Author Topic: Spritehaven: A Fairy Tale RPG  (Read 4495 times)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Spritehaven: A Fairy Tale RPG
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
Update 5:

Was completely intending on having this out a few months ago, but financial problems, time management issues, work interference, exc.... Blegh, suffice to say RL bit me in the butt a little on keeping this project on track...

Anyways, I'm releasing the first playable demo of Spritehaven today, and am going to be attempting another Kickstarter campaign (or something similar) just as soon as I get reliable internet back up in my house, so I can get the proper funding to finish fleshing this game out like it deserves...

Download Link!

Instructions:
Simply download the game, and unzip the files into any folder, and run the executable, it should work. Might not run smoothly on lower end machines, I'm not 100% sure on minimum specs yet, but I'll list my laptop specs for the moment since it works for me.

Mimimum Specs:
Windows 8.1 or higher (Might work with Vista or 7, not sure... Needs to be at least a 64-bit Windows OS)
AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 2.7 GHz
8 GB RAM

Recommended....?
Better than above, but specifically would suggest at least a Quad Core Processor, and dedicated near-current generation Video Card....

New Features!
Item Placement:
  • Added new item placing mode. Options are still somewhat limited, but flexible enough for a proper demonstration. You can activate this mode by pressing Alt to toggle your cursor, and then pressing 1 (not Numpad... Yet...).
  • You can swap objects to place by pressing the [ and ] bracket keys. You can also Rotate the objects by using the Q and E keys.
  • To place the object, simply move your cursor around on the screen, and Left Click once the object is in the position you want to drop it in.
  • To remove/delete placed items, follow the same steps as for placing, but instead press 2 (not Numpad... Yet...) and then click on the desired object.

New Character options!
  • Added additional Hair and Chest options for Female characters.
  • Adjusted some cloth simulation parameters for the Skirt meshes, they should no longer "flail wildly in the air like they just don't care"... Still some clipping issues though, as there also are with other leg options...
  • Added systems to track and display current stats of your character, as well as updated some of the initial values. Movement related stats are currently the only ones that are relevant, Drop Rate stats are not in use yet...
  • Added new Zoom and Rotation buttons to the character creation screen to get a better look at the character when creating your Fairy.

NPCs!
  • NPCs are now mostly functional, and can now interact with the player. Simply walk up to one and press Enter (Again, not Numpad...) to talk to them.
  • NPCs will now either stand still, or wander a predesignated path, but will stop if in range to talk with a player.
  • Some NPCs will have more than one thing to say, talk to them a second time to hear all they have to say!

More features to come in future updates for the full version, along with a more completed "story" than the flimsily short one presented in this demo...

Notes:

I have not fully stress tested object placement mode yet, so I'm not sure how many objects you can drop before it severely hinders performance...

This demo is free to download and play and/or redistribute as much as you want, just refer people back to spritehaven.com if you do.

Yes, the character creator is still not very robust yet, and definitely no where near a replacement for City of Heroes, especially since this is still currently only single player, but it's the best I can do as a solo developer when I spend more time building up the game mechanics than the actual visuals...

Anyways, enjoy, test it, let me know if you find any glaring bugs, if it doesn't run, if your computer explodes, exc.... Just try not to fly out too far... I haven't put blocking volumes in yet to keep the player from flying out of the map...

Edit:

Oh, and because I apparently forgot to list them, here's the controls:

Controls:

Standard WASD movement, Space to fly up, and F to toggle on/off Flight. Escape to open the Pause Menu, and Alt to toggle on/off the Mouse Cursor.

/Edit

Previous Post:
Update 4: The Kickstarter is down, another campaign will be attempted once more progress has been made with the game's development.

Original Post:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've been working on this game for months, and I'm finally getting closer to the point where I'll be doing a Kickstarter soon to hopefully get enough funding to finish it.

Spritehaven (Working Title) is a Fairy-themed game I'm targeting toward younger audiences(but I'll make sure it's fun for all ages if I can), and is going to be a bit of a cross between Animal Crossing and the Tinkerbell movies. There will be a simple story, fully customizable characters(although nothing close to CoH...), as well as customizable homes, and a variety of mini-games including a "Fairy Race" where you'll be racing other (NPC) fairies across the sky to win prizes(new customization options, ability tweaking items, exc.).

Main focus for the game is going to be exploration, and the ability to fly anywhere you want.

The below link is only an early gameplay video showing just some basic stuff, but many features and art assets still need to be made or added, and Male characters while not yet developed are planned to be added as character options as well... It's a bit laggy due to some optimization that still needs to be done, and there's some other issues(glitchy cloth simulation), but this is just to give an idea of how things will look. Most art assets will need to be remade once I get funding so that I can make them with a professional non-student version of 3DS Max, so it won't look exactly the same for release, but that just means I can improve the designs and make things look better the second time...

http://youtu.be/_tXSdAgDwmk

Yes, most of the buttons in the character creation screen don't do anything yet, most haven't been hooked up, and many of the categories of customization options are still unfinished or yet to be started. Rest assured, this is nowhere near final, and many additional options will be added. The menu as it is currently is still a work in progress as well, so it's design will change too...

I'm not sure when I'll be finished setting up the Kickstarter campaign, but I intend to get it up within the next week or so at most... Any thoughts, feedback, or suggested features are welcome, just keep them mostly PG and not too complicated as again, this game is intended for kids...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:45:27 PM by Shenku »

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
Re: A little game I'm working on... Spritehaven
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
the ability to fly anywhere you want.
Hmm, Alfheim Online anyone? ;D
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
Hmm, Alfheim Online anyone? ;D

Not quite, but similar philosophy as far as the world exploration aspect goes.

Although most importantly, this will not be an MMO... As much as I think it could work as an MMO of sorts, I'm trying to be more realistic with my expectations since MMOs require so much more work to do, and require things like decent servers that I highly doubt even a successful Kickstarter campaign could get me the funds to be able to afford... Not to mention, MMOs need a ton more content to keep people playing long term, plus continuous updates with more content, exc....

At least for the moment, I'm going to try to keep things simple, but we'll see how things go.

Note: I've been considering trying to make a version specifically for the WiiU that will take advantage of motion controls with the nunchuck/Wiimote to more effectively control flight maneuvers(optional, of course. You'd be able to just use the Gamepad or Pro Controller instead if you want), which might end up similar to Alfheim, but this is more of a pipe dream until I get further into development and have an actual budget to work with to be able to afford the Dev Kit...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »
Small update: Finished with Amazon Payments verification, and am currently setting up some tier rewards for the Kickstarter campaign to help motivate people.

If any of you have suggestions for rewards that you'd be interested in for lower-higher tiers now's the time to speak up.

So far I'm looking at a concept art book(both a PDF version for lower tiers and a hardcover copy for higher tiers), some t-shirts, a limited number of in-game NPCs or shops either named by or modeled and named after you(for the NPCs, not the shops... unless your NPC is the shop owner... Think I'll add that in now that I think about it...), and some exclusive Backer-Only clothing hair and wing styles, and a random rare item. Also some early closed beta slots for people who jump in early in the campaign...

Anything else that anyone would find interesting that I should add to that list...?

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:12:57 PM »
Much needed Update:

Video
http://youtu.be/xS_Qc6lAzOc

Laptop and Kickstarter
I've semi-Macgyvered my laptop into a sorta functional state, and have resumed work on this. Current goal is to put together a demo version with a basic sandbox level for testing and feedback once the Kickstarter campaign begins, which I was putting off because I was hesitent considering I may be forced to use some of the funds for new hardware just to continue development. At least for the time being, I may be able to work around that...

So since I can at least partially work on it now, and pretty much all the prep-work has been done for the campaign page for months, but I'm going to attempt to launch the Kickstarter campaign Friday, March 6th(baring any unexpected issues), so stay tuned for updates. Also with that in mind, I find that I have to ask that once I start the campaign, it would be awesome if you all helped me get the word out since I have a relatively small circle of friends(most of whom are always crying broke) on Facebook, and am unlikely to hit a very large audience of potential backers elsewise.... So basically, if you could help spread the word about this game and help me get some traction, I would be infinitely greatful! And even more so if you actually contribute to the campaign yourself...!

/ShamelessSolicitationForMoneyAndHelp
 :-[ :P

Character Creator
Added in several new options to the character creation screen, and added functionality for changing the character's clothing color. Still need to add in functionality for saving the color choice, and the ability to change each clothing item separately, but it's starting to feel a bit more like a functioning character creation screen.

World
Revamping the demo level to improve performance by removing or replacing more expensive assets with cheaper ones.

Misc.
Added a simple randomized "blink" function to allow the character to close her eyes once in a while and stop staring at me so creepily as I test things...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Spritehaven: Kickstarter is up!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »
As promised, the Kickstarter is now live and can be found here! Go spread the word and keep your fingers crossed that I can get it funded... I know I will be...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:57:58 AM »
Made some updates to the character creator, it now supports changing the character's clothing, skin, hair, and eye color, and saves the changes. Also added some additional hair styles, shoes/boots for the feet, and bracelets for the wrists.

Also did a quick mock-up of the island that the game will take place on, although thus far it's relatively empty save some misc. foliage and a simple empty cave(No tight twisting corners or pancake room, sorry folks... :P).

http://youtu.be/2LnVzTJzuPk

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 07:18:53 AM »
Added in the option to choose your character's gender and some clothing options to go with the new male mesh, although the mesh is not final and will probably be changed out for something that is more distinctly different from the female mesh at a later date...

https://youtu.be/UrzN3xBLKlY

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:00:38 AM »
Added in the initial framework for an inventory system, which can be used to pick up, drop, use, or discard items.

https://youtu.be/7XzwQK90JJQ

Drag and Drop functionality is still on the to do list, as is the main Character Equipment screen for equipping stat boosting items, and showing current character stats.

Only 6 days remaining for the Kickstarter. If you want to donate/share it, now's the time. (Link in the first post!)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Spritehaven: Kickstarter is down...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Kickstarter campaign is over... Did not reach the funding goal... Going to hold off for the next round until I get more stuff together to show off the game itself...

Side note: is anyone even reading these posts? I feel like I'm talking to myself here...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Spritehaven: Kickstarter is down...
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »
Working some more on Spritehaven today, finally got NPCs setup to actually move around on the map instead of just standing there... Unfortunately, all they do at present is walk continuously in a loop along a spline shape, but one thing at a time I guess...

https://youtu.be/8B8-45KB5lA

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Spritehaven: A Fairy Tale RPG Early-Late Demo
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »
Was completely intending on having this out a few months ago, but financial problems, time management issues, work interference, exc.... Blegh, suffice to say RL bit me in the butt a little on keeping this project on track...

Anyways, I'm releasing the first playable demo of Spritehaven today, and am going to be attempting another Kickstarter campaign (or something similar) just as soon as I get reliable internet back up in my house, so I can get the proper funding to finish fleshing this game out like it deserves...

Download Link!

Instructions:
Simply download the game, and unzip the files into any folder, and run the executable, it should work. Might not run smoothly on lower end machines, I'm not 100% sure on minimum specs yet, but I'll list my laptop specs for the moment since it works for me.

Mimimum Specs:
Windows 8.1 or higher (Might work with Vista or 7, not sure... Needs to be at least a 64-bit Windows OS)
AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 2.7 GHz
8 GB RAM

Recommended....?
Better than above, but specifically would suggest at least a Quad Core Processor, and dedicated near-current generation Video Card....

New Features!
Item Placement:
  • Added new item placing mode. Options are still somewhat limited, but flexible enough for a proper demonstration. You can activate this mode by pressing Alt to toggle your cursor, and then pressing 1 (not Numpad... Yet...).
  • You can swap objects to place by pressing the [ and ] bracket keys. You can also Rotate the objects by using the Q and E keys.
  • To place the object, simply move your cursor around on the screen, and Left Click once the object is in the position you want to drop it in.
  • To remove/delete placed items, follow the same steps as for placing, but instead press 2 (not Numpad... Yet...) and then click on the desired object.

New Character options!
  • Added additional Hair and Chest options for Female characters.
  • Adjusted some cloth simulation parameters for the Skirt meshes, they should no longer "flail wildly in the air like they just don't care"... Still some clipping issues though, as there also are with other leg options...
  • Added systems to track and display current stats of your character, as well as updated some of the initial values. Movement related stats are currently the only ones that are relevant, Drop Rate stats are not in use yet...
  • Added new Zoom and Rotation buttons to the character creation screen to get a better look at the character when creating your Fairy.

NPCs!
  • NPCs are now mostly functional, and can now interact with the player. Simply walk up to one and press Enter (Again, not Numpad...) to talk to them.
  • NPCs will now either stand still, or wander a predesignated path, but will stop if in range to talk with a player.
  • Some NPCs will have more than one thing to say, talk to them a second time to hear all they have to say!

More features to come in future updates for the full version, along with a more completed "story" than the flimsily short one presented in this demo...

Notes:

I have not fully stress tested object placement mode yet, so I'm not sure how many objects you can drop before it severely hinders performance...

This demo is free to download and play and/or redistribute as much as you want, just refer people back to spritehaven.com if you do.

Yes, the character creator is still not very robust yet, and definitely no where near a replacement for City of Heroes, especially since this is still currently only single player, but it's the best I can do as a solo developer when I spend more time building up the game mechanics than the actual visuals...

Anyways, enjoy, test it, let me know if you find any glaring bugs, if it doesn't run, if your computer explodes, exc.... Just try not to fly out too far... I haven't put blocking volumes in yet to keep the player from flying out of the map...

Edit:

Oh, and because I apparently forgot to list them, here's the controls:

Controls:

Standard WASD movement, Space to fly up, and F to toggle on/off Flight. Escape to open the Pause Menu, and Alt to toggle on/off the Mouse Cursor.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:44:48 PM by Shenku »