Author Topic: looks like nexon starting a hostile takeover of ncsoft  (Read 3833 times)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: looks like nexon starting a hostile takeover of ncsoft
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:12:11 AM »
Hm.  One wonders what that might do with the negotiations... and/or if Nexon, should it win the day, would even just say "no, we'll start CoH back up, thanks!" and actually do that instead of sell it.

Or if it would just derail everything... 

Maybe Nexon America would get CoH up, because at least they'd (maybe?) have an idea what might work and want CoH to be back...?

Very interesting indeed. 

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:18:57 AM »
I was thinking something Simular houtex.

Except below the article there's another one. Were they was buying shares in an American developer company. So that the company would colaberate with their Japanese company. Which got me thinking maybe Nexon are trying to find away to blend the aesthetic that both cultures like to reach a larger audience?

I don't know, I like to go out into left field a lot. LOL!

Or maybe there having them work together to figure out. What American games the American developers are making. Would work well in the Asian market while. See what Japanese games the Japanese developers are making that would work well in the American market?

*edited to add* Either way, they haven't lost interest in the American market.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:32:39 AM »
At least this proves that before this Nexon wasn't the puppet masters of NCSOFT.  Now they want to be the puppet masters NCSOFT.   ;D

Originally the sale of the original chunk of stock to Nexon was going to buy Nexon a development partner.  But if I remember correctly one joint game they were working on got canceled.  Ignoring the money lost since the purchase, I think Nexon is of the mind that NCSOFT isn't putting their all into this partnership.

Now what makes me wonder, with Nexon asking stockholders NOT to reelect the board, whether all the overblown predictions for NCSOFT stock by KDB Daewoo, like the price going to 600K, will convince other stockholders to join Nexon.  They may get bitten by their own hype machine created by whispers to analysts.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:28 PM »
The winds of change are certainly conspiring, but I can't really see this through COH-colored glasses. If I am to invoke my paranoia in any direction, that direction would still be that our game was possibly canceled in part to make NCSoft look better to Nexon. And it probably would have had that effect. Which is to say, I don't think Nexon would want to bring our game back now, any more than they would have wanted it involved in their partnership then.

Look, these corporations don't have a dream that they want to achieve. They aren't riding Kickstarter's promises or doing it for the love of a genre; they aren't Richard Garriott or Chris Roberts or CCP. They'll never be happy with a game that has 170,000 satisfied customers, if they can have 770,000 mostly-dissatisfied (but paying) customers. If mobile looks profitable, they'll go mobile. I don't think they're "trying to be Blizzard," but by now it's RIGHT THERE that they're beholden to the rising dollar schizophrenia of corporatism---which is just numbers. We're just numbers, and so are the studios who rally beneath their shadow.

Western super hero MMOs don't compute for them. The genre has been industry-tested by four publishers, three studios, and four games. I believe some design philosophies are partly to blame for their small splash compared to other genres, but regardless, it is what it is.

Much like horror sci-fi (The Secret World) or science fiction MMOs after TOR, super heroes are going to be relegated to smaller publishers or studios who are doing the genre because they care about it, and don't need profits to raise by some stupendous amount every quarter. Seeing as how the industry and its associated risks are opening up more to idealistic studios and producers (including those born from our community), thanks to changes in distribution etc., we should be glad that this is the case.

In fact, my biggest COH-related worry is that all three fan-made games will launch and enjoy some measure of success, prompting Big Corporate Bully Company to metaphorically "build a Starbucks across the street". (As that is what the almighty dollar would command them to do).

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
NCSOFT was more of a garage corporation way back at the begining.  I don't even think they were doing games until they stumbled into Lineage and it just blew up.  It was Angry Birds, it was Candy Crush, it brought in way more money than their original core business so they dumped that and went full time into MMO development.  Lineage II was as big as Lineage for the first few years.  Strapped with cash they went looking for other studios to bring in to the fold or support in the west, wanting to get in on the UO and Everquest populations.  So they bought ArenaNet, a company founded by 3 guys from Blizzard whose Starcraft RTS was blowing up in Korea.  They bought Destination Studios to get Lord British, the man behind the Ultima universe, as an employee.  Those were prestigious hires back then.  They invested in Cryptic for City of Heroes, NetDevil for Auto Assault, two MMOs well outside of the fantasy comfort zone for MMOs.

But NA/EU weren't all that into their big money makers from Korea.  Then WoW hit in the west and that was the end of any major income from Lineage/Lineage II in the west.  Their western investments were hit and miss.  ArenaNet had a unique business model for the time.  City of Heroes was an MMO set in an alternate present, coming on the scene during the early superhero movie revival and did OK for itself in the first few year.

AION came out and did very well in both Korea and overseas.  But this was after they got bitten real bad by Tabula Rasa and I think that was the time they became very conservative in western development.  Their last big investment was Carbine, who was founded by some of the initial WoW developers, and it's "WoW in Space" MMO WildStar.  Sadly they thought that a subscription model could still work and doubled down on the now old WoW model of end game raid content over everything else.

