JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:04:28 AM »
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:37:17 PM by JanessaVR »

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »
Does Celerity +Stealth stack with the actual concealment pool?  I've never been sure on that.

As for costume, I agree.  I hate that the Cabal hat makes you bald.  I like the fancy one better too, but you might as well go all the way and give her the witch's leather top.  Then you could give her the back story that she was kicked out for looking better than all of the other girls.  ;D
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 04:02:24 PM »
Nicely done!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:39:53 PM »
Does Celerity +Stealth stack with the actual concealment pool?  I've never been sure on that.

As for costume, I agree.  I hate that the Cabal hat makes you bald.  I like the fancy one better too, but you might as well go all the way and give her the witch's leather top.  Then you could give her the back story that she was kicked out for looking better than all of the other girls.  ;D
Celerity Stealth does indeed stack with other stealth powers - I've personally tested this on many occasions.  Use one or the other alone, and enemies will see you if you get too close.  Use both together, and they're effectively full invisibility - I've hovered right in front of enemies, even bumping right into them, and they didn't see me.

As for the witch's leather top, it was a bit too cheesecakey for me.

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
As for the witch's leather top, it was a bit too cheesecakey for me.

Not to mention the overdone giant shiny...leather.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
Have you looked at the Mu epic powers? Would stay in theme with the electrical animations and it has analogous powers to the 3 fire powers you selected.  You could also take power sink for more immediate /additional end drain ability.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 12:29:19 AM »
Gale: Do you especially want it to throw targets further? Otherwise, just put an Accuracy in it, and you're done. You pull out 4 slots, and put 1 of them into Fly with a Zephyr -KB IO, gaining 3 slots.

Jolting Chain: This is a decent AoE damage power if slotted right. Also, you don't want to slot it for Knockback, and turn the Knockdown into Knockback. I like mine slotted with 2-3 damage procs (Explosive Strike, Apocalypse, and Gladiator's if you want to spend the money). Then mix in Acc/Dam/Rech/End, or maybe the Devastation "Chance to Hold". The 7.5% Recharge is nice, but not worth turning a useful AoE damage power with Knockdown into a scattering Knockback power.

Snow Storm: Why slot it for Slow? The slot bonuses are not all that, and combined with this and Freezing Rain, the mobs are going to be slowed enough with just a bit of Slow slotting, and even that is wasted because you really should take Chain Fences and use that to prevent movement. Remember that Chain Fences does NOT prevent Knockdowns, and it sets up Containment for AoE. Plus does AoE damage.

Freezing Rain: The main reason for this power is the -Res, not the Slow. This means that you want it up as often as possible. Take Chain Fences to keep the mobs in it, and slot it for 90% Recharge or more, and maybe a bit of End Reduction and Slow. I also like the Achilles Heel proc in it.

Hurricane: Change that last slot to the Recharge/Endurance IO. You still end up with over 100% End Red, and gain a nice 2% damage enhancement to all damaging powers.

Synaptic Overload: I would put in the last purple IO, getting 5% ranged defense is never a bad thing.

Tornado: I don't see the need for such a great Range increase in it, I'd rather see more Recharge.

RotP: I have never seen this get slotted. I think that the slots would be better used to avoid dying in the first place, such as by adding more slots in Fire Shield, putting the last slot into Paralyzing Blast (this and Coercive Persuasion would add +10% Ranged Defense), adding the Steadfast 3% Defense to either Steamy Mist or Fire Shield, etc.

Oh, and if you're not going to add the Damage proc from the Controller ATIO set to Paralyzing Blast for the set bonus, add it to the single-target Hold, for a large damage increase.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
Gale: Do you especially want it to throw targets further? Otherwise, just put an Accuracy in it, and you're done. You pull out 4 slots, and put 1 of them into Fly with a Zephyr -KB IO, gaining 3 slots.
I know some people don't like knockback, but I actually do.  It's an excellent defense against a mob of enemies that have gotten too close for comfort.

Jolting Chain: This is a decent AoE damage power if slotted right. Also, you don't want to slot it for Knockback, and turn the Knockdown into Knockback. I like mine slotted with 2-3 damage procs (Explosive Strike, Apocalypse, and Gladiator's if you want to spend the money). Then mix in Acc/Dam/Rech/End, or maybe the Devastation "Chance to Hold". The 7.5% Recharge is nice, but not worth turning a useful AoE damage power with Knockdown into a scattering Knockback power.
I didn't want it to be a damage power.  This is a Controller, not a Dominator or Blaster, and I'm looking to lock down enemies first and foremost.  You have, however, highlighted an area of concern of mine, and I can't seem to get a clear answer on this from either Mids or Paragon Wiki.  I was under the impression that slotting Knockbacks here would actually enhance Knockdown ability.  Have you personally used this power?  I'd like to hear about this issue from someone who's actually used this power in-game.  I would sacrifice the 7.5% recharge to put in a Chance for Hold, but the Knockdown is nice as well - unless that's something I can't enhance with IOs.

