Author Topic: I found my old PC in the attic, and I need a boot disc...  (Read 6680 times)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: I found my old PC in the attic, and I need a boot disc...
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
So what if the HDD can't be booted from? Doesn't mean it's completely gone.
Buy a USB hard drive enclosure . Install the hard drive there.  Copy whatever you need from it. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »
In that picture your drive is not plugged in, the sata cable is loose and so is the power cable.

You can also often buy an identical drive and replace the controller card and fix it. I helped someone once save their thesis that took 2 years to write by this method. When it booted and worked they were jumping up and down.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »
In that picture your drive is not plugged in, the sata cable is loose and so is the power cable.

You can also often buy an identical drive and replace the controller card and fix it. I helped someone once save their thesis that took 2 years to write by this method. When it booted and worked they were jumping up and down.

Good one IW, didn't think about the controller card.... and I guess his thesis wasn't on data security. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 01:26:25 AM »
Good one IW, didn't think about the controller card.... and I guess his thesis wasn't on data security. :)
Controller card swaps can work, but it requires a lot of technical knowhow and a very clean room to do that sort of work. plus, you have to have the luck to find the exact drive hardware for the donor board.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor