Author Topic: Time for some honesty in case of a relaunch.  (Read 1406 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Time for some honesty in case of a relaunch.
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:55:12 AM »
So I like most Paragon residents tend to avoid acknowledging the negative things. But with all of these rumors of a relaunch getting more and more attention I want to say a few things. Some of you may disagree which is fine. But unless these issues are fixed then even if we DO have a relaunch I can see it going straight down fast because of these problems. And before I begin let me just come out of the closet saying that I don't blame Ncsoft "entirely" for the shut down. I hold to the belief that certain things about our game caused our community to decrease in numbers and unfortunately in quality.
So here's a list of things that I believe ABSOLUTELY need to be removed or changed.

1. NCsoft
   There. Got that one out of the way. Moving on...

2. AE
   This would take number 1 if I weren't such a people pleaser.
We all know it AE ruined our game. Players turned it into a tool that made the rest of the world irrelevant. You could go from 1-50 in under 2 hours and never have to leave the building. This resulted in an overabundance of farmers. And the amazing creative genius of the people who DID use it for what it was designed for got swept under the rug. There was no reason to play the game anymore. Just get me to 50 and I'll pay you. I remember losing half of my guild because of this and the following reason.

3. Pay to win
   This is sort of a new age MMO complaint among gamers. The ability to buy a stat boosting item from an in game store with real world currency. This was a very poor decision and it resulted in some players just buying their way through the game.

4. Out of ideas so lets just start making stuff up.
   The newer powersets coming out toward the end were making people scratch their heads.. Psionic Melee? Kinetic Melee? Savage Melee? Wind Control?
Some powersets that were exclusively for a certain class were getting shoved into other classes. Martial Arts for example.
If this had kept going the difference between archetypes would have been watered down. I could just SEE the tank getting "Empathy Melee" at some point. Or the Blaster getting "Gore Blast" or something equally ridiculous.

5. I can't be Ice Melee because it's terrible.
   I'm sure if you're disagreeing with everything I say already than surely you can agree with this one at least. LOTS of our powersets were useless and there was really no reason to use them beyond theming your toon. I really liked the idea of being a Gravity/Sonic controller. But with the way the game was built there was no reason NOT to be a Fire/Kin. Wanna be a Trick Arrow Defender? Not on my team.

6. Freedom vs Virtue
   This is an indisputable fact. If you were a Virtue player. You hated Freedom players. And Freedom players hated you.
This one really frustrated me because a community that takes such high pride in itself was actually torn in two because of this. I never understood it.

6.5 ERpers and Pvp Elitists.
   Go back to jail...

7. HEY! Did you know there are other servers?
  This one is self explanatory because of the reason listed above our numbers took a huge blow.

So if we do ever see out beloved City of Heroes again I think it would be wise to fix these issues. I personally blame these issues for the downfall of our game. In other words shutting us down became a good business deal. And we can do BETTER!

I'm sure I missed some stuff. Forgive me if this came off as harsh.
Luv you guys :)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: Time for some honesty in case of a relaunch.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:16 AM »
It is very unlikely any development will be done with Classic CoH. It isn't impossible just unlikely.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:57:46 AM »
I expect that if CoH came back it would be much like what became of Horizons/Istaria but maybe without the name change. Just a small, niche game with a dedicate fan base that won't change very much from what it was. It'll just keep chugging along much the same as it was so long as there are people willing to play it and people willing to run it. I think hoping for much more than that is asking to be disappointed.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 06:05:31 AM »
This will only get ugly as people disagree about things they are passionate about that other people think need to be removed. Locked.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal