 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #5740 on: June 09, 2015, 05:00:11 AM »
Maybe this more unique to my situation but I never upgrade right away or even for the first year or so.

You'd have to be insane to be one of the first people on Earth to push the big red button to upgrade to 10.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't get the free upgrade.

Honestly I do the same thing FFM does: run the beta in VMware, and I'll likely run Win10 in a VM for a while before upgrading my main hardware rigs (software VMs are fine because I can roll them back or restore from backup in a snap).

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5741 on: June 09, 2015, 05:07:54 AM »
You're generalising.  Was it problem free? No, but there were far less issues caused by MS than people make out.  When Vista came out I was running an old Pentium 3 at 2ghz, 4gig RAM and a Radeon 8500.  It multi-tasked just fine, didn't have any problems with my home network, didn't suck up all my 500gb drive, and all my USB peripherals worked just fine.

A good 90% of all the "problems" people experienced were down to media vitriol and 3rd party driver issues.

Emphasis mine

Just a point of order; adarict mentioned multiprocessor support not multitasking, and as I recall Vista did have some issues with multi-socket motherboards.  I had a Tyan that barfed on that one.

Perhaps ironically, it wasn't *old* hardware that Vista had issues with, it was intermediate hardware, like 4 year old stuff just left of mainstream.  Odd or off-brand USB peripherals, for example.  It seemed it if was old enough, Vista had drivers for it, and if it was new enough Microsoft made drivers for it, but the stuff in the middle was the real crap shoot.  Not old enough to be old hat, not new enough to be sexy enough for the work.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #5742 on: June 09, 2015, 10:38:41 PM »
I'm not updating to Windows 10 until I know at minimum that gameguard gets its act together and recognizes Windows 10 as a valid operating system. (Because right now PSO2 won't run on Windows 10 because of that).

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5743 on: July 06, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »
Happy Birthday Downix  :D

Any good news on the horizon  ;)

Surelle

« Reply #5744 on: July 06, 2015, 02:07:39 PM »
Happy Birthday Downix  :D

Any good news on the horizon  ;)

How do you know his birthday?   :P

And as for the second part, no no no shush now!  This is what started the entire Facebook Scoundrel Fiasco last time.  Don't even ask.  If something definitive and positive happens, they'll announce it, and if not, then clearly we know that too by the lack of any announcements.

So look around the forums.  There's your answer.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5745 on: July 06, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »

Because at the bottom of the Forum page it has a "Upcoming Calender" which advises of members birthdays, it happens to be Downix today. If he put his correct DoB in of course.

It wasn't a serious question as per wink at the end :) As I'm on the forums daily throughout the day I'll find out anything the same time as everyone else no doubt, but nothing wrong with asking the question, you never know he may even respond on this special day...  ;)  ;)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5746 on: July 06, 2015, 03:05:22 PM »

And as for the second part, no no no shush now!  This is what started the entire Facebook Scoundrel Fiasco last time.  Don't even ask.  If something definitive and positive happens, they'll announce it, and if not, then clearly we know that too by the lack of any announcements.

See, this attitude is actually getting quite annoying now.  It's been a year, we should be asking what's going on; we deserve to know.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5747 on: July 06, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
I for one don't deserve anything. Well not anything good anyway.

Happy possible birthday though, and even if it's not we can still celebrate the rezzing of this thread.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5748 on: July 06, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
See, this attitude is actually getting quite annoying now.  It's been a year, we should be asking what's going on; we deserve to know.

I may be in the minority on this subject, but personally, I don't feel I deserve to know nothing until it is done. At best the only investment I have currently is memories (emotional investment I guess you can say.) Time, money, efforts, and all the others stuff that goes into actually getting the game, I did nothing to contribute to this point, so basically I'll just wait till either a yea or nay is announced.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5749 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »

If my chronology is correct, this all started with a leak from someone not authorized to discuss, which then compelled them to respond.  Had they voluntarily announced themselves, I think its easier to make a case they put themselves in a position to respond to update requests.  But since they did not, I don't think they have that same obligation.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #5750 on: July 06, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
I just assume there is nothing to announce at this point. If a deal was closed and they were in a position to announce I believe they would. Same if the deal fell through.

I work in an industry where deals can take years to close, all the while everything is under NDA (even the fact that a deal is in discussion). As much as I'd love to hear news, I'm not surprised all is silent right now.

At the very least we have Paragon Chat tomorrow, that is something I'm very excited for. :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5751 on: July 06, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »
I work in an industry where deals can take years to close, all the while everything is under NDA

I work in an industry where sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to get out of bed, all the while playing clash of clans under the covers.

Photon Cannon

• Underling
  • The Novablade
« Reply #5752 on: July 06, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
I work in an industry where sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to get out of bed, all the while playing clash of clans under the covers.

Okay, I laughed at that. Kudos.
(Supergroup) Zephinerahk: (( Pie is not an element.
(Supergroup) Engel auf Holle: ((YES IT IS))

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #5753 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »

Ughh I wish. What I'd give if I could stay in bed an extra hour and a half (which would be 6:15 for me). On the plus side, I leave at 4 to head home to the wife and kids so it's not all bad.

Also, CoC was addicting. I played until TH 7 and stopped for some reason or another.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5754 on: July 06, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »

No the idea that we deserve something is getting annoying.  We don't deserve ANYTHING

We aren't paying them to do this, we didn't hire them to do this, they aren't doing this out of a debt, they aren't doing this because they have a gun to their head.

They choose to do this and we can show our thanks by minding our own business and keeping our entitlement in check.

If you want to be in the know then do something to help them and contribute to the cause and I am sure they would make you privvy to some information.  But standing on the side lines doesn't entitle you to anything, cheerleaders don't sit in on team meetings.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:48:10 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5755 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
No the idea that we deserve something is getting annoying.  We don't deserve ANYTHING

We aren't paying them to do this, we didn't hire them to do this, they aren't doing this out of a debt, they aren't doing this because they have a gun to their head.