With their income stream somewhat stagnate, they returned looking at success in Korea and Asia first.  Blade & Soul, a rather sexy MMO, and expanding into the new and unsaturated Chinese market became their focus.  So they looked toward friendly partners in Asia and Nexon was willing, only if they can get some skin in the game with a major stock purchase.  NCSOFT's CEO gladly sold them most of his shares in the company he founded.  And after two or so years Nexon is now regretting that decision.  Their joint development company Nsquare, stopped development on their first game, a tie-in to Nexon's anime style MMO Mabinogi.  The only other game they are working on is MapleStory 2, a quasi 3D, vaguely Mindcraft like, sequel to the grindfest MapleStory.  That's in CB at the moment.

But as we all know, if you followed any of my posts on NCSOFT's financials, B&S didn't blow up in Korea, except by eating into AION's home numbers.  China expansion of B&S and GW2 isn't panning out anywhere near what was hyped.  Things aren't as bad as Zynga, Rovio and King.  NCSOFT isn't a one hit wonder but it's now are saturated marketplace.  They are desperately looking for their next big hit.  Lineage is 30% of their income with Lineage 2 and AION being 18%.  How many more years can they keep money from Lineage rolling in?

They there are home front problems in the form of the current Korean government wanting to expand their minor online exclusion system and defining Internet addiction as a major problem on the rank of gambling, alcohol and drugs.  And to pay for treatment centers for this newly defined addiction is an additional tax on online game companies in Korea.

So what was once a ride to the top for NCSOFT founders have become a sludgefest in a saturated market with a hostile national government and now a hostile partner.  It'll be interesting to see what shakes out of this, but in anycase I don't think it'll mean Nexon would be interested in selling CoH.  They are just looking for a better commitment from NCSOFT on their joint games.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
All of that makes sense; and is pretty much aligned with my belief that this corporation stopped caring about games or genres or communities a long time ago, and became a soulless zombie whose only thought is more money. It exploits and feeds on development studios' love of games like some kind of parasite. Decisions about what genre or game idea to explore are made out of heartless calculations.

I can't tell you for sure if I think anything's "wrong" with that in any absolute sense. But as an explorer of these worlds, I want heart and soul to be a part of the package; that's my preference, and it's why I've been gravitating away from soulless publishers, and toward independent studios whose games mean something more to the people selling them.

So, yeah, I'll be way over somewhere else. But more power to ya, NCSoft, keep bein' you. :roll:

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:24:45 PM »
By the way John Smedley announced today, he's leaving Sony and takin all SOE's games with him, and is forming an independent studio, Daybreak Game Company.

(There's your WTF news of the day right there.)

Maybe he's joining the ranks of industry veteran producers who are wising up?

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:02 PM »
By the way John Smedley announced today, he's leaving Sony and takin all SOE's games with him, and is forming an independent studio, Daybreak Game Company.

(There's your WTF news of the day right there.)

Maybe he's joining the ranks of industry veteran producers who are wising up?

Totally NOT how this reads:    http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/02/02/smedley-announces-soe-is-no-more-becomes-daybreak-game-company/

SOE was sold off to a VC firm and he's still in charge, for now......
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:22:50 PM »
Yep, SOE was bought out by another firm.

Here's the post on the forums

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.236045/

He's still running things for now but he doesn't own the games. :(

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:09:19 AM »
SOE has been on the auction block for at least a year now, basically a casualty of lagging game sales and people not trusting Sony to run a game company after the first PSN hack.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 04:12:00 AM »
@Therain93 you're right, and after doing some research, ugh. :-\

I'll let my comment on SOE/DGC's main forum speak for itself:

Good luck and godspeed, Smedley and team. I don't have any unearned faith in this investment management firm's ability to nurture the creative needs and creative capital of your game studio; and if comments here and elsewhere are any indication, Columbus Nova has already devalued DGC's stable and associated consumer confidence simply through the act of purchasing it. (I visited Columbus Nova's website. It suggests all of the MMO industry competence of a 90 year-old knitting enthusiast taking over the financial management of an NFL team.)

Smedley, I hope that you'll do the absolute best with what the universe has apparently handed you; but I'll remind you that these kinds of soulless corporate shenannigans have absolutely nothing to do with us, and are collectively the reason why we are leaving in droves for Greenlit independent studios and Kickstarter MMOs. For over a decade now, we've watched what dinosaur corporatism does to worlds that we care about. We've wised up; we've earned this wisdom, and all the money in the world can't put that cat back into its bag.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »
We wouldn't want Nexon to run COH anyway.  They have a horrible track record with supporting their games.  Customer service tends to be extremely slow, if you get it at all. 

Also recently Vindictus just spent about a month with horrible lag/unstable servers before they even acknowledged a problem.  Then it took like another week or two for them to do a server restart (not sure why they don't have weekly maintenance/restart in the first place....).

Surelle

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
The only thing I'm really hoping right now is that the CoX zombie rez is soooo low on NCSoft's radar that it gets forgotten for a while if it hasn't already, and then once things settle down again, Team Hail Mary can somehow pick up the thread and continue with it.  It was never a certainty by far, and was moving at glacial pace as it was.  Let's hope rather than it being brought up and shot right down in an overheated argument between NCSoft and Nexon, that people just keep their heads low and wait for things to settle down before doing too much more for i23.