Snow Storm: Why slot it for Slow? The slot bonuses are not all that, and combined with this and Freezing Rain, the mobs are going to be slowed enough with just a bit of Slow slotting, and even that is wasted because you really should take Chain Fences and use that to prevent movement. Remember that Chain Fences does NOT prevent Knockdowns, and it sets up Containment for AoE. Plus does AoE damage.
Well...because I like to Slow enemies?  As for Chain Fences, that's an Immobilize, and I regard Immobilize powers as junk - an Immobilized enemy can still shoot back just fine, so I avoid those powers.  Hold them or Slow them, or don't even bother.

Freezing Rain: The main reason for this power is the -Res, not the Slow. This means that you want it up as often as possible. Take Chain Fences to keep the mobs in it, and slot it for 90% Recharge or more, and maybe a bit of End Reduction and Slow. I also like the Achilles Heel proc in it.
Disagree stongly, I used it for Slow.  As for Rechange, it has a duration of 30 seconds and currently recharges faster than that, so that is up as often as possible.  And again, for Chain Fences, I regard Immobilization as useless.

Hurricane: Change that last slot to the Recharge/Endurance IO. You still end up with over 100% End Red, and gain a nice 2% damage enhancement to all damaging powers.
Ok, gave this one a try in Mids...and yes, it's probably worth the change.  It does increase the End Cost from 0.28s to 0.29s, but a 2% damage enhancement isn't bad for that.

Synaptic Overload: I would put in the last purple IO, getting 5% ranged defense is never a bad thing.
At present, I'm currently running thin on slots to be able to try this.  If I can save on Jolting Chain above, however, that's not a bad idea.

Tornado: I don't see the need for such a great Range increase in it, I'd rather see more Recharge.
I love Range - I don't hang out where the action's going on, I hang back and support from a distance.  Accordingly, I try to ensure a minimum range of 80' on all my distance powers.  Tornado has base Range of 60', so I increased it.

RotP: I have never seen this get slotted. I think that the slots would be better used to avoid dying in the first place, such as by adding more slots in Fire Shield, putting the last slot into Paralyzing Blast (this and Coercive Persuasion would add +10% Ranged Defense), adding the Steadfast 3% Defense to either Steamy Mist or Fire Shield, etc.
If you don't slot it, you don't come back at full Health and Endurance.  With 2 staight IO Heals and 2 straight IO End Mods, I come back very nearly all the way in both.  Fire Shield has never impressed me - I used to use it all the time on my Fire Blaster, and it rarely seemed to make much a difference.  Slotting a straight IO Disorient raises the Stun duration from 15.5 seconds to 23.39 seconds, which is a good deal of time to take out any corpse-camping enemies.

Oh, and if you're not going to add the Damage proc from the Controller ATIO set to Paralyzing Blast for the set bonus, add it to the single-target Hold, for a large damage increase.
For a Controller build, you seem to be highly focused on damage here, but again, that's not my priority.  My teammates can handle dealing out the damage.  I see my role as locking down enemies for my teammates to deal with.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:20:41 PM by JanessaVR »

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »
True enough, most of my suggestions DO have to do with damage, as I think even a Controller should add to damage if possible. But if you're set on always teaming and the team includes multiple AoE damage dealers, then the low-level AoE damage of Controllers is superfluous. But it does limit the build to be good on teaming only.

As for Freezing Rain, the duration is 15 seconds, and the debuff lasts for an additional 30 (!!) seconds. But it can self-stack, so having it up as often as possible is still important, as it means that a fast-moving team never has to wait for it to recharge from the prior spawn, and a slow-moving team can stack it on the same spawn for double the -Resist.

Immobs are more useful than you think, because they allow the teammates to use other powers that would otherwise scatter opponents such as (heh) Freezing Rain. They're also useful if you have a Tank, because after a few seconds and the Tank has them aggroed on him, an Immobilize them keeps them on him. They're not used directly to stop incoming damage, but they are useful for setting up or allowing other powers to be more useful.

Slotting Knockback enhancements... increases Knockback. As in the magnitude of the Knockback if it occurs, not the chance of it occurring (which doesn't matter for Jolting Chain since it's a 100% chance to knockdown). Jolting Chain starts below 1.0 KB, so it's Knockdown, but if you enhance it, it can go above 1.0, and that's not as good. It's actually especially terribad for Jolting Chain, since it's considered to be shot by the last target hit in the chain, so the mobs will get knocked back in all directions, generally away from each other.

Also, are you dead-set on being a ranged-only Controller with this combination. Because Thunderclap is a great PBAoE power, and so is Conductive Aura. I would absolutely suggest them for any Electric/Storm, but they would be pretty useless if you'll never close into the spawn to use them.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:38:26 AM »
True enough, most of my suggestions DO have to do with damage, as I think even a Controller should add to damage if possible. But if you're set on always teaming and the team includes multiple AoE damage dealers, then the low-level AoE damage of Controllers is superfluous. But it does limit the build to be good on teaming only.
True, but once I'm high enough level to get my pets, then I'm much more independent.  But I don't mind being largely restricted to primarily teaming only for the lower levels.