That people are getting annoyed by the lack of information is also understandable.  That's why you do not discuss these things unless you know what the end game is.  That's why the devs tended not to pre-announce stuff too early.  That's why I said leaking this was a mistake.  It was probably an honest mistake, but let this be a lesson.  One day you'll (the general you) be in a position to know something.  You'll want to share.  You'll want the pleasure of dropping hints or making announcements.  You'll want to be recognized as someone who informed the rest of the world about something.  Its a pretty, powerful, deceptively innocent impulse.  Its also one of the most destructive ones you can have.  Never write checks you can't cash, and absolutely never write them on someone else's account.

The anxiety of being in the dark is a common, natural feeling: even I'm not immune to it.  Have mercy on the negotiating team, this wasn't their fault.  Have mercy on the people going crazy about the lack of information, this also wasn't their fault.  Even have mercy on the original leaker, because this wasn't their intent.  But remember, for the next time someone wonders why we aren't hearing about something or even for the next time you hear about something.  Is the discussion of that thing ultimately going to be good for the discussers, or not?  That should be a guiding principle for wondering why certain topics should or should not be openly discussed.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5756 on: July 06, 2015, 08:39:27 PM »
I'm still seriously wondering, though, why there is such a COMPLETE clamp-down on information. Certainly nobody involved wants to give out details, but it seems to me that the existence of negotiations, and that they are proceeding, is something that both sides should want. Silence just slowly devalues the property, which is not good for the current owner or the proposed future owner.

It's like a movie that is being worked on... you don't spoiler information, but you do spoil the fact that the movie is being worked on, or planned, etc. Because in entertainment, being discussed is good for almost any property. I can't see how, as long as details are not revealed, either party would be hurt by revealing officially that there are negotiations going on. If there were competitors, maybe... but as I understand, there are no other buyers competing for the property.

It could be a culture thing, but I see it as a lost opportunity for the future, letting CoH fade from gamer consciousness so that if it ever does get revived, there will be thousands of past players who have not given it much thought in the last year, and so don't pay attention to news regarding its revival.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5757 on: July 06, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
I'm still seriously wondering, though, why there is such a COMPLETE clamp-down on information. Certainly nobody involved wants to give out details, but it seems to me that the existence of negotiations, and that they are proceeding, is something that both sides should want. Silence just slowly devalues the property, which is not good for the current owner or the proposed future owner.

It's like a movie that is being worked on... you don't spoiler information, but you do spoil the fact that the movie is being worked on, or planned, etc. Because in entertainment, being discussed is good for almost any property. I can't see how, as long as details are not revealed, either party would be hurt by revealing officially that there are negotiations going on.

Since no one's talking, I presume negotiations are still going on.  There's not really any other logical conclusion.  Does knowing this make you feel better?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5758 on: July 06, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »
That people are getting annoyed by the lack of information is also understandable.  That's why you do not discuss these things unless you know what the end game is.  That's why the devs tended not to pre-announce stuff too early.  That's why I said leaking this was a mistake.  It was probably an honest mistake, but let this be a lesson.  One day you'll (the general you) be in a position to know something.  You'll want to share.  You'll want the pleasure of dropping hints or making announcements.  You'll want to be recognized as someone who informed the rest of the world about something.  Its a pretty, powerful, deceptively innocent impulse.  Its also one of the most destructive ones you can have.  Never write checks you can't cash, and absolutely never write them on someone else's account.

The anxiety of being in the dark is a common, natural feeling: even I'm not immune to it.  Have mercy on the negotiating team, this wasn't their fault.  Have mercy on the people going crazy about the lack of information, this also wasn't their fault.  Even have mercy on the original leaker, because this wasn't their intent.  But remember, for the next time someone wonders why we aren't hearing about something or even for the next time you hear about something.  Is the discussion of that thing ultimately going to be good for the discussers, or not?  That should be a guiding principle for wondering why certain topics should or should not be openly discussed.

I agree with everything you said.  My comment was because while I understand we are entitled to the feeling of curiosity of wanting to know as much as we can, I don't think it makes us entitled to actually know anything.  I get being in the dark isn't easy, and I get that the team can't really talk about anything.  A bit of information may appease some people but it also makes it so the cycle starts over.  We hear something, get excited and then quickly followed by being upset when it doesn't immediately mean the game is coming back.  They have said countless time's that they will let us know if the deal falls through.  And as long as they say otherwise it is safe to assume talks are still happening, even if they are at a standstill.

But the attitude that this team owes us anything more then what they have done is insane.  They are in talks trying to get the game back, what more can we ask from them.  A daily blog about how "talks are still on going" would only make it worse.  I check on this board every day too hoping for news, but I don't get (too) upset when I don't see any news and I certainly don't feel like they owe me an explanation as to why the game isn't back yet.  Deserve is a strong word, it indicates that someone is entitled to what they are owed.  And no one on this forum is "owed" anything by Nate and Co in terms of the CoH's return.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5759 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:59 AM »
Since no one's talking, I presume negotiations are still going on.  There's not really any other logical conclusion.  Does knowing this make you feel better?

No, because that situation encompasses "Negotiations are going on and they're like Fast and Furious XVII", as well as "Well, negotiations were never officially stopped but we're exchanging an email every other month". In both situations we'd have the same information and the NDAs would still apply, but they're vastly different in their results.

To put it another way: I WOULD feel better if I knew that ACTIVE negotiations are going on. I can understand that they might take a while even if they're trying to move along. But right now I don't have enough reason to feel confident that this is going on as opposed to just negotiations being officially going on but not moving anywhere for several months.