As for Freezing Rain, the duration is 15 seconds, and the debuff lasts for an additional 30 (!!) seconds. But it can self-stack, so having it up as often as possible is still important, as it means that a fast-moving team never has to wait for it to recharge from the prior spawn, and a slow-moving team can stack it on the same spawn for double the -Resist.
Mids is showing me a duration of 30 seconds for Freezing Rain (and I know I have the most recent version), and the current build has a Recharge of 24.34 seconds for that power, so I'm not sure where you're seeing that 15 seconds duration.

Immobs are more useful than you think, because they allow the teammates to use other powers that would otherwise scatter opponents such as (heh) Freezing Rain. They're also useful if you have a Tank, because after a few seconds and the Tank has them aggroed on him, an Immobilize them keeps them on him. They're not used directly to stop incoming damage, but they are useful for setting up or allowing other powers to be more useful.
I got shot at and even killed way too many times by Immobilized enemies to ever want to bother taking it again.  I don't ever recall Freezing Rain scattering any enemies, just creating a snowstorm zone where everyone's moving in slow motion.  As for helping the melee types, that's what I'd use my 2x Holds for, but that's also what the Slows are useful for.  Gale was the only power people usually asked me not to use - I typically used it only when enemies got too close to me and I needed to push them back again.

Slotting Knockback enhancements... increases Knockback. As in the magnitude of the Knockback if it occurs, not the chance of it occurring (which doesn't matter for Jolting Chain since it's a 100% chance to knockdown). Jolting Chain starts below 1.0 KB, so it's Knockdown, but if you enhance it, it can go above 1.0, and that's not as good. It's actually especially terribad for Jolting Chain, since it's considered to be shot by the last target hit in the chain, so the mobs will get knocked back in all directions, generally away from each other.
Thanks for alerting me to that.  I'll need to completely revamp my slotting of Jolting Chain.  Whatever else I do, I'll be putting in a Devastation / Chance of Hold there.  I'll post an updated version of the build here when it's complete.

Also, are you dead-set on being a ranged-only Controller with this combination. Because Thunderclap is a great PBAoE power, and so is Conductive Aura. I would absolutely suggest them for any Electric/Storm, but they would be pretty useless if you'll never close into the spawn to use them.
I avoided Thunderclap precisely because I had to get right up in the action to use it.  I only took Hurricane as it's proven to be a good power for "Yikes!  The enemies are RIGHT IN MY FACE!  Turn on the close-range defenses!"  The winds pushed them back and the To Hit Debuff soon reduced them to rarely being able to land a blow on me.  And yes, my playstyle is heavily-ranged - if I could get ALL of my powers up to over 120' in Range, I would love it.  Squishies get hurt up close, I'll keep my distance.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »
[Mids is showing me a duration of 30 seconds for Freezing Rain (and I know I have the most recent version), and the current build has a Recharge of 24.34 seconds for that power, so I'm not sure where you're seeing that 15 seconds duration.]

There are a lot of powers with a lot of different durations on their effects. Mid's has room to only show one thing, usually it's set up to be the power's main Control effect, or its main Debuff effect. The thing is, the duration of the actual patch is a Summons, and for some reason, the power is set up to show the duration of the Debuffs (which are all 30 seconds) rather than the duration of the patch. Sometimes a power like Freezing Rain will show you the summons duration as well as the debuff duration (see Quicksand for an example of a power that shows the different duration of the patch versus the debuffs).

However, for Freezing Rain, Mid's doesn't show you the true story. You have to look here:
http://tomax.cohtitan.com/data/powers/power.php?id=Controller_Buff.Storm_Summoning.Fog
That leads you to the base Freezing Rain power, showing you that it summons a patch for 15 seconds. You click on the patch to see what it does, and you see that its debuffs last for 30 seconds. So you combine the two, and see that the power creates a 15 second Knockdown patch, which also puts out some major debuffs every 0.2 seconds that it exists, and the debuffs last for 30 seconds. So if you can keep mobs in the patch for the full 15 seconds, and they last another 30 (usually only AVs), they're debuffed for the full 45 seconds.

That's why Recharge is important for Freezing Rain, for two reasons: First is that if you're fighting tough fights where it can come up faster, you can really start stacking -Resist for some nice damage improvement. But the second is that the Knockdown patch only lasts for 15 seconds, and so if you want it active and knocking down mobs almost all of the time, you want a Recharge below 20 seconds.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 01:04:54 AM »
Hmmm.  This is the second instance I've run into recently where someone has given me a correction for figures in Mids.  I'm thinking it's definitely due for an upgrade.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:07 PM »
Build has been updated as per forum feedback.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »
Build updated again in response to helpful suggestions on other builds, that apply nicely to this build as